GT90 from ground up

In no way have I read through all 19 pages in this thread but I am doing research on the company that my dad worked for (It happened to be my dads aunt that owned the company) that declared bankruptcy shortly after making the custom glass windshield, door windows, and rear windows for the GT-90.

It is awesome to see others are working so hard to recreate the GT-90, it was such an amazing car.

For what it is worth my dad got ahold of a good number of rubber triangle pads that was used at the NAIAS in Detroit where the GT-90 was stationed in '95. And are being used as coasters for his drinks, LOL.

Keep up the work whoever is working on this project and would love to see the finished project...

BG

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Looks like this guy may have stretched the GT90 to accept the Corvette transmission and differential behind the LSx engine...

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Looks like this guy may have stretched the GT90 to accept the Corvette transmission and differential behind the LSx engine...

Good observation. One of the photos shows the side-view of the entire assembly sitting in the back of the garage. One could get a pretty good idea of the extended length required just by scaling that photo.

From those images and with little knowledge of the project, it looks like he has also abandoned any attempt to create the glass birdcage roof which is a true shame, plus the wheels look terrible. Anything but the original's won't suit it at all, and unfortunately we are probably talking ten's of thousands of dollars to get them custom made (good estimate?).

Starting to really get into this car again as you all know my old website has been down for a long time and I have moved on a lot in my life from a obsessive little 15/16 year old kid to a 20 year old with a kid and university studies. Time isn't what it used to be to sit and wonder over this car but that footage Joe posted up took me way back to when I would just sit and imagine being in that thing...gorgeous machine.

I recently tried to contact Michael, the guy offering to sell the GT90 tyres and he said he no longer has any access to the car since it was shown at the Goodwood show in England.

After there it was up for auction at RM but there is no information about that ever selling or who it sold to etc...

I have a vague memory of reading a guy on a valeting/detailing forum talking about how he had to detail the GT90 for the Goodwood show but really it could be years before we see the car again and find out any more information on what ever went on with it.

in the meantime enjoy a bit of history with my web gallery:

Ford GT90 Picture Collection

Ryan,
Cant believe its been that long watching this thread, thats pretty nuts and time freakin flies. Des's first post was in 07'... As you stated that you kinda lost interest in the car for awhile then came back to it. Got new's for you if your anything like me you will always dream about the GT90. I first fell in love with it while playing Need for speed 2 in 1997 when I was 16 years old, now here I am just turned 30 and still dream about that car lol. Its a great feeling thinking about a car that as a kid I put on such a high mental pedestal, scary thing about that is I have heard that you should never meet your heros because they will never match up to the level you have put them at in your mind, so the longer the GT90 stays out of the public eye the longer we can dream about how awesome it is and not get disappointed when we find out that it is no longer powered by that amazing V12 TTTT! Anyhow, I hope all is well with Des, he hasn't t been on here in awhile and I really want to see more progress on his GT90.

p.s. Glad to see that you have your GT90 site up!

Last edited:
I was in contact with Des a couple of weeks ago and he said the project is still making progress, just alittle slow due to work. And yes Ryan, i'm the same Joe that contacted you.

Completely bumping this post. However any news? I am starting my GT90 build this winter (getting measurements, plans, etc ready) then starting the build in the summer.

Completely bumping this post. However any news? I am starting my GT90 build this winter (getting measurements, plans, etc ready) then starting the build in the summer.

I got an email from Des at the end of May this year, said he's still working on the car. Awesome to hear that you are also gonna do a GT90 build, I made some of the backgrounds images for the GT90's gauge clusters. If your interested in using em I'll send them to you too.

Joe

Absolutely. Send me anything you have as I need all the help I can get. Still trying to figure out how to get measurements. I might have to use a die cast to obtain them. However it would not be that exact

Question Des.. When you cut out the ribs of the structure. Did you cut them smaller then the actual dimensions of the car to account for the thickness of the fiberglass and or mesh/bondo?
Also the ribs that you cut did you use a 3d modeler to place the ribs at predetermined places then print them off on a large scale printer?

I am looking for any information about the GT90 is there anything you have that you would be willing to share that would help me in my journey?

Travis
Yes I did allow for skin thickness
No nothing so flash as 3d modelling and routers
Please refer to first page of post
Ryan knows a lot about the 90
What were you after in particular?
wantedman
I am working towards having chassis/body kits available by Aug2014 if that assists/saves you some effort
I had a recent wakeup call and need to get this done

Back