Electric A/C Compressor

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Well, it only took me 6 months to get back to working on the car! The electric compressor and associated controller are mounted in the front boot of the Europa. I also did my first DIY AC hose using the E-Z Clip System from Vintage Air/Aeroquip - very slick. More hose work tomorrow, need to hook up the dryer with trinary switch, etc.

Regards,
Dave L

Attachments

• AC Compressor and Controller Installed.jpg
    AC Compressor and Controller Installed.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 949
  • AC Hose Connector - Aeroquip E-Z Clip.jpg
    AC Hose Connector - Aeroquip E-Z Clip.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 691
  • Electric AC Controller.jpg
    Electric AC Controller.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 687

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Looks really nice Dave! Did you paint the Lizard Skin or use something else? Very clean and sanitary.. Love it!

Merry Christmas to you and yours....

Let us all know how well the compressor works. P.s. is it a DC compressor or a/c like a 3 phase with a motor drive to control frequency?

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Randy. It isn't Lizard Skin, just battleship grey paint that my painter had around. Merry Christmas to you as well - AZ looks like fun!

Rod - It is a DC unit. I'll post how well it works once I finally finish the car!

Regards,
Dave L

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Okay -- I thought that part of the car was sprayed over at CH with Lizard skin... It looks really nice! AZ is working out pretty nicely! Thx!

Newly developed 12 V unit in the UK, Small and very efficient, fits entirely in front compartment behind radiator, watch this space for further news, but not from me!

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
49 amps draw pretty hefty
That's going to really tax an alternator

From what I've been able to determine, electric compressors are rated at start-up current which is high. The unit I purchased is 33 amps, 49 amps is really high. However, running current is supposed to be much less - I just haven't been able to determine how much less. I spoke with Jay at InfinityBox and he said the 25 amp output of the PowerCell should be fine for the unit I purchased. Time will tell.

Dave L

I'm looking at options for aircon in my GT40. Dave L, did you get this going? Frank C, do you have any info on the UK built compressor you referred to? Has anyone running electric aircon in a GT40 successfully?

Back