Fuel Pumps

Been reading this thread which is quite relevant to me as I am currently trying to work out which pumps to use, I have found a pair of FP200 B261 205 413-01 pumps for sale as here:
Bosch Motorsport - Fuel Pumps
And for a good price but not sure if they will be suitable? I have a 347 that will be running a four barrel Holley (type will be IVA dependant) and pulling from separate tanks, will these pumps cut the mustard? Or shall I keep looking?

Cheers :thumbsup:

Paul

Paul, these Bosch pumps are for fuel injected systems, that particular pump is rated at 5 to 8 bar which equates to around 75 to 120 psi approx. A carburettor system needs much less fuel pressure e.g. typical Weber set-up requires around 4 psi. Not sure what is recommended for Holley carburettors but is likely to be in the same range. Good luck with your build.

Paul, these Bosch pumps are for fuel injected systems, that particular pump is rated at 5 to 8 bar which equates to around 75 to 120 psi approx. A carburettor system needs much less fuel pressure e.g. typical Weber set-up requires around 4 psi. Not sure what is recommended for Holley carburettors but is likely to be in the same range. Good luck with your build.

Now this is what confused me as the red top pumps that I see loads of fitted are about the same pressure? Is the pressure not set by a regulator, like a filter king??

Thanks

Like several on here, I didn't know that I didn't have enough flow until it was on the dyno and the car went lean.

This is probably one area where going bigger is always better. Dyno time is expensive and depending on who you use can be a logistical nightmare. I have messed up on three occasions on dyno days and each time it was fuel related. Twice with undersized pumps and once when the injectors ran out of squirt. So my advice is build in a bit of a margin when buying a pump because leaning out or an abandoned dyno day is a lot more expensive.

Bob

Its also very easy for these engines to leap 100/200hp with cam and head changes so a bit of a buffer on the fuel system will save money in the long term.

Last edited:
Now this is what confused me as the red top pumps that I see loads of fitted are about the same pressure? Is the pressure not set by a regulator, like a filter king??

Thanks

Different pumps for different applications.

EFI needs pressure
Carbs needs flow

So your typical carb pump will give lots of flow at low pressure but can be 'stopped' fairly easily. I have this setup on my bike and it's very obvious as if the carbs are empty the pump ticks like mad then slows down as they fill until it stops.

If your pressure in a carb application is too high then you will force fuel past the float valve and at best run rich or flood the engine (at worst wash the bores, drain into the sump, dilute the oil and even hydrolock the engine). That is when you'd need a regulator. If it doesn't flow enough then you'll run lean. Consider too that there may be occasions where it has to fill in a hurry (eg long downhill on the brakes with near empty tanks). I've not looked into carbs (because I'm not fitting one) but I assume they'll give a maximum fuel pressure and I'd really advise not going over it.

In the case of EFI you want the pump to be able to keep up to the required pressure (which is set by a regulator) at peak flow otherwise it could run lean, you can work out what you need worst case would be from the rating of your injectors and assuming a 100% duty time (ie full on all the time). That gives you the maximum possible flow, if your pump can keep the set pressure (or above) at that flowrate then you're fine and in reality have a bit in hand.

You need different regulators for injection pumps and carburettor pumps as they handle very different fuel pressure ranges. If you are going with carburettors the regulator types to be looking at include Filter King (the one with threaded adaptors) or Holley or similar. Check that they have the correct pressure range for your carburettors. Cheers, Paul

Is a single SW pump adequate for a four 289 Weber- ballpark 300 HP engine? Most photos I've come across show them in pairs- but were they drawing from separate tanks or in parallel from a selector valve outlet- and if parallel, for redundancy or increased maximum flow?

Also, I bought the SW pump new 30 years ago and it's been sitting on a shelf in my garage(s) ever since and never seen gas. After sitting like that, should it be torn down and inspected for dry-rot, or is that one of those bridges you burn when you get to it? Ugh, unfortunate choice of words.

Anyhow, the setup is two side tanks feeding a surge tank, then to the pump, regulator, filter, gauge, and the Weber screens. I'd planned on a tank centerline mount for the pump, but having some flexibility for a higher placement would be nice when the time comes to do the plumbing. Assuming internal combustion engines are still legal then.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Yes. One of the original GT40s in this area, I think 1072, is set up like that. One SW240A pump, feeding a rack of 48IDA Webers, and it runs fine.

The pump is probably fine. If you decide you don't want it, I sure do. :)

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
The SW240A is a positive displacement pump and will lift just fine, you could mount it anywhere within the bodywork.
I've run 450 RWHP engines from a single SW pump with 3/8" fuel lines - no issues..

Chuck

Supporter
I would like to revisit the issue of fuel pumps addressed in this very old thread.

I am contemplating replacing the HP 125 Holley pumps. With the regulator set at 3 PSI for the Webers seem to be some fuel flow problems which I suspect are related to having to lift the fuel with the such a restriction.The replacement I am considering is the the Facet Dura Lift.

Dura Lift Pumps | Motor Components, LLC | Facet Purolator

It has several benefits: It does not require being at or below the level of the fuel tank. It has a built in clear filter so its status will be obvious at a glance, and it has a built in check valve. (Neede for two tank / pump operation).

My concern is capacity. It is rated at 33 GPH. Will this be sufficient for a 400 plus HP engine?

I am running two tanks with two pumps so if the power demanded more fuel at certain rare times on typical street drives, a flick of a switch would double that to 66 GPH. I do not track the GT.

Any thoughts?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Chuck,
Attached is one of my dyno sheets which showed my max fuel consumption at roughly 192# per hour. At 6# per gallon, that works out to 32 GPH.
The Facet Gerotor pumps are great pumps, although rather scarce...
BTW, the engine is a 331 with Weber 48 IDAs and produces 414HP / 430TQ

Attachments

• IMG_6411.JPG
    IMG_6411.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 253

Chuck

Supporter
Chuck,
Attached is one of my dyno sheets which showed my max fuel consumption at roughly 192# per hour. At 6# per gallon, that works out to 32 GPH.
The Facet Gerotor pumps are great pumps, although rather scarce...
BTW, the engine is a 331 with Weber 48 IDAs and produces 414HP / 430TQ

Interesting Randy. Looks like that Facet pump may be sufficient, although marginally so.

Our engine set ups are virtually identical.

I have some ideas I am going to explore before I replace the pumps, but glad to see that the Facet is a potential option.

Back