GT40 50TH Reunion!

Will you attend a GT40 50th gathering?

• Just try to keep me and my car away!

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • I will be there and most likely with my car.

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • I will be there, but the 40 will not.

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • I hope to be able to attend.

Votes: 20 35.7%
  • I know I can't make it......have a beer for me.

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Meh!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I'll be pulling mine in the enclosed. My father recently passed away so I may stop in Indiana, pick up my mom and bring her along.

Mike that would be wonderful for her to get out and about, my wife will be will be along and will need someone to chat with.

Bill my trailer is a single car enclosed, I use to have a 2 car trailer but down sized a great deal.

Along with my earlier suggestion to Jack and Mike, why don't each of us going to the Glen, post a preliminary route of travel, probable stopping points(overnight stays) and see if we can hook people up for caravans. Any thoughts along this idea?? Maybe posting a maps itinerary. Would make a picture of the route and could easily spot possible hook ups.

Bill

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Maybe as things firm up people can try and plan to meet up where it makes sense. I am guessing at this point my route would be I-70 from Denver to Columbus and then up to Cleveland and across. Would be fun to hook up with folks along the way.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
The SVRA website indicates MG as the marque (if I read correctly). Will this affect the turn out of originals as opposed to the WG 1989 and RA 2009 events wherein the GT40 was the marque (I assume).

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
The SVRA website indicates MG as the marque (if I read correctly). Will this affect the turn out of originals as opposed to the WG 1989 and RA 2009 events wherein the GT40 was the marque (I assume).

It may have some effect. As we were late to the party we are not the advertised marque. Once everything is signed and sealed we will commence a promotional program to invite as many GT owners (of all types and makes) to attend.

There are some potentially exciting developments in the works and as soon as they are inked we will post here.

As this reunion has only been in the works for a week it is early to speculate on the attendance however we will make efforts to contact everyone with a FAV/JWA chassis and we will likely have some GT40 related personalities in attendance.

More to follow............

Personally I think we are way to late to the party to put something relevant together this year given how hard it is to reserve track time. That is unless someone with lots of pull with Ford can get them to open one of there proving grounds with tours to go along. Our maybe Ford has track time reserved somewhere they would like to share with some of there most loyal fans. That I would drive to.

Just my two cents.

BTW Jack made me do this!!

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Personally I think we are way to late to the party to put something relevant together this year given how hard it is to reserve track time. That is unless someone with lots of pull with Ford can get them to open one of there proving grounds with tours to go along. Our maybe Ford has track time reserved somewhere they would like to share with some of there most loyal fans. That I would drive to.

Just my two cents.

BTW Jack made me do this!!
Might be far fetched but sure would be great to use, and think of the publicity.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Lets see what Rick and Dennis can come up with. It does seem that if we're not the featured marque then we might not receive all the privileges that we might if the GT40 was the feature. I will say that for me, I would rather drive a great race course like Watkins Glen than the proving grounds course. The fact that is other SVRA racing going on to watch would be added entertainment too. If sufficient track time can be acquired I think Watkins Glen sounds like a fantastic location.

I was so pumped to see this post and completely in for the weekend only to have my wonderful wife remind me that we are going to be in Scotland for those dates. She tongue and cheek suggested that I fly home early... Maybe she was serious!? I have someone willing to trailer my car there for me, now just need to get home in time!

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Lets see what Rick and Dennis can come up with. It does seem that if we're not the featured marque then we might not receive all the privileges that we might if the GT40 was the feature. I will say that for me, I would rather drive a great race course like Watkins Glen than the proving grounds course. The fact that is other SVRA racing going on to watch would be added entertainment too. If sufficient track time can be acquired I think Watkins Glen sounds like a fantastic location.

Ford will not allow us to use to use any of the proving grounds. We did in 1983 with the old Utica (Mi) Proving Ground oval...that is where Ken Miles went over 200MPH and announced that the MK II "Is the car I want to race at LeMans"

Liability and security issues restrict the use. The Boss 302 guys got some laps last year but they were VERY limited on speed, etc.

No, the Glen is the best choice at this point. If we (read "ME") had been paying attention I would have started this last September. We will do the best we can but I am confident that we can have a crackin' event with fun for all!

I think Rick has it right - we need to focus on this as an event for all of us to participate and enjoy as a TOTAL event, with comaraderie, participation in several aspects of the celebration and off track activities, NOT just intense focus on the racing part of it. Although, for those eligible, race or track time is very important but it's not the whole experience. Track time is available at other events that do not have the historic significance aspect this event has. This gathering should focus on just "takng it all in" as well as the track time.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
This gathering should focus on just "takng it all in" as well as the track time.
Agreed

I don't plan on doing any racing or really even pushing the car hard on the track but following a pace car around at 50mph is not really that interesting either. I still say, let Dennis lead us around for a few laps so we know the boundaries for the amateurs and then throw in a couple three sessions after that for the experience of driving Watkins Glen in our GT40s. Bottom line… I want some cool pictures of my car motoring around the Glen and I want to drive it just like I do on the highway without straining to pick out the policeman over the next rise...

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
without straining to pick out the policeman over the next rise...

BINGO!!!!

My laps at the Glen in a '40 are in P1116 and I was 7/8 tenths at best. They quickly showed my why I had not been recruited by Ferrari for F1! But it WAS incredible! When you dive into the "boot" and your stomach rises you will NEVER forget it.................

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I'll be curious what other activities are planned as well. So what would make this event enjoyable to you?

Back