Something is missing

Keith, nice to know your ears are working beautifully as that sound is nothing less then, as you said, intoxicating. WOW! If Mike can produce that sound he'll be the envy of many.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
The car is still in a thousand pieces. I have been working with TKO Motorsports on a coil-over package that will include lifts on the front. The car is being dropped an inch and a half from where I had ride height set before. I have been waiting on a set of rear BRMs from SPF for six months. Apparently, there are supply problems and yesterday I gave up. I sent my current set out to Vaughn for modification. Alloy block and 3" stroke crank showed up last week after being ordered in March. Once things are assembled then I will take the car down to my fab guys to build headers on the car. If all goes as planned, the car will be done just in time to put it up for winter :)

No mods next year!

Keith

Keith, nice to know your ears are working beautifully as that sound is nothing less then, as you said, intoxicating. WOW! If Mike can produce that sound he'll be the envy of many.

Yep, that'll be the Webers and the Le Mans spec cam contributing to that glorious cacophony.... ;)

(Plus the 180 headers and megaphones of course...)

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Here is my take which will soon be proven correct or disproven. That sound is a product of a few things in combination. The crossover is a given but the collector and megaphone configuration along with the cam timing, solid lifters, compression, and the bore and stroke configuration of the engine, is mostly responsible for the sound. The Webers will add a little intake noise but there are many cars with Webers that don't sound anything like that. I'm starting with a 4bl for a couple reasons. Once you cover up Webers with an air filter then what is the point? I don't want to run open Webers here in Colorado because of the dust. I have little interest in doing engine rebuilds every couple years and 5K miles because of digesting a steady stream of grit. I think I will be damn close on the sound but will have to wait until we fire it for the first time to know. It's an expensive experiment that is for sure :)

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Lots of great sounding cars out there

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/E3HVsFKT3Bs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Keith

I think a worked on 4 barrel is perfect for these motors, but if you want that popping on the overrun and induction roar, it's Webers (I think it's designed in!) all the way. The ITG filters shown on the video are very effective for Weber and 8 stack,

Go on Mike, you know you want to keep fiddling with it afterwards... :)

itg filters US distributor

Keith

"Lots of great sounding cars out there..."

Yep, that's a cracker, loving the Linden Green too....

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I think a worked on 4 barrel is perfect for these motors, but if you want that popping on the overrun and induction roar, it's Webers (I think it's designed in!) all the way. The ITG filters shown on the video are very effective for Weber and 8 stack,

Go on Mike, you know you want to keep fiddling with it afterwards... :)

itg filters US distributor

I will find out soon enough. I've got the Le Mans cam and everything else. I will go Webers with the filters if that is required for that sound. I'm not convinced yet :)

I just wonder if you will hear that same highly sought after glorious sound from inside the car ?
If not, you'll have maybe to buy another car to follow your best friend driving yours :D (I'm willing to volunteer, if he is not free) Or installing a microphone near the exhaust, connected to your helmet headset ?

Keith

I just wonder if you will hear that same highly sought after glorious sound from inside the car ?
If not, you'll have maybe to buy another car to follow your best friend driving yours :D (I'm willing to volunteer, if he is not free) Or installing a microphone near the exhaust, connected to your helmet headset ?

Good point Pierre-Louis! Watch out for

"2161 The Video!"

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Funny you say that. I really enjoy having my brother drive my car and following him in the Merc with the top down. GT40s both look and sound great down the highway.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Weber guys tell me you have two choices. Either screens that are way too restrictive and will not flow enough or screens that flow enough and allow a lot of particles through. The large KN paper filters or the ITGs above are great but then you would not be able to tell if it was a 4bl or Webers and so what is the point unless you just purposely want the hassle of tuning Webers.

If it was mine & in a MK1 GT40 I would be looking to install/hide large 'pod' type filters in each air entry to the plenum then concentrate on sealing the plenum area to carb tops a bit like the Daytona Coupe Air Box setups to the hood scoop. Wont be easy, but doable, glad I am not a weber guy!

Attachments

• AC-Shelby-Cobra-Daytona-Coupe_9.jpg
    AC-Shelby-Cobra-Daytona-Coupe_9.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 565
Weber guys tell me you have two choices. Either screens that are way too restrictive and will not flow enough or screens that flow enough and allow a lot of particles through. The large KN paper filters or the ITGs above are great but then you would not be able to tell if it was a 4bl or Webers and so what is the point unless you just purposely want the hassle of tuning Webers.

Mike,
You really need to talk with Jim Inglese about Weber carbs. He'll correct the misconceptions from 'Them'. If you want a turkey pan setup he is the man. Also, you can't find anyone more knowledgeable, and enthusiastic about helping people and simplifying the Weber set-up.

Home

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I did at length. I'm not interested in running a cam with 112 degree lobe centers :)

For me the decision not to run them came down to filtration. If I felt comfortable with running them unfiltered then they would be on the car along with a 106 degree cam reversion and all.

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
What about a filter like this. You can see all of the carbs and still have more than adequate filtration. Plus, it seals off and has only cold air going to it. Ron McCall took this picture of my car at Road America. Ron are you still on the forum? Enjoyed meeting up with you in Houston at the POCA convention.

Attachments

• 100_1752-2.jpg
    100_1752-2.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 565
Back