P1001

I like the "Frankenstein" analogy, it makes me wonder if a person who has a heart/lung transplant from another ( dead ) human being is the same person he was, or are they a clone, or a replica, or some other sub standard individual ? For me, I dont give a damn if it keeps them alive and well, and doing the things they should be doing. Frankenstein

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I like the "Frankenstein" analogy, it makes me wonder if a person who has a heart/lung transplant from another ( dead ) human being is the same person he was, or are they a clone, or a replica, or some other sub standard individual ? For me, I dont give a damn if it keeps them alive and well, and doing the things they should be doing. Frankenstein

Rather like the question when Shelby received his heart transplant: Was CS "repowered" or was the bartender "rebodied"????

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Well, on this, there isn't any doubt at all: since all the heart does is pump blood around, and since consciousness and identity reside in the brain and nowhere else, as far as we can tell, the person is the same person whether or not they have their original heart, lungs, liver, kidney, etc. And, since virtually all cells in all organs (except a few) turn over regularly, in a sense the heart you were born with isn't the same one you have now. Most likely, all the cells have been replaced naturally over the years.

If I recall correctly, though, the neurons in your central nervous system DON'T get replaced, so you have in some way the same brain (or lack thereof) with which you started out life.

Now- when we get to brain transplants, things are going to get a bit sticky..... (see jokes thread)

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Jimbo,

Quick off thread question: Are the cells in a transplanted hart also replaced, over time, does it become the recipients hart/cells?

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
My guess is that yes, they do divide and replace themselves, but not with cells from the recipient- they are still genetically cells from the donor tissue. From time to time, small biopsies are taken from the transplanted heart, to monitor for rejection, so at least in theory this information would be available. The blood, of course, is still made by the recipient's marrow, so what you might find in a biopsy would be heart tissue from the donor, but blood cells from the recipient.

Well.. it's all been a tad stressful around here... not made any easier by two boxes of original, or original-style (got to be careful here) parts, getting stuck in NZ customs. I had rounded up figures and the chaps in Auckland demanded to know more, making me have to try and fill in commercial invoices, half of the jargon, I didn't understand! The stupid thing is, the figures don't matter at the end of the day, as the very same parts will be returning to the UK once the car is complete, and the tax refunded. The boxes contained engine parts, gaskets, Schafer bearings (OUCH", GT40-Smiths instruments, and the other box; drive shafts, rubber doughnuts and spiders. I still haven't heard if they have made it to CCD!

I have no idea of the true value of the finished car. At the moment it is insured on an agreed historic car basis for £500k, but I'm struggling to think how I can afford the next premium, as it'll cost more as the car progresses.

Grateful of all your support. I'll keep you updated and I have a nice article about GT40P/1001 to post here, when I get time. Regards... Andrew

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
,....two boxes of original, or original-style (got to be careful here) parts, getting stuck in NZ customs.

That's got to be nerve-wracking.... I shipped a set of headers to another forum member in Norway a while back and it disappeared for a while. Very scary....

Pleased to say, the two boxes of pretty unique parts arrived at CCD today, about three weeks late, but at least in one (two) pieces. Also received a couple of photographs from NZ showing the magnesium pedal box is ready to be dry fitted... Andrew

Attachments

• DSC01560.JPG
    DSC01560.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 586
  • DSC01561.JPG
    DSC01561.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 532
The car is looking great. Will the car be completely finished, painted trimmed in NZ? Can't wait to see it finished.

OK... then we'll have less of the build and more of the history... if that's what people like Ron wants. Thanks to Ian Anderson, whose family kindly travelled to their homeland's newspaper and searched through their old records for more than a couple of hours. They found this interesting article about GT40P/1001 which was raced out in South Africa during 1966 in the Springbok series. Please let me know what you want out of this... photos and stories about the history associated with my car, and/or build reports? I wouldn't wish to upset anyone else... and yes, thank you, Dave, the car will be complete and painted in it's 1967 Sid Taylor colourscheme of white with racing green stripes... Andrew

Attachments

• Page 1.JPG
    Page 1.JPG
    644.9 KB · Views: 415
  • Page 2.jpg
    Page 2.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 349
  • Page 3.jpg
    Page 3.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 351
  • Page 4.jpg
    Page 4.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
OK... then we'll have less of the build and more of the history... if that's what people like Ron wants.

Andrew,
For the avoidance of doubt,

I follow build threads with great fascination, whether it is replica, or other builds because it is interesting how people build, interpret and create something personal to them. The imagination and craftsmanship of some people on this forum is amazing.

Further, I find your journey to accumulate and recreate an automobile from original parts be it body work, tub, components and the like truly fascinating and I'm sure it will be fantastic when you're done. Again, it is an expression of something personal to you and I appreciate this for what it is, a fascinating build thread, but not a restoration. As by your own admission… “Basically, my car is a mongrel of original GT40 parts.”

Additionally, I follow the Original Section with great fascination from the standpoint of original cars, their provenance and whereabouts, etc. and that is the source of my consternation.
I don’t see a connection to any particular original car (having parts from 1001, 1029, 1041, 1042, 1045 and others mentioned throughout this thread). Nor do I see you trying to recreate it at a point of its history (vintage ownership, particular race or era, etc.)
This reminds me of CSX2259, a fascinating discussion, some or many original components, but not an original car.
IMHO, clippings or other documents from any of the cars that sourced parts is equally relevant and irrelevant to the car you’re building and I’d rather find it in the build threads than in the Original GT40s section.
Please don’t change your behavior in this thread for me or anyone else. I (like plenty of other people) find the build fascinating. My objection is the classification, not what you’re doing or what you’re sharing. Unless you’re attempting to manufacture provenance that doesn’t exist for resale value which I trust you’re not.
Best,

Ron

Why do people have to attack or precisely classify what Andrew has been doing? He’s never claimed his project to be anything more or less than what it is and it really defies the typical descriptions of restorations or fabrications.

No it’s not a restoration of a mostly original car, but honestly this is the best description of what he’s doing. With race cars parts are always being swapped between cars or replaced, and having a true original is extremely rare. The best a restorer can hope for is a snapshot in time.

No it’s not a replica because replicas are made from mostly or wholly newly manufactured parts sometimes from original tooling, sometimes from completely new tooling to original or near original specs.

No it’s not a clone because clones are made from period production cars with the period correct go fast parts that makes it a copy of a race car.

Andrew has taken a tremendous amount time, passion and money to document and create/recreate one of the most wonderful race cars in history, and presents it as such. I think he should be extremely proud of what he has accomplished and what he will have at the end of his journey.

It’s a much better use of original parts then collecting dust or rotting out behind a shop. It would be a shame if he was run off from this forum because his project doesn’t follow someone’s narrow view of what fits here.

Back