Mark's GT-R Build

I am getting ready to order tires for the GT-R and would like to hear anyone's comments about suggested brands - Toyo, Nitto, Michelin, Pirelli. I would like to put 345's on the back to fill the wheel well, and it sounds like 285's might work on the front. I like the looks of the Toyo R888, but the Nitto Invo appears to be very popular. Any comments or suggestions???

I like the Nitto's but i have the Proxis on this car. I will probably run the Nitto's on my second car and just see what I like the best.

Howard Jones

Supporter
My advice is to buy street tires that will last more than a year or two. The regular piolet sport, 300 UTQG rated tires will last a couple of years of street driving. My guess would be about 10-11k miles to worn out or 5-6k until they begin to fall off. The rears will go in half the time as the fronts. Maybe 5k rear and 10K front. At least that how they wear on my GT40. Stick with 300 as a minimum.

Here is what I am thinking for a set of street tires for my SLC in the future.

Continental*ExtremeContact DW

On the other hand the new breed of super soft max summer tires are in the 80 range like the piolet cup+ and the Dunlop sport maxx or even the 60 UTQG rated Pirelli P Zero R's are nothing more than DOE slicks with a bit of tread cut into them. After all the Hoosier's R6 is a 40 rated tire.

Those would last weeks on a street car if pushed hard, and if you aren't going to really put it to em then why buy them. None of these ultra max summer tires will work at all in the wet. If you need tires that soft for track days then a second set of wheels with a set of slicks on them would be my advice.

Save the 1+ G corners for the track. You'll poke your eye out kid...........

I have had lots of luck with the BFG KDW's. Rated for wet also, but give incredible dry grip (as well as wet) and last a very long time.

Thanks for your input on tires. The GT-R has huge wheel wells to fill, so I want 345's in the rear. That appears to limit the choices. After reading the reviews, including comments about tire noise, I decided to go with Nitto Invo 345's on the rear and 285's in the front. I hope it will turn without hitting the bodywork.

Just waiting to hear about the delivery date. I do not want to hurry it because I have asked Fran to attach the engine/clutch/transaxle/starter motor on his end, as well as the water pump modifications needed to run the coolant lines. I am new to car building and want to respect my limitations. Also, South Florida does not have the fabrication capabilities I had when I lived near Detroit. I have a great shop right next door to my shop in Naples, and they can fabricate the custom headers, and really help me out with whatever I run into.

I have a camera and tripod ready and waiting to document the build. Then I will know what to ask.

I am ordering fasteners and read in someone's build the need for ordering special washers for the suspension that do not come with the kit. Does anyone have any knowledge about these washers? I recall that they are thinner and improved materials.

Thank you for your help with the washer question. I have the dry lubricant to use on the suspension components as they are reassembled. Are there any other suspension tricks that you have found helpful? I will be using a front suspension lift kit, since this will be street car. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I just got word from Katech that the motor has been assembled. There was a delay in getting the LS7 heads we had made by Texas Speed. The motor is waiting for Dyno time, which should be in a week or so, then the motor goes to Superlite. The body is not yet in from the fiberglass sub-contractor, so the motor really did not slow things up. The chassis and suspension is reported to be complete. I am having Fran assemble the transaxle, clutch, motor and mount it. Also need to have custom throttle body adaptors made to get around some space issues. The light is at least visible at the end of the tunnel to be able to set up a shipping date.

Howard

I have run the Conti DWs on my Corvette and BMW and they perform extremely well on track and street. They are very good wet or dry.....they are a good all round tire. Very quiet, but will announce their limit before letting loose.

Katech has the motor built. Just waiting for the Dyno time to run it and tune it. It will then have the Carbon valve covers added, then off to Superlite to have Fran install the drivetrain. Thanks to Fran and Katech for mocking up the motor in the GT-R to determine space issues. The custom throttle body adapters were designed and built by Fran. He has been so supportive. This photo is the motor waiting for the dyno. The baby's due date is approaching. Getting excited!

Attachments

• CarbonXR-LS3-blur-red.jpg
    CarbonXR-LS3-blur-red.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 1,277
Hi Dan:
I will be using the Graziano per Fran's suggestion. We don't know the power output of this motor yet, but everyone agrees the transaxle will take it.

Back