Brake bais bar lock off

Brian Magee

Supporter
That won't satisfy the IVA examiners, It has to be 'permanently' locked.
I have just helped someone through the test. We adjusted the brakes so that the fronts came on just before the backs by jacking all four wheels off the ground and turning the wheels by hand with the brake partly on. We drilled the nuts for the roll pins but not the bar then took it for the test . When the examiner was happy with the balance of the brakes and after a failure (which is inevitable) we took it back to the re-test with roll pins fitted. The examiner was then happy.

Brian.

A lock nut, followed by some lock wire through a hole in the shaft will be fine. This got me through my IVA with no issues
Rgds,
Andy

I agree with Andy a steel locknut will do the job, lock wire as well but not always vital. Don't forget the "don't adjust" sticker needs to be in the area
Cheers
Roger Allen

Reading the locost forums, some examiners didn't like the lock wire / welding approach as it meant it would never be changed if it proved to be wrong in the future (!). This particular examiner preferred the locknut approach as it could be changed if it had to. Swings and roundabouts... Maybe call your local IVA centre an see what they say.

Back