Lola MK6 GT replica? Feedback required.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
One mistake??? that was made on the Lola - you cannot open the rear clip unless both doors are open.
Perhaps done for safety - to stop the clip "parachuting" behind the car.

Very pretty and small car - I took loads of photographs fro Rob Beddington back in 2004 when the car attanded the LMC

Ian

yes I do believe the gt40 is "better" ofcorse, its the more updated version I guess...but I also do believe that the Lola has some potential to make it better/stronger and more useful...
you can compare it to what they said in the old days about Steve Austin :D who? well, here the line they said when it starts...

It ran as follows: “Steve Austin. Astronaut. A man barely alive. We can rebuild him. We have the technology. We can make him better than he was before. Better. Stronger. Faster than before.

though it doesn't cost the same like the "six million dollar man" lol :D

bigd.jpg
bigc.jpg
bigb.jpg
There is one for sale...

Lola Mk 6GT Chevrolet

Stunning coupe and prototype for the GT40 program. Originally built for John Mecom and driven by Augie Pabst at Nassau, Sebring, Brands Hatch etc. The only Mk6 fitted with a Chevrolet engine. at approx 820kgs and with a potential 540 bhp it has to be a winning car in historic racing.

540bhp on just 820kg will give it wings :D
lovely little car.

biga.jpg

bige.jpg

http://www.classicdriver.fr/de/find/4100_results.asp?sorderby=tblManufacturers%2EsName+ASC%2C+tblModels%2EsModel+ASC%2C+bOfficial+DESC%2C+tblCars%2EsType+ASC&action=simple%5Fsearch&coopid=0&lmanufacturer=10296&lcurrency=7&next=4100%5Fresults%2Easp&whatbutton.x=0&dealerid=0&bsubmit=true&lmodelflag=14814&bclicked=false&bshowstock=Falsch&page=0&lCarID=1822163

must be expensive I guess...
it has my year of birth 1963 :D

I see it's been a while, but have you made any progress with your plans Rob. Very interesting project, I for one would be up for building a mk6.
Sorry for being impolite, this is my first post, my name is Mark Palliser, great forum.

How many original Mk6's were there? Allen Grant, former Cobra driver, has one in the Vancouver, WA area. He has owned it for decades, but it's not fully restored yet.

2 original old pictures>>

lola_gt.JPG

lola_gt_mk6_rear.JPG

Lola MK6 GT 1963, Eric Broadley (right) was taken by road to the 24 Hours of Le Mans 1963.
The following year, Ford hired after Broadley, fielded its own models, closely derived from this prototype.

only 3? thats not much...and indeed read somewhere the first came with the 4.7 ford but the other ordered a big chevy in it with lots of power...
guess the blue one came later then the green one?

they are pretty different...
what to choose :D
I think I take the wide flared blue car...or the green...hm, the chevy powered monster I choose. :D

Lola%20Ford%20MK%206%20GT%20-%20GT40%20PROTOTYPE%20-%201963.jpg

biga.jpg

I suppose the 289 Green Lola GT MK6 original is equivalent to the 289 Cobra and the bigger Blue Mecom Lola GT MK6 is equivalent to the 427S/C in terms of bodyshape.
Its a shame that the Huntington Lola does not exist; I assume they (Haas Canada?) have the Archives or is it not part of there deal?
Regards Allan

I think they are both beautiful cars and would be very happy to own either. I like the green color best. And, can't hlep but like them... look what they developed into...

also nice to read, I bought a few Lotus Europa (which I also like) books and then also came across the GT40 story/connection (sort off)

here a part of such on wiki>>

To this end Ford began negotiation with Lotus, Lola, and Cooper. Cooper had no experience in GT or prototype and its performances in Formula One were declining.
Lotus was already a Ford partner for their Indy 500 project. Ford executives already doubted the ability of Lotus to handle this new project. Colin Chapman probably had similar views as he asked a high price for his contribution and insisted that the car (which became the Lotus Europa) should be named a Lotus-Ford, an attitude that can be viewed as polite refusal.
The Lola proposal was chosen, since Lola had used a Ford V8 engine in their mid-engined Lola Mk 6 (also known as Lola GT). It was one of the most advanced racing cars of the time, and made a noted performance in Le Mans 1963, even though the car did not finish, due to low gearing and so revving out on the Mulsanne Straight. However, Eric Broadley, Lola Cars' owner and chief designer, agreed on a short-term personal contribution to the project without involving Lola Cars.

and indeed the Lotus Europa has also some dna :D
its low and mid engine longitudinal etc expect a big V8...but its very light, here a such Europa (more S1 type), the later ones had lower wings on the back for better view.

image-thumb

and a special version the 62>>

62_001_a.jpg

Are there any pictures of the chassis? I know there's a "see through" of it in several books. But it's hard to see the exact configuration & details. I'm really struck by the simularities between the 6 & the Europa from nose to back of doors.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
This is the guy who had the foresight to buy a "used up" racecar and hang on to it all these years.....

Attachments

• A Grant.jpg
    A Grant.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 404
Last edited:
Back