GT40 50TH Reunion!

Will you attend a GT40 50th gathering?

• Just try to keep me and my car away!

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • I will be there and most likely with my car.

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • I will be there, but the 40 will not.

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • I hope to be able to attend.

Votes: 20 35.7%
  • I know I can't make it......have a beer for me.

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Meh!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Rick - Will any of the local hotels accept car trailers being parked on the premises and if not, is there parking available?

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Is my understanding correct that the track will not allow overnight stays in the car hauler on track premises? I am somewhat leery of leaving the trailer and car at the track while staying elsewhere. At the same time I am leery about leaving the car in the trailer at some hotel as well. Suggestions?

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Did the #2 car run out of fuel or lose a fuel pump? I've heard that sound and subsequent shut down a couple times myself :)

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
At Road America we drove our cars back and forth from the motel, the motel let all of use park together which was nice, no problems at all, it was about 20 miles to the track from the motel which was more fun. :)

If any of the Texas guys want to stop at my place we can caravan to NY, I am just south of I-44. Mike from Colorado you can make it to my place in a hard days drive spend the night and leave with Richard and me.

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
At Road America we drove our cars back and forth from the motel, the motel let all of use park together which was nice, no problems at all, it was about 20 miles to the track from the motel which was more fun. :)

If any of the Texas guys want to stop at my place we can caravan to NY, I am just south of I-44. Mike from Colorado you can make it to my place in a hard days drive spend the night and leave with Richard and me.

Yeah, that was fun, Jack.

But, sorry to say... This Texas guy won't be able to make it. It just so happens that weekend is during the same period as the project's major 'stack up test' is scheduled in Louisiana. Since I'm the project director, kinda' hard for me to weasel out of it...

Secondly, the CVAR weekend at TWS is the very next weekend and I _will_ make it to this one with the Pantera. Fuel cell started leaking prior to February's event and I missed it.
I need my racing license!
:thumbsup:

So, as I told Mike, much as I want to go to Watkins Glen, it just ain't gonna' happen.... Y'all have fun now, hear?

Kirby

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Is my understanding correct that the track will not allow overnight stays in the car hauler on track premises? I am somewhat leery of leaving the trailer and car at the track while staying elsewhere. At the same time I am leery about leaving the car in the trailer at some hotel as well. Suggestions?

Mike,

No problems with staying a transporter at the track, it is allowed and Dennis O. always does.

No worries with leaving your car in a trailer at the track. There are race cars a whole lot more valuable than our SPFs left out overnight and I am not aware of any problem ever. There is 24 hour security on site.

There are rooms available in Watkins however we are looking at a "group" buy so we will likely be in either Corning or Horesheads, both a 20-25 minute drive from the track.

Other options for camping are the State Park or the county park, both right in town and less than 10 minutes from the track. There is a KOA two miles away that has "Kamping Kabins" available. I have stayed in these with a FAV GT owner friend. Pretty basic but indoor plumbing and shower so for just a place to crash they are fine.

Just as RA has traditions, you must visit Seneca Lodge in the evening for the bar. Tons of racing stuff going back 60 years and as eclectic a crowd as you will ever see.....it is a MUST DO!

Attachments

• seneca bar.jpg
    seneca bar.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 380
I attended the 2010 event and there were people camping everywhere.

Rick, my current schedule has me stateside for September so I should be able to make the trip. If my car is ready by then I'll plan on trailering (ugh!) since it will be too soon to take it on a 1600 mile trip without a few good shakedowns. That being said, I'd love to drive my car for 24 hrs!

Attachments

• DSC05012_Comp.jpg
    DSC05012_Comp.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 293
  • DSC05011_Comp.jpg
    DSC05011_Comp.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 315
  • DSC05076_Comp.jpg
    DSC05076_Comp.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 375

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Tom, maybe we can make the trip together. I am glad to know I could stay at the track. I know many are coming for a leisurely vacation which is great. I am coming to absorb as much of the track and racing as I can.

Kirby, there is a lot of time between now and then for you to change your mind :)

Mike

Lifetime Supporter

That sounds like a great plan. I cannot wait for this experience!

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
OK,

We hope to have most of the details locked down by mid next week. Dennis is working with SVRA on logistics and a friend is working on a hotel deal.

I will start a new thread with a poll for track time. Obviously SVRA eligible cars can compete in the Vintage Grand Prix. For those who want a real, open track experience we are looking at possibly Wednesday AM for that. You would get two 1/2 hour sessions that morning before the SVRA test sessions start. We will attempt to get more sessions, but that is being negotiated. These will be under race control and will have "no passing" zones marked. If you "off" or pass in a no-no zone, you WILL be booted. The insurance company has no sense of humor. Understand you WILL be able to pass, you just won't be allowed to chop someone off at the apex to make the pass!

There will be "fast" parade laps for those who do not want to do a full open track thing, i.e. a lead car will set the pace and all will follow with no passing. Now the lead
"pace" may be Dennis Olthoff in his GT race car so it will be brisk but not full on hammering.

Everyone will be welcome for our Time Machines Motorsports laps on Sunday during the lunch break. All GTs attending, of any type will be welcome for these. These are run behind the WGI pace car. The pace car driver whom I know always gets us going pretty good so expect 100 MPH plus on the straights. Yes, we know it is not 160 but trust me if you take a passenger they will not know the difference. Plus he gets us through the turns at a right good clip.

There is NO cost for the Sunday laps. The open track pricing is being worked out as we must get the insurance quote to figure the cost and therefor we need to know, price aside, do you want to do the full open track experience? There will be instructors for those who wish and some pointers from Dennis go a long way....he can motor! Don't ask me for advice unless you are looking to slow down...........

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I sure have no plans of doing 160mph lol. I've been 185 in the FGT and 155 in the GT40 and that is flat out moving even on a long a straight. I would ask Dennis to pace us as fast he thinks a bunch of goobers could go and not get in over our heads :)

Jack, Mike and any others,
We need to setup a time line and course so we can meet up and travel together. Are ya'll using boxed trailers or open. Mine is open. I am assuming you aren't driving the 40s??!!

Bill

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Jack, Mike and any others,
We need to setup a time line and course so we can meet up and travel together. Are ya'll using boxed trailers or open. Mine is open. I am assuming you aren't driving the 40s??!!

Bill
I'll be pulling mine in the enclosed. My father recently passed away so I may stop in Indiana, pick up my mom and bring her along.

Back