GT40 50TH Reunion!

Will you attend a GT40 50th gathering?

• Just try to keep me and my car away!

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • I will be there and most likely with my car.

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • I will be there, but the 40 will not.

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • I hope to be able to attend.

Votes: 20 35.7%
  • I know I can't make it......have a beer for me.

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Meh!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I'll be curious what other activities are planned as well. So what would make this event enjoyable to you?

Mike,

What types of activities would you like to see?

Look at what the Grand Prix group offers:

http://www.grandprixfestival.com/participant.html

http://www.grandprixfestival.com/reenactevents.html

And there is the Motor Racing Library in town, a "must see"

International Motor Racing Research Center at Watkins Glen NY (racingarchives.org)

Do we want a dinner with guest speakers? Or just a casual catered barbeque with drinks and bench racing?

You guys tell us....we will do what is most desired.

I would always suggest as much tracktime as possible. Maybe some lessons from the GT40 maestro Dennis.

Casual ctered barbeque sounds great. We could plan an event for each night. There are also some boats on Seneca lkake we could do a Gt40 cruise.

I also highly suggest we book rooms asap.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I would always suggest as much tracktime as possible. Maybe some lessons from the GT40 maestro Dennis.

Casual ctered barbeque sounds great. We could plan an event for each night. There are also some boats on Seneca lkake we could do a Gt40 cruise.

I also highly suggest we book rooms asap.

Working on a group rate for a hotel. Will announce ASAP the details.

Could do a Cap'n Bill's boat ride one night.

Keith

Lifetime Supporter
My 40 has not been out of the garage since November of 2012. Looks to me this could be the best reason ever to dust it off and trailer it 900 miles to the track.
Keith

Looks like we could have a whole bunch of trailers....hope Rick can manage/negotiate to get space for all of them. As mentioned, lodging will be a big deal. I've checked a couple places close to the track and they're already booked.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Looks like we could have a whole bunch of trailers....hope Rick can manage/negotiate to get space for all of them. As mentioned, lodging will be a big deal. I've checked a couple places close to the track and they're already booked.

Plenty of trailer parking available, no worries there!

This sounds like loads of fun. We had a great time at the RA event. The problem is I have no trailer or tow vehicle. I used to drive out in the fall for the F1 races at the Glen, but I'm not sure I want to make the whole drive in the GT40. Anybody else from the Chicago area interested in going?

Any news on the place to stay? I think that may prove to be an ipediment if we wait too long. From the poll it looks like 8 pretty firm comitements already.

Fun times ahead.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
We have a commitment for rooms at the Radisson Corning, about 20-25 minutes from the track. Negotiating rates and details, but we have 20 rooms on hold now and more available.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Count me in where do we sign up. If I drive my gt40 there do I leave it at event?

If you want to leave the car at the track we will have rides to/from the hotel. Or you can ride with many of the open seats that will be available. Or you can take a REALLY long walk!

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I'm planning to come as well and would like to know if there is a booking reference for the hotel, and how long people are typically staying. I was figuring Friday and Saturday nights. I too will likely be hauling my car in my trailer.

I'm looking forward to meeting you guys.

Mark

Last edited:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I'm planning to come as well and would like to know if there is a booking reference for the hotel, and how long people are typically staying. I was figuring Friday and Saturday nights. I too will likely be haling my car in my trailer.

I'm looking forward to meeting you guys.

Mark

In the next couple of days we will post all of the details. Understand you GT40s.com people are AHEAD of the curve on the details! Sorry to be somewhat secretive but everything is not locked down yet. We are giving you the "inside story" so please cut us a little slack!

We will have rooms for all who want to attend and a great time will be had by all!!!!!

First off let me say thank you to Rick for the job he is doing for us all. All these phone calls and recalls takes a lot of time and energy.
I just wanted to let all that are following this thread know that the room situation is going to be good. Rick is securing a good number of rooms for those that want them at the hotel. I just wanted to throw out some more information for the members. I am not a hotel sort of person. I look at these gatherings as a vacation. I enjoy the track events, but I like to enjoy the environment as well. To that end I have been in talks with several owners of vacation homes in the area. I am finding out there is an ample supply of homes in the area, but they will not remain that way as we go forward, as one owner has told me that their paces get rented out every time/year there is a track event at Watkins Glenn.
My search has come up with homes(all on the lake or lake views) with 2 Br. and 2Ba. up to a Farm house and other large units that will accomodate up to 16-18 people. Most of the homes on the water have docks and a beach, hot tubs and fire pits. I have talked to several of the members. Some are interested, and some will not be able to make the trip at all, while others will arrive on Friday, with others arriving on Tues.
If any of you either singularly or with wives/girl friends would like to experience the environment of Watkins Glenn's surroundings, drop me a line(email). These homes are modern with large decks, outdoor grills and views that are breathtaking. They are not just cabins etc. So far there are 12 that are "currenly" available. Travel distance in miles from the track are: 1@6 miles. 1@15 miles, 5@20, and 5@30miles. Some on the east side some on the west side of Seneca/Finger lake. All with straight shots to Watkins Glenn, all are in the wine districts. One is across the street from a winery(there are about 30). 2 of the houses are side by side, one has 2 kitchens, and both can accommodate 20 between them, 2 others are less than a mile from them(3br. 3ba. 8 people max, 2br.2ba. 6 people max). These are places that rent out all year long. They are quality places.
I need for anyone thinking this is what they would like to do, to contact me as soon as they can. I can fill in the details along with contact numbers and names, and will help match people up if need be. I think you will find the rates to be about what you would pay for a hotel room in a resort or maybe even less.
P.S. I am not being reimbursed for any of this. Just trying to help out.

Bill

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Bill,

That is a great way to go! In fact we did that in 2009 for the Road America event, we rented a home right on Elkhart Lake that slept 10 and had a dock with a gazebo at the end. Had some memorable dinners right on the lake! Shared the home with several others included some UK GT40 guys as well as numerous others who visited for dinner and drinks.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Thank you Rick for all your work toward this reunion, it is not an easy task and you must have a good tolerance for pain. :laugh:

Back