Spf 2317

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Ron:

Dennis' engine builder did a rebuild on my engine about three years ago. It's run great ever since, and I'd highly recommend him.

Dave

Ron--I love the stacked taillight rear end. Is that the optional narrow rear end? If so will you run narrow rear wheels as well?

I have a sneaking suspicion that the SPF Wilwood brakes might not clear Borranis. I hope I'm wrong!!! :shocked:

Linden green looks fantastic too. RHD, sill shift, narrow tail--you're building my dream car! :thumbsup:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Ron--I love the stacked taillight rear end. Is that the optional narrow rear end? If so will you run narrow rear wheels as well?

I have a sneaking suspicion that the SPF Wilwood brakes might not clear Borranis. I hope I'm wrong!!! :shocked:

Linden green looks fantastic too. RHD, sill shift, narrow tail--you're building my dream car! :thumbsup:

1) Yes, narrow tail, stacked lamps.
2) Wilwoods will clear the Borranis. Factory is doing hubs with splines to fit as we speak.
3) As Ron posted, NOT Linden Green but a 50's/60's Porsche color

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Here is the recommendations from the Borrani site:

GT40 65-69

8.00x15 RW 3924 42 RCS 72 record 245/60VR15 Avon CR6ZZ
9.00x15 RW 3925 42 RCS 72 record 275/55VR1 5 Avon CR6ZZ
6.50x15 RW 3926 42 RCS 72 record 215/60VR15 Avon CR6ZZ
7.50x15 RW 392811 42 RCS 72 record 225/65VR1 5 Avon CR6ZZ

72 is the spoke count and "record" is the wheel model

You can run the 9" in the rear of the "narrow" tail as it is second generation design and the wheel with a 275 will fit.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Rick

With the wire wheels, have they got them sealed or do you still have to run with inner tubes?

If with tubes will the Avons work correctly with them as they are a tubeless high performance tyre?

Ian

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I understand the Borranis can be done as tubeless with sealant on the spoke ends. We had the Kelsey-Hayes wires used on T-Birds done that way as well and it worked OK most times.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I have always like the look of wires and on a MK1 it will be stunning, sounds like you got a perfect package.

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
So, long time, no update. If stories make these cars great, then mine will be super great. After 3 years of nothing, I've gotten the car back and will be completing it myself.

Questions for those who have done it.
- How many hours did it take you?
- I have motor, will be using the Safir clutch and RBT Transmission, what else do I need?
- Is there a resource for builds? I understand there is no manual.

Thanks,

Ron Scarboro

Ron, welcome back!

Did you buy a complete Safir clutch setup including bellhousing and flywheel? The original (and Safir) GT40 setup is much smaller than a standard Ford unit. The starter is placed closer to the centerline of the gearbox and may interfere with a generic oilpan, so it's critical that you mock up the whole drivetrain before trying to install it.

How do you plan to actuate the clutch? I don't know if the generic SPF clutch slave setup is compatible (because I know nothing about it). The Original setup mounted a slave cylinder vertically on the bellhousing, which actuated a curved arm on the gearbox. That arm is hard to come by although I assume Jay Cushman can probably supply one.

Lots of little details ahead of you!!! Keep us posted!

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
Mike,
Thanks, I will be doing the Safir complete clutch and the Aviad pan was purchased to accommodate that setup. I'm unfortunately at ground zero on a transaxle, but have gotten on the list from RBT so I have time to start figuring it all out.

Car is in Raleigh now, but it'll be the weekend before I can get it to my shop.

Best,

Ron

I confess to having just enough knowledge to be dangerous :laugh:

The original Dash 0 and later Dash 1 gearbox case was a bit smaller than the more common Dash 2. The bellhousings don't interchange both because of the dimensional differences and a completely different bolt pattern.

Is the Safir bellhousing a scaled up version of the original intended to accommodate the Dash 2? If you had a perfectly original bellhousing it would require either an original GT40 gearbox or a Dash 1 from a Mangusta.

I suspect the Safir setup is intended to support a Dash 2 but the question bears asking!

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Ron:

Just checking on the status of your car. Has it arrived at Olthoff's, and have you decided on an engine builder? My engine was rebuilt a few year's back by Dennis' preferred shop (former NASCAR builder) in Denver, NC. They did a very nice job.

Dave

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
Dave,
Sorry, for the delayed response. My Mother passed in November and that has consumed much of my attention for the past couple of months. The car was delivered to Olthoff in 2014 but never completed waiting on a gearbox. When the gearbox arrived we had something of a misunderstanding and I took possession of the car unfinished.

The motor was built using Gurney heads by a former Nascar engine builder local to Raleigh.

Randy,
I sent you an email regarding the gearbox.

Thanks all,

Hopefully as the weather warms I can get back on the task.

Best,

Ron Scarboro

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
So, FINALLY things are moving. Got the car over to the shop today. Clutch and airbox ordered from Safir, and a big thanks to Rod Brace for the ZF Gearbox that will be coming.

Couple of pics.

Attachments

• image2-3.jpeg
    image2-3.jpeg
    83 KB · Views: 596
  • image3-1.jpeg
    image3-1.jpeg
    85.8 KB · Views: 639
  • image1-3.jpeg
    image1-3.jpeg
    91.7 KB · Views: 630
Back