Lola Question

Been looking through this forum at all the great info on the Lola T-70.

I have a question that hopefully someone can shed some light on.

I see on Eric Broadley's website that they produce Lola's using original factory tooling and that they also have a location in the USA (Alabama).

Then I see post about Mac McClendon in Florida who has original factory tooling and has building Lola's for years.

So, who has the original factory tooling? And, what constitutes a "continuation" car like Eric Broadley produces compared to Mac?

Thanks in advance for the insight!

Mike

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Mac is a good friend of mine so I may be a little biased plus I have one of his gorgeous spiders as a personal car
Mac has been repairing these cars for longer than just about anyone .
If you want a great car go see Mac.
They are considerably more expensive and less robust than an RCR though wink

Broadleys cars are not continuations cars in the sense of them being legal to race as Lola's in Europe.

Last edited:

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Hello Fran,

Long time no hear.
Remember pushing the 40 chassis into the Birmingham exhibition centre ?
As i recall, it nearly crushed my toes, but you were a good sport and bought the drinks.
Anyway, as to the Lola.
Back in approx 2008, Fox in the UK were subcontracted to make the chassis for the now defunct Lola Cars.
What exactly happened to the ' continuation ' cars licenced by Lola ?

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Many so called continuation chassis were not actually "manufactured" in the Uk but the cars were still classed as " built" meaning bolted together by Lola
Clive/ Chris did some and an aforementioned fellow in Florida did far more

Mike, I can attest to Fran's comments. I've been to Mac's shop and what he builds in his little part of heaven is nothing less then the most stunning examples of Lola cars. If I had the $$ that's who I'd commission to build me the Lola of my dreams. Mac is a very nice man and he has a great crew.

Thanks for all the replies guys!

Jimmy, I'd love to have one of Mac's Lola's, but from reading some stuff online, these can cost close to 7-figures? My gosh. I think for that kind of coin, I'd go with Fran's T-70! :thumbsup:

Mike

Mike, Don't know about the 7 figures but I know they ain't cheap. Like I said though....they're stunning! If you PM your email address I'll forward a few photos I took while at the shop.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
With original cars now being sold in the multi million dollar range it's not surprising that the price for cars of Macs caliber are also rising.

Although the Lola factory assets were sold, all rights concerning the Lola brand name itself are still owned by Martin Birraine.

He isn´t running the Lola Heritage website but also doesn´t seem to have or at least doesn´t want to raise any objections.

Hello Fran,

Anyway, as to the Lola.
Back in approx 2008, Fox in the UK were subcontracted to make the chassis for the now defunct Lola Cars.
What exactly happened to the ' continuation ' cars licenced by Lola ?

Probably a bit late on this thread but I thought I may be able to shed some light on this.
The 'official' continuation cars announced by Lola in 2005 were built under licence by Clive Robinson and final assembly only took part at Lola's factory. Chris fox had no involvement in these cars so don't know where the 'subcontracted' bit springs from. 7 cars were produced running from HU76/159 to HU76/165. 2 cars went to the US, 1 of which has now returned to the UK and is being prepared for next season. the rest stayed in Europe and are campaigned regularly in The Masters Historic Sportscar Series.
Mac had no involvement in the 3b continuation cars, although he was contracted to produce the Spider continuation cars.
Chris' Broadley T76's are not Lola products and hence the Broadley title, with Eric's backing and support. Very nice they are too.
'Many so called continuation chassis were not actually "manufactured" in the Uk but the cars were still classed as " built" meaning bolted together by Lola'
Lola built a continuation car run of 10 chassis in the late 1970's, I think 6 cars were built and 4 bare chassis supplied to customers for rebuilds. Other that these, I suppose there are the Sbarro cars that could account for all sorts of odd-ball cars.

Hope this goes someway to answering your question from someone who was there, on the inside.

Darren
Still running and restoring T70's

Probably a bit late on this thread but I thought I may be able to shed some light on this.
The 'official' continuation cars announced by Lola in 2005 were built under licence by Clive Robinson and final assembly only took part at Lola's factory. Chris fox had no involvement in these cars so don't know where the 'subcontracted' bit springs from. 7 cars were produced running from HU76/159 to HU76/165. 2 cars went to the US, 1 of which has now returned to the UK and is being prepared for next season. the rest stayed in Europe and are campaigned regularly in The Masters Historic Sportscar Series.
Mac had no involvement in the 3b continuation cars, although he was contracted to produce the Spider continuation cars.
Chris' Broadley T76's are not Lola products and hence the Broadley title, with Eric's backing and support. Very nice they are too.
'Many so called continuation chassis were not actually "manufactured" in the Uk but the cars were still classed as " built" meaning bolted together by Lola'
Lola built a continuation car run of 10 chassis in the late 1970's, I think 6 cars were built and 4 bare chassis supplied to customers for rebuilds. Other that these, I suppose there are the Sbarro cars that could account for all sorts of odd-ball cars.

Hope this goes someway to answering your question from someone who was there, on the inside.

Darren
Still running and restoring T70's

Hi Darren,
Do you have any more details on the 10 chassis built in the 70's?
I acquired a mkII spider chassis from a T70 owner/restorer who said it was made by Lola in the 70's as a replacement for Bobby Browns car. However, the original chassis of Browns car was repaired instead and the replacement tub was forgotten about in the roof of a workshop until my searching paid off.
I would like to find out more about my chassis as I am documenting the build.
Thanks, Karl

The 10 chassis built in the 70's were all mk3b, so completely different to your mk2 chassis. It is possible that Lola farmed out the job as I'm fairly certain they would have got rid of most of the chassis/jig fittings by then.

Back