I Bought a Race Car

Looks great Pete!

But, there is something missing from the pictures. I can't put my finger on it, just, well somethings lacking ..... :laugh:

Hi Pete

I will be at Phillip Island on the weekend, should be a good meeting with 500 plus entries.I will look you up if all goes well. Your car look great,well done to all involved.
Darrell
DRB #46
LS1 G50

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Pete

I will be at Phillip Island on the weekend, should be a good meeting with 500 plus entries.I will look you up if all goes well. Your car look great,well done to all involved.
Darrell
DRB #46
LS1 G50

By all means come and say hello.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
We're ready.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    168.2 KB · Views: 421

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Well the first race weekend out of the way with better than expected results.
We would have been satisfied with somewhere in the top ten, but on Friday qualifying David managed to qualify in third place, so we were very happy.
The program had quali on Friday with a race in the afternoon, Saturday had two races and Sunday two
In race one we finished fourth with our driver complaining about a lack of power as all drivers do, we put it down to rustiness and a couple of minor mistakes that David was making which was costing him momentum particularly onto the main straight.
In the second race we finished in 8th place after David made a couple of minor errors, he was still losing momentum onto the main straight which was costing a lot of time. Of course he was still complaining about a lack of power and blaming that on the lack of grunt onto the main straight.
With one race to go on the Saturday there was not much we could do other than a compression test which checked out o.k. In the next race we finished 8th.
It seemed the car was exceeding our expectations but our Driver was still insisting that it lacked power especially coming onto the straight.
We were running a slight overdrive top gear and decided to change it to 1:1.
When we tried to start the car after the ratio change nothing happened the starter wouldn't engage.
Upon inspection we discovered that the pinion gear was completely stripped, fortunately we had a spare and replaced it. While Luke our spanner, was testing that all the gears were working when he shifted into third the car stalled. We realised that the start button was in the wrong position and shifting into third the drivers fist was pressing the starter button and engaging the starter, hence the stripped pinion gear and apparent lack of power. Driver looking smug although he never actually said I told you so.
We relocated the start button! In the next race we started eighth, in this format you start the next race in the position you finished the previous. We finished 4th by less than a tenth of a second. So we were all looking forward to the next and final race of the weekend.
We started in fourth and on the second lap while attempting to gain third the car in front closed the door firmly as you do, David had to lift ant that was enough to cause him to spin, in turn one at Phillip Island the cars are going as fast as a FF can go in excess of 200kmp, chaos ensured with cars going everywhere and unfortunately one of them had nowhere to go and t boned our car, causing a lot of damage to both cars. A sad way to finish the weekend but as they say that's motor racing, or as I say fuckit.
Thanks to David Roberts, Luke and John Ellery, Alice Piccolo and Craig Burns. Great effort team.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    46.5 KB · Views: 352
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 332

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Here is a video of the final race courtesy of Steve Willing. I'm not sure if I mentioned there were 54 cars in the field. We are the red car that Steve closes on on the second lap the blue car closes the door we spin and Anthony Mann has nowhere to go.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF1ftpLJII8&sns=em[/ame]

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
That was a test to see if I still could fit in one. Which I obviously passed, I must admit getting back out was a bit of a struggle.

Nice write up.
Luckily that wasn't really a T-Bone, more or less a side swipe in reverse. Did it mangle the suspension mounts or just break the suspension arms?

Boy, those guys were all over the shop, with the camera car later making wheel to wheel contact at MG. Seems less HP makes for more bravado as you didn't see the F5000 guys doing the same.

Good stuff, except for the bent bits. :smash:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
The start line up the cars stretched around the final turn. We are second row on the right as you view it.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 332

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Nice write up.
Luckily that wasn't really a T-Bone, more or less a side swipe in reverse. Did it mangle the suspension mounts or just break the suspension arms?

Boy, those guys were all over the shop, with the camera car later making wheel to wheel contact at MG. Seems less HP makes for more bravado as you didn't see the F5000 guys doing the same.

Good stuff, except for the bent bits. :smash:

Two corners destroyed and side intrusion bars bent, driver very bruised from the impact. The car will have to be stripped and the bent bars cut out and replaced. The chassis crack tested and re-powder coated. One of the f5000 cars was also involved in a crash and badly damaged although I haven't seen any footage yet.

The start line up the cars stretched around the final turn. We are second row on the right as you view it.

Hell, they only let us start 40 motorcycles there! And we took up a whole lot less space.
Leanne must have given you lot the secret password or something.

Bummer about the bent chassis bars, that's going to take some effort.

Back