Electric A/C Compressor

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
The units (SHM/Jegs) look to be the same, I would venture both are buying them out and putting their labels on the compressors. So what industrial supplier is the real manufacturer?

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
The units (SHM/Jegs) look to be the same, I would venture both are buying them out and putting their labels on the compressors. So what industrial supplier is the real manufacturer?

They are definitely the same units. If you look at the Jegs installation instructions they show images of the SHM unit. Reading the SHM site I'd guess they came up with the design but that is a guess. I'll post what I hear from them regarding the amp draw ratings.

Dave L

Howard Jones

Supporter
"The AC Compressor must sit in a vertical position, so that there is enough oil in the sump of the compressor for the centrifugal oil pump to lubricate the internals".

From Jegs link install instructions.

My question is, do we think that high G cornering will starve compressor of oil?

Howard,
You must be doing some real "gentleman racing"(cup holders and some Chablis???) if you are taking high G turns with the A/C on!!!!

Bill

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I don't know if it's just because I am a cheap SOG or because I'm of German-Dutch heritage but I have to wonder if a 110v Window AC Compressor for a house could be run on an Invertor... No I'm not talking about mounting a window air conditioner in the car, but harvesting the compressor from one and building my own...
These guys are asking for a lot of money on something which is probably available new for less than $100 for an 8,000 BTU unit...
Real Hot-Rodders build their own stuff - maybe I'll use that as an excuse....

Oh and yes, I do know the difference between R12/R22/R134a... But I would bet that compressor doesn't....

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Howard - The units so so small that I'd be surprised if a high g corner would cause it to run out of oil but I suppose it is possible.

Randy - How big is that compressor? I agree these units are expensive but they are REALLY small.

I heard from Sean Hyland about the amp ratings. He said the ratings listed are peak at start-up but he didn't answer my question about the lower capacity unit having a higher amp draw at start-up so I sent him another message. More to come....

Dave L

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Dave,

I don't have any precise measurements but the unit in one of my son's window units looked like maybe 6" in diameter - max... Maybe 7" tall...

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Dave,

I don't have any precise measurements but the unit in one of my son's window units looked like maybe 6" in diameter - max... Maybe 7" tall...

OK, well that is pretty small too. These units are a little more than 7" tall to the top of the highest fitting and the tank is a little over 4.5" in diameter.

When I think about what it could cost to fit an AC compressor to the engine I'm using with the space I have available, the hoses run through the chassis, etc. the cost of one of these dose not bother me that much.

Dave L

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
When are you going to put up a build thread on that Europa?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I know well how that works Dave....

Watched a couple of YouTubes on the disassembly of compressors like this.
I wonder if one could be modified to use a DC motor?

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Randy - It is possible. I know these use a 3 phase motor per Sean Hyland. The amp figures are also accurate with the smaller capacity unit having a higher amp draw on start-up. Rather than spending the time and effort to try and figure out how to make my own I just bit the bullet and bought one of theirs. Saves time and frustration!

Dave L

Howard Jones

Supporter
Run the AC on track? Damn right!

I've run my GT40 at Willow Springs when the air temp was 109F and the track surface temp was approaching 150F. At Thunder Hill in the summer air temps are at least 100 and can easily reach 105+. I once taped a thermometer to my dash in my GT40 and got 118F as the car slowed down and ran slowly thru the paddock on my way back to my pit spot. On that occasion I had soaked my T shirt in cold water and put it back on under my fire suit. It was 90% dry in 25 mins. That's not much slower that a clothes drier.

If I could keep the car interior under 90F, better yet 80F, on a really hot day while on track it would be epic! What an improvement in the fun factor that would be. When you are in your 20s, 110F in the car is hot. When you turn 60 it is dangerous. Really..............heart attack is the biggest risk for old guys like me on track. No I don't have a bad heart and I don't want one either.

If you could keep the AC running from a external power source (tow vehicle charging system and cable to SLC AC system via power source big switch on SLC) and keep the SLC in the shade between sessions it really COULD work.

I like these little compressors and would love to see a complete system in a SLC. No concern on over revving the AC compressor with these. For now we seam to be at the very beginning of a new product development cycle. It will be very interesting to see what a year or two will bring.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I think electric powered devices are terribly underused....think of the power you could free up if you'd use an electric motor to power your A/C, Power Steering and power brakes!

Sure, you might need a heavier-duty alternator/battery, but like I said, if it freed up some power to make the car faster, wouldn't it be $$ well spent? How much would you have to invest in engine parts to get an equal increase in power?

Cheers!

Doug

This thread started with trying to fit an AC compressor at the front of the engine into the engine compartment. Do you need the AC due to heating up while stationary, or do you need it on the road/track? If the latter, what portion of time is spent mobile vs stuck at traffic lights/ sitting on the start line etc?

Having read through the thread from end to end, I recalled a Lola T70 running in OZ about 7 years ago where the alternator was installed on an accessory mount at the gear box and belt driven from a pulley on one of the drive shafts. I don't know if this was the primary alternator for the car, or a secondary one added to supply additional electrical power.

Depending on combinations of climate, and operating patterns, a similar arrangement mounting a traditional mechanically driven compressor may work.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Having read through the thread from end to end, I recalled a Lola T70 running in OZ about 7 years ago where the alternator was installed on an accessory mount at the gear box and belt driven from a pulley on one of the drive shafts. I don't know if this was the primary alternator for the car, or a secondary one added to supply additional electrical power.

QUOTE]

That was quite common with race cars in the 60s. In fact DeTomaso did the Mangusta that way as they ran out of room at the front with the AC compressor there.

Obviously race cars don't idle for long so lack of power generation while stopped is not a concern.

"I just bit the bullet and bought one of theirs. Saves time and frustration!"

Dave L., I started researching DC-powered AC systems and stumbled across this thread. I have a small mid-engined car that is also a challenge when adding an AC compressor w/o hacking up the firewall so I am interested to see what develops here. Its seems that you chose what is sometimes referred to as a "supplemental" system due to the BTU rating, correct? I imagine because of the smal interior space of the Lotus. I hope you will report back with any findings.

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
"I just bit the bullet and bought one of theirs. Saves time and frustration!"

Dave L., I started researching DC-powered AC systems and stumbled across this thread. I have a small mid-engined car that is also a challenge when adding an AC compressor w/o hacking up the firewall so I am interested to see what develops here. Its seems that you chose what is sometimes referred to as a "supplemental" system due to the BTU rating, correct? I imagine because of the smal interior space of the Lotus. I hope you will report back with any findings.

I have the unit in my shop but haven't had time to do anything with it. The compressor unit is very small but I spoke with Sean at SHM and he assured me that it will be more than enough for the small cockpit of the Lotus. I'll report back once I have had a chance to work on it.

Dave L

Back