What are your favourite sayings?

Winston Churchill at a party....

"Mame, I may be stinking drunk, but at least I'm not ugly like you, and I'll be sober in the morning"

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
The secrets to success is the ability to suffer failure after failure without losing enthusiasm. Orville Wright

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
It is a damn poor mind indeed which can't think of at least two ways to spell any word.
Andrew Jackson, Dyslexic.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
It's not that I'm always RIGHT, just that I'm never WRONG...
Well except for one time long ago... And as it eventually turned out, I was really right all along!

Mike Pass

Supporter
Wit

George Melly, ' You have more lines on your face than I do."
Mick Jagger, "They're laughter lines."
George Melly, " Surely nothing is that funny."

George Bernard Shaw to an attractive lady at a party, "Would you sleep with me for £10,000?"
Young lady, " Yes."
George Bernard Shaw, "Would you sleep with me for £1?"
Young lady, "Certainly not. What do you think I am?"
George Bernard Shaw, "Madam we have already established what you are, we're just haggling about the price."

Cheers
Mike

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Alligator mouth, parakeet ass. Shaw was in fact so frightened of sex with women that he is reported to have had it one or twice at the most- never again. Quite the misogynist, actually.One wonders what price would have been low enough not to scare him off.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
totally. Actually, I think the story on Churchill is that he was seated across from a very ugly woman at a dinner party, and (as usual) he was in his cups. Whereupon he peered over at her, and said something like "Madam, you are the ugliest woman I have ever sat at a dinner table with" She said, "Mr Churchill, you, sir, are drunk!!"

And THEN he said, "yes, madam, but in the morning, I will be sober and you will STILL be ugly......"

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Jim & Jim,

Churchill's famously quoted retort was actually to Lady Astor.
Lady Astor was one of the first elected women in parliament.
They had many 'coming togethers' both in private and on the floor of the Commons.
Lady Astor's political convictions were to say the least very dubious
and it is thought that in private Churchill picked holes in them.
Apparently, this exchange happened in the corridors of the House
and was witnessed by several contemporary Members.
I haven't looked on Wiki,( be interesting to see what circumstances they attribute it to ) just quoting a Master i used to know whose Father
was in the Lords.
I believe Lady Astor was partially American parentage, not 100% sure on that, memory dims after time...

Last edited:
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

-Haile Selassie I

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
totally. Actually, I think the story on Churchill is that he was seated across from a very ugly woman at a dinner party, and (as usual) he was in his cups. Whereupon he peered over at her, and said something like "Madam, you are the ugliest woman I have ever sat at a dinner table with" She said, "Mr Churchill, you, sir, are drunk!!"

And THEN he said, "yes, madam, but in the morning, I will be sober and you will STILL be ugly......"

And I heard that the story does not end there as Lady Astor responded:
If you were my husband, I would put poison in your tea!
To which Churchill responded:
Madam, if you were my wife, I'd DRINK IT!!! :shocked:

Back