KVA VIN number?

Hi guys, I'm in the process of buying a KVA project thats nearly complete. Do you know if the KVA chassis have a VIN stamped someplace?

It's a type C chassis

Mine is on the driver's side rear frame - just behind the coil spring - it's on top of the rail.
Good Luck!

Post some pictures of your KVA.
John

Thanks John. I'm just not sure how this kitcar stuff works, did KVA put VINs on all the chassis they made or did they just make up a number that they liked? If I register the car in norway Im pretty sure it will be registered as a 2016 car and I'll have to pay at least 40.000$ tax. If it registers as a 1996 (kit age) then it'l be just 10.000$ and if 1966 then no tax cause it'll be a veteran/classic

Norwegian tax rules are killing me. If I can register it in sweden or england as a 1996 or 1966 I'll buy it. If not, its just too expensive :(

I bought mine from a seller in the US and it came with a bill of sale listing the VIN # and a certificate of origin. See if your seller has this info!

:thumbsup:

Mike Pass

Supporter
Hi Ole,
The car in the pics does not look like a KVA C type chassis to me unless it has been modified. I have attached some pics of KVA C type chassis so you can compare them. I have also attached a pic of KVA Mk1 chassis which used a complete Cortina Mk3 axle assembly at the front and a fabricated swinging arm setup at the rear. This was not the best setup and a lot different to the original suspension on the GT40 so many people modified them with their own double wishbone front and trailing link/reversed lower wishbone rear suspension.
If it is a KVA chassis then it has to be quite old as the last ones were built by GTD before they produced their own chassis.
Hope this helps if you can't trace it back through previous owners.
Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• KVA Mk1 for Cortina Mk3 front axle assy.jpg
    KVA Mk1 for Cortina Mk3 front axle assy.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 655
  • KVA C type front.jpg
    KVA C type front.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 618
  • KVA C type front 2.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 380
  • KVA C type rear.jpg
    KVA C type rear.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 806
  • KVA C type.jpg
    KVA C type.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 695

Mike Pass

Supporter
These magazine pages may be of interest to you.
Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• KVA Mag scan 1.jpg
    KVA Mag scan 1.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 637
  • KVA Mag scan 2.jpg
    KVA Mag scan 2.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 573
  • KVA Mag scan 3.jpg
    KVA Mag scan 3.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 586
  • KVA Mag scan 4.jpg
    KVA Mag scan 4.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 624

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
I bought mine from a seller in the US and it came with a bill of sale listing the VIN # and a certificate of origin. See if your seller has this info!

I am not familiar with Norwegian requirements, but it would strike me that if you wish to register this as an older build then it would likely require either a title of prior registration or MSO (certificate of origin) to prove age.

Julian

I am not familiar with Norwegian requirements, but it would strike me that if you wish to register this as an older build then it would likely require either a title of prior registration or MSO (certificate of origin) to prove age.

Julian

Julian,

What kind of transaxle go you have in your KVA?

John

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Julian,

What kind of transaxle go you have in your KVA?

John

John,

I sold the KVA (it was actually a Sabre/Integrity Coachworks) not long after acquiring the ERA. It had a Porsche 901 transaxle with race hardened gears. I have a Kitcar Magazine feature here from 1997 along with copies of all the Integrity literature but it seems it is too big to upload, I'll have to work to split it out to single pages.

Julian

Thanks alot to all you guys for the input! It seems I will have to let this one go. I see replicas with licence plates for sale now and then, though much more expensive, It'll have to be one of those because of the rules and taxes we have here...

John,

I sold the KVA (it was actually a Sabre/Integrity Coachworks) not long after acquiring the ERA. It had a Porsche 901 transaxle with race hardened gears. I have a Kitcar Magazine feature here from 1997 along with copies of all the Integrity literature but it seems it is too big to upload, I'll have to work to split it out to single pages.

Julian

Thanks Julian, mine is a KVA by Sabre/Integrity Coachworks also - I have a Porsche 930 transaxle. Some Porsche transaxles are quite tough!

Do you like the ERA more than the Sabre?

John

Rune

Supporter
Sorry for using Norwegian here :)
Hei undersøk om du kan få registrert den som kit car, det betyr at du må demontere alt og bygge opp igjen på ny etter de nye reglene om selvbygging av bil. Send meg en melding hvis du er interessert.

Rune.

Rune

Supporter
Nei jeg er ikke ferdig, men jeg bygger i tett kontakt med biltilsynet og de er fornøyd så langt.
Rune

Sorry for using Norwegian here :)
Hei undersøk om du kan få registrert den som kit car, det betyr at du må demontere alt og bygge opp igjen på ny etter de nye reglene om selvbygging av bil. Send meg en melding hvis du er interessert.

Rune.

Hei Rune, jeg kjenner til reglene, men det virker som ingen helt vet hva slags avgifter som tilfaller når bilen skal registreres!

Holder du til i Oslo?

Hi Ole,

My KVA chassis was built in 1992, and was the last one made before Ken closed for business.

It came with no vin# at all. Not only that, I had no receipt, in fact no paperwork at all.

I stamped my own Vin #, as there was no way to get a Vin from a company which had ceased trading. I also believe that KVA did not export to the USA, so I have no idea what Vin they have in the USA.

A Swiss friend was having trouble registering his car, so he brought it to the UK, went through the UK test and registration procedure, then drove it home as a personal import.

A Dutch friend drove his car to France for registration. The French were so confused by their own regulations that he ended up getting it registered there when it became a personal feud between to warring bureaucrats.

The moral of the story is, there is always a way when you have the need, as long as the car is roadworthy.
Tony.

:laugh::laugh: thanks!

Hi Ole,

My KVA chassis was built in 1992, and was the last one made before Ken closed for business.

It came with no vin# at all. Not only that, I had no receipt, in fact no paperwork at all.

I stamped my own Vin #, as there was no way to get a Vin from a company which had ceased trading. I also believe that KVA did not export to the USA, so I have no idea what Vin they have in the USA.

A Swiss friend was having trouble registering his car, so he brought it to the UK, went through the UK test and registration procedure, then drove it home as a personal import.

A Dutch friend drove his car to France for registration. The French were so confused by their own regulations that he ended up getting it registered there when it became a personal feud between to warring bureaucrats.

The moral of the story is, there is always a way when you have the need, as long as the car is roadworthy.
Tony.

Back