• Sway.jpg
    Sway.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 957
  • Rear upright.jpg
    Rear upright.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 988

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Mine merely resembles a giant pile of jigsaw pieces at the moment. Pretty much everything has been together, including engine in, headers fitted, etc., but has been stripped off again waiting for the body to arrive (it's on its way!) so that the roof can be fitted properly and the tub painted. Those with a keen eye for detail will note that my tub is being used to trial fit a screen for a new project Dave has started on...

Attachments

• Clevis.jpg
    Clevis.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 918
  • Ducts.jpg
    Ducts.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 856
  • Sponson.jpg
    Sponson.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 920
  • Screen.jpg
    Screen.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 946
Brian
Looks like another MK II roadster is being built. Last time I was at Holman Moody Lee had one underway there.

Brian Stewart
Supporter
As far as I know it came directly from Pilkington, who apparently still have the original mould.

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Bodywork has arrived! Great work Bill Hough.

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 946
  • Body1.jpg
    Body1.jpg
    369.6 KB · Views: 1,223

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Thanks Dave, but mine is not going to be a roadster. Doors, roof and windscreen are already down at Classic Car Developments.

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Made by Bill Hough Jim. Simply aesthetics Fran. I originally fell in love with 40s back in about 1965 when I saw a shot in a car magazine of an original MKIIA - i.e. MKI style front clip and MKII rear clip. Been my dream car ever since. I've never been partial to the hunched front guards on the later MKIIs and couldn't justify the cost of going 427 and T44 to make it a real MKIIA here in NZ. So, in short, I just like the look. When finished, if I ever want sell it, a quick change of rear clip and swap the 351W for a 289 and you have a reasonably close recreation of a MKI if someone wanted to go that way.

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Started on the long slog of prepping the bodywork today. As a lot of you well know, sanding is unbelievably dusty and soul destroying, but all the mould lines on the rear clip are now sanded down. Imperfections are filled and sanded as well and the whole clip has had a once over with 80 grit paper. Fine sanding to come…. As a reward at the end of the day I cut out the area above the engine and cut holes for the rear brake intake snorkels, shaped their bases and loosely fitted them. Finally, cut holes for the taillights and trial fitted them also. Doesn’t look too shabby. I suspect the front clip is going to be a whole lot more difficult….

Attachments

• Rear.jpg
    Rear.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 652
  • Snorkels.jpg
    Snorkels.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 571
  • Top.jpg
    Top.jpg
    375.1 KB · Views: 788
  • TLights.jpg
    TLights.jpg
    339.1 KB · Views: 646
Looks good Brian

Can you tell me how the MK2 rear clip is for guard width? Is it the same a standard mk1 rear or Gulf MK1 rear clip? Just wondering how big a tyre you can under a MK2 clip?

Cheers
Dave

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Hi Dave,
It's closer to the Gulf width than the standard Mk I clip (about 165 cm from memory). I am using 12 inch wide wheels with Avon CR6ZZ 295/50-15 tires

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Ran a tape between the rear arches this morning Dave. There is 171 cm between the inside lip on each side.

Hi Guys
I did the same to mine last night and ended up at 1780mm one handed with a tape measure.

does anyone know which version I have?

Cheers Craig Young

Brian Stewart
Supporter
We'll have to compare build notes Craig.... MKi or MKII? Does yours have Gulf flares if a MKI?

Back