Dwight's RCR GT 40

Dwight

RCR GT 40 Gulf Livery 347 Eight Stack injection
I received an email from Dale at Eight Stack. They received my injection system in good condition.

Yesterday I drove to Huntsville, Ala. to help a friend and to dropped by a speed shop to ask questions about balancing my KEP flywheel, balancing a rotating assembly and machining my block. I needed to know if they could zero balance the flywheel. Todd (the guy behind the counter) told me they could but it would cost a lot. I told him that I had talked to Kennedy Eng. and could ship it to them but the freight out to Ca. and back would be as much as the labor. He said he could ship it UPS for $10. He then picked up a box, put the flywheel in it and ask where I wanted to ship it. We looked up the address on his computer and it was ready to go. He is a salesman.

Next we talked about a forged 347 kit for my Twisted Wedge heads. Todd called and got a price. I told him I was just there to get some information but before it was over I gave him my Visa card. Next week I will take the block to them and they will do all the machine work. I have been worrying about this for months. Now the motor build begins.

They should have my block ready in a week. Todd gave me great prices on the parts I need to complete the motor. I like the idea of one shop doing everything. And they are close, 75 miles away but we have a lot of Cobra friends in Huntsville so it a good excuse to visit them and the speed shop.
Now to beat the wife to the mail box when the Visa bill comes in.
Dwight

Last edited:
Dwight,
Is your flywheel been put to use?? If not you could exchange it with KEP. they have a zero balance unit. They mite even do it for postage? If it is used, You might check with KEP to see about a trade in.

Bill

Dwight

Thanks Bill
I talked to them and they are going to zero my 50 oz wheel for $40 plus shipping.

My wheel is used.
Dwight

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Dwight, my car was fitted with one of the very early versions of Dynatek's EFI systems, and it was very poorly engineered. Wouldn't idle below 1,500rpm. About two years ago I also worked with Dale at Eight Stack and sent him my system. They installed new throttle bodies and some other parts, and the system has worked great ever since. Dale and the team at Eight Stack are excellent to work with and I'm sure you'll be thrilled with the unit when it is returned to you.

Dwight

KEP machined my 50 oz flywheel to zero and returned it to my machine shop in week. Thanks KEP, fast turn around and they only charged me $40 plus $15 shipping.

With the damper and flywheel in hand the machine shop could balance my rotating assembly. They also bored my block and align honed it. I picked everything up this week.

Today I ordered all, I hope, the parts I need to finish my motor. All but the push rods, I'll have to wait and measure for them.

Next is cleaning the block. While I was removed the plugs from the block the next to last one stripped out the allen head. I tried a few things to get it out but could not so I called Eddie, the Ford mechanic, who loaned me a easy out setjust for removing allen head plugs. After trying for 15 or 20 minutes with the easy out I stopped. I've tried heat and Aero Kroil with no luck. I must have use two part epoxy as a sealer on that one. Never had one to strip before.

I'm helping Eddie work on our buddies 64 Sport Fury which is in my shop. Coach's FE which is in his shop and another buddy is building a 302 in my back room for his 86 Mustang.
When we run out of parts on one project we just move to another project.

Nice being retired!!!

And I'm remodeling our master bath room. One more coat of paint and tile the floor will finish that honey dew project.

My goal is to have the GT 40 on the road by June 2014.

Dwight

Dwight

Talked to Dale at Eight Stack and they will have my injection system ready to ship soon. They attended SEMA and did not work on my stuff week before last. I'm not in a hurry because I'm assembling the engine.

I had a local shop make me AC line out of aluminum tubing so I would have enough room for two 1/2" line for my heater. I have them installed and I'm ready to install the AC / heater unit now.

Long list of stuff to do!

Dwight

Dwight

big mile stone yesterday,

the painter came to my shop and sprayed the bedliner on my frame.

Looks great! Now I can put the car together. I tried for a couple of years to patch things but that not my way so a few months ago I stripped everything off the frame and started over.

Dwight

Dwight

motor is almost ready to install into frame

1_347_motor__2_resized.jpg

Dwight

A lot of small things have held me up but last week in a couple of days I installed the trannie onto the motor. Bolted up the bulkhead. Set the motor / trannie into the frame. I bought a new harness and installed the panel. Pulled the wires to the front and rear. It will take me a couple of weekls to finsh the wiring.
Bolted up the axles. Fuel pump, regulator and fuel lines are in.
Exhaust system is temporally in place to check for bracket to support the mufflers. In a couple of weeks I'll take them to be ceramic coated.
This week I should get the tires on and set the ride height.

Dwight
1_exhaust_system__2_resize.jpg

http://www.gt40s.com/gallery/index.php?n=1094

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Glad to see you're still making progress Dwight. I'm reorganizing my shop right now but have plans to get started on mine again soon after a 3 year hiatus.
For some odd reason your last two pictures appear only as thumbnails to me. Might be this doggoned iPad I'm using though...

Dwight

Thanks Randy

I tried to post the larger pictures but I did something wrong. Can you talk me thru the picture posting?

Dwight

Dwight,
If you are posting from a third party site like photobucket, it is easy. Just join the site and you can have as many folders as you want, then upload to their site . When time to post to the forum just go to their site and click on the pic you want. right click the direct choice and chose copy. Go to the forum and post away. When you reach the spot you want your pic to appear choose the mountain scene and paste in the window that apears. Hit enter and it apears in the post as its direct number sequence. Hit Preview Post at the bottom of the page and you will see your picture in the post. Continue posting til done then hit Submit Reply and you are done. If you like your pics to be at the end, just wait til you get there and then do the same.

Bill

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Nice job on the picture posting walk-thru Bill!!!

Looking really sharp Dwight - thanks for posting the up-sized images!

Dwight

I've spend some time the last few days working on the wiring. I spend half of today with my grandson's. They are 21 and 28 months old and they are car guys!
The wiring is going slow and I like wiring cars. I also have a great supply of electrical parts for wiring cars.
It took me a couple of hours to find 22 GA wire to splice onto the LED indictor lights.
I found the wire at Radio Shack which was my last stop. It amasses me that small and simple things take so long to do correctly.

In the next couple of week I'm going to buy my ECU and ECU harness. I'll need it to integrate it with the main harness.
My big problem today was the starter will not fit. So I'm looking for the correct starter to fit a SBF mated to a G50 box on a RCR frame.

Anyone know what starter I can use?

Thanks

Dwight

Dwight

Radiator hose installed, mark them off the list

picture.php

starter in installed, check that one off the list

picture.php

Last edited:

Dwight