Gt 40 mk2 gt 106

Chuck

Supporter
Very nice. Beautiful restoration. Curious about the Mark IV dash. Wonder if some liberties were taken with the restoration.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Very nice. Beautiful restoration. Curious about the Mark IV dash. Wonder if some liberties were taken with the restoration.

Mk II "B"s had that MK IV type dash. Many MK II "A" cars were converted when the roll cages and other updates were done.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Mk II "B"s had that MK IV type dash. Many MK II "A" cars were converted when the roll cages and other updates were done.

Lots of interesting details: throttle pull on the right; gear oil in the FIA luggage boxes; engine oil tank in the back (I thought that happened later in the Mk II program), etc. I wonder how those decisions were made in this "restoration."

I can assure you there is not 1 part on this car from GT106. There was not even an attempt to duplicate GT106. Any sggestion that this is GT106 is a complete fraud. This is a copy of a late Mk1 style tub and nothing like an early GT series tub let alone an early MK2 of any type.

Since GT106 I thought was never rebuilt to MKII 1966 specs with the bodywork shown on the link. I thought it had the 1965 Long nose clips. Even if it was used as a test rig for the new bodywork which I do not beleive it did. Why would you rebuild to 1967 standards with a 1967 MKIV dashboard fitted only in the 1967 season to the new MKIIB? A MKIIA holley? 1966 MKIIA twin aluimnium luggage boxes. A MKI front clip you can see the centred Nasar duct the MKII front nose clips never had this. Just a general combination of different times and cars. Looks like the one I saw at a GT40 gathering in the 1980/1990's? Not a real GT40!!!
Reagards Allan

A reall MK II interior

Claude Nahum's MK II

Dsc_00861.jpg

Dsc_00871.jpg

Dsc_00881.jpg

The chassisplate says it all
GT40 106 WR as for " wreckless replica"

Nevertheless a very nice car, like the flared rear clip and the cockpit ( which to me does not look very much different to the MKII B shown above)

Agree, don´t understand why people still try to pull something like that through.

Tom

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Mk II "B"s had that MK IV type dash.

As a perhaps minor point of history: is it not the case that the dash redesign was initiated by HM and is therefore better though of as a Holman-Moody dash, or at least a Mk IIB dash that the Mk IV inherited?

Similarly, even if this car were legitimate it would not be a Mk II, it would be a Mk I with a 7-liter drivetrain. To be a Mk II I would think a car would have to be a result of the Mk II development program, which "this" car preceded.

Not trying to be pedantic here, I just think it helps clarify and retain the history to use more precise terminology.

I aways thought that the MKIV dashboard on the MKIIB was a case of standising parts. It must have been made for the MKIV when Remington and colleagues rebodied the J Car and introduced on the MKIIB's as backups for the MKIV at Le Mans?
Since it is not 1965 GT106 Big Block and even if it was part of the chassis it never made was in the form of a 1966 MKII or 1967MKIIB. I thought the MKIIB came about at the 1967 Sebring and that there were not that many either built or converted from existing MKII. If you take into account the three at the 1967 Le Mans:- one Ford France; one Shelby and one Holman and Moody. There would be not many more without checking. Please correct me if I am wrong.
As for Claudes great car P1016 its painted as it should be as the Holman and Moody third placed car at the deadheat 1966 Le Mans but it is still in 1967 MKIIB spec.
Is the WR Wingfield Racing??
Regards Allan

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
I aways thought that the MKIV dashboard on the MKIIB was a case of standising parts.

Could be... I just had a recollection that I can't confirm that HM instigated it. I might have dreamed that...

OTOH I was just going through Racing Icon's diary of the restoration of AMGT40/1 (http://www.racingicons.com/gt/amgt40-1/amgt40-1-5.htm ) which for a brief time was a MKIIB, kind of, and they refer to the dash as "the Holman Moody MKIIB dash and wiring" although arguably that's simply because HM were the ones that did the conversion from MkI to MkIIB.

Last edited:
Back