Grant's SL-C Build tread

Hello Ricardo,
No I haven't even started the wiring yet. I wanted to have all my hardware installed first. I
have been busy working on a cold air intake system which I should have buttoned up shortly just waitng for some more water jet cut parts to show up. It should work on any SL-C with a street tail with side or rear exhaust. Currently working on a new interior which should be pretty cool being I am bigger then the car lol, I had to start from scratch I have to sit right on the floor to fit in it. I am hoping to make it look like a space ship when Its done. The seats, console, sides and back will all blend into each other. I am carving and shaping everything out of stryofoam and them glassing right over it all. I have found a fiberglass resin that doesn't eat it. The stuff is awesome no smell and cleans up with soapy water, non toxic flows out very nice not much for air bubbles, its nice to use.

Last edited:
Guy it is called Ecopoxy systems it is manufactured in Canada.
it is nice to work with, I am using a Medium grade hardener it says 15 to 20 minute pot life but it more like 1 hour plus, If I were to do it again I would use Fast I so it would harden up a lot quicker.

Last edited:
I haven't posted anything in a while so I thought I would blow the dust off my build thread and show a few pic's of what I've been up to, this may help some others out with the seat problems if your a larger person such as myself. It is still in the works so things will change a bit before Its done but it will give you some ideas if you find yourself facing the same problems as I was. everything is craved out of styrofoam then shaped by hand sanding with very coarse grit sandpaper. After everything is fitted I am glassing directly over the foam with eco-epoxy glass systems which does not melt the foam, great stuff for this type of work. Once I have everything 1/4" thick and very solid it will go for custom upholstery. The foam between the seats and the doors will shaped to make a smooth blended transition right now Im just waiting for the Focal 130 component speakers so I can mold them into the kicker panels under the dash should look very cool and function very well.

Attachments

• _MG_6265.jpg
    _MG_6265.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 719
  • _MG_6269.jpg
    _MG_6269.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 670
  • _MG_6271.jpg
    _MG_6271.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 601
  • _MG_6272.jpg
    _MG_6272.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 635
  • _MG_6280.jpg
    _MG_6280.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 669
  • _MG_6279.jpg
    _MG_6279.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 683
Here a pic of the new console it is narrower and concaved in the sides for a little more leg room.

Attachments

• _MG_6268.jpg
    _MG_6268.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 721
Grant, very nice, I can only imagine how much time went into that fabraction. I can't wait to see the finished product! What if anything is going to go in the piece between the center counsel and the bottom of the dash?

Jim

Thanks guys yes it was a fair bit work but it nothing compared to the mess I have to clean up lol there will be styrofoam dust coming out of there for years.

Jim I am going to put a transition filler piece in there you can kinda see the design Im thinking of in one of the pic's it will be hollowed out and my remote fire arrest system pull handle will be sunken in there.

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Grant - I love the ingenuity and the craftsmanship! Even though I'm sure it is a lot of work, it has to be less frustrating than trying to find an aftermarket seat that will fit properly. What's your plan for the finished product as far as your custom upholstery?

When you glass the parts you may want to consider vacuum bagging if you haven't already (IMHO). Especially if you're going for 1/4" thickness - it may have to be done in stages but it will drastically reduce the resin weight of the finished product - but I'm sure you know that already.

Excellent work!
Dave L

Hi Dave I gave up on looking and spending money on seats that didn't work. The time and money I spent on this alone would have paid for all my foam and FG products and they would have be finished by now. This was so far the biggest hurdle once this one cross off the list the rest will be a breeze. They fit my body like a glove you can't tell from the pic's but I am seating right on the floor there will be 1" of HD foam under my butt when the seats are done I will be seating pretty much up right with 2" to 3" of headroom, As for the upholstery you'll have to wait and see :p

Jim I am going to put a transition filler piece in there you can kinda see the design Im thinking of in one of the pic's it will be hollowed out and my remote fire arrest system pull handle will be sunken in there.

Grant, I curious: what brand fire suppression system are you using and what is the extinguishing agent?

Jim

I got back to work on the adjustable pedal slider, if any one bought this particular slider. you've probably figured out by now it doesn't work with the tilton pedals.
I worked out a new adapter that replaces the top piece, and now it works.

Attachments

• _MG_6297.JPG
    _MG_6297.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 560
  • _MG_6293.JPG
    _MG_6293.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 523
  • _MG_6294.JPG
    _MG_6294.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 518
  • _MG_6295.JPG
    _MG_6295.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 494
  • _MG_6296.JPG
    _MG_6296.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 551
I have one of these pedal sliders as well. I don't plan to use it and would like to sell it for 1/2 price.

PM me if you are interested.

Nice work Grant! I appreciate the lumbar support you've built into your seats, most race seats I've seen have none whatsoever. Any plans to make the head rest adjustable?

Hello Mark,
Thanks, I am bouncing around a few different ideas right now haven't nailed that part down yet. I was thinking about standing them off the bulkhead so they would look like they were floating but if I ever got hit in the ass end, the stand offs would most likely be pushed through the back of my skull so Im still thinking about this one.

Hey grant, how tall are you (coming from a 6'7" guy this thread is very appropriate!)

Hi Dave I gave up on looking and spending money on seats that didn't work. The time and money I spent on this alone would have paid for all my foam and FG products and they would have be finished by now. This was so far the biggest hurdle once this one cross off the list the rest will be a breeze. They fit my body like a glove you can't tell from the pic's but I am seating right on the floor there will be 1" of HD foam under my butt when the seats are done I will be seating pretty much up right with 2" to 3" of headroom, As for the upholstery you'll have to wait and see :p

Back