Daytona cobra coupe

Hi all,
Does anyone have any knowledge of the Daytona Cobra coupe in kit form in the UK or supplies the UK.
Looking at options of building one in the near future, I dont want to buy one already built.

Cheers

Factory Five sells one and I know they have shipped some to Europe but not certain on the UK specifically. I am in the process of building one if you have any questions. Also here is a link to our blog The Homeschool Coupe Here is a forum of other builders as well with far better craftsman than myself FFR Type 65 Coupe - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum Finally here is a link to one of the best builds I have seen locally http://s1184.beta.photobucket.com/user/65_Daytona_Coupe/library/

Thanks Tim, very interesting.
I have requested info from Factory Five.
Question... how do you find the quality of components and how is your build going.
Some builds can be easy and some are hard work... I don't mind a challenge.
Very helpfull Cheers

The build has to me seemed remarkably easy from a mechanical standpoint but I haven't gotten to the body work yet. Quality of bolt on parts like shift levers, switches overall are variable depending on your expectations but the major components are quite nice. I ordered a basic kit and used a donor mustang for a lot of the bits so I can't speak to the quality of everything in a complete kit though others on the forum I linked to certainly can and they are a great bunch of guys always willing to talk about their experience good and bad. I have seen builds that range from 30,000 to 50,000 depending on engines, brake packages etc.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
The FFR Type 65 is a well thought out and engineered kit. My experience with that particular kit is a good 5-6 years ago now, but I suspect that they have improved the molds and addressed some of the fitment issues that I saw back then. In particular the doors were difficult to fit correctly, but not nearly the magnitude of fitting the GT40 doors. The front clip was also difficult to fit to the cowl as it seemed the two molds may have been done off of two different bucks in regard to body lines and contour. It was not an absolute bastard, but took a bit of filler and patience. I did not see that car through paint as the customer wanted it only done to primer - but it came out pretty nice.
The chassis of the Type 65 is very similar to that of the FFR Roadster and is well engineered, jig welded and exceptionally strong. There are a number of people that open track these cars and some that compete wheel to wheel with the appropriate rollcage and fuel cell modifications.
If I were to build one, it would include an IRS rear suspension and alloy 302 block stroked to 331. Running a 351 variant requires modification to the hood if you are going to install an air cleaner on the carb.

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
I like the Daytona Coupe and I'm a fan of Factory Five. I do wish it was more "original looking". Both the front and rear look very different than an original to me.

Keith,
give this guy a ring, names Dave and he has a project on the go at the moment and should be able to help.

07785 702005

Mike

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
You might contact Kirkham Motor Sports in Utah; they have had a Daytona coupe in the works for a while. It will be the best one out there, just like their Cobras.

Keith

although the shape of the FF Daytona Coupe is not original in all dimensions, in my opinion it is much nicer than the original one. It´s proportions are fitting to each other much better, the original shape is more like a cheap boob job. The roof does not quite fit the proportions of the rest.
Just my humble opinion.

TOM

I agree Tom,
This is one of the nicest beasts around, what say you all ?

Attachments

• 2009-shelby-daytona-coupe-le-mans-edition-rear-side.jpg
    2009-shelby-daytona-coupe-le-mans-edition-rear-side.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 22,591
  • 2009-shelby-daytona-coupe-le-mans-edition-side.jpg
    2009-shelby-daytona-coupe-le-mans-edition-side.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 5,335
Keith

although the shape of the FF Daytona Coupe is not original in all dimensions, in my opinion it is much nicer than the original one. It´s proportions are fitting to each other much better, the original shape is more like a cheap boob job. The roof does not quite fit the proportions of the rest.
Just my humble opinion.

TOM

Depends which one of the six originals your looking at, none of them are exactly the same! The 'New' SPF Brock /Shelby examples are a bit larger all round.

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Sorry for the sh#tty photo but I has a chance to tour the Simone collection this week and see the real deal. IMHO I've yet to see a replica that has the raw look of a coupe. The idea that these were hand built experiments adds to the legend.

Attachments

• coupe.jpg
    coupe.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 919
Back