I Bought a Race Car

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Off to Winton next weekend, should be a fun meeting.

Well it wasn't, we missed two practice sessions because of a 40 cent circlip. The air temperature was 0.6 degrees centigrade in the morning and that warmed up to a balmy 13C. Needless to say we had great difficulty getting any heat in the tires.
We qualified in 8th place, which was disappointing, the car was sliding everywhere but would suddenly grip and spear you off into the weeds a bit like a motor cycle high side. Very disconcerting from a driver viewpoint.

We had three races and finished 9th, 17th after a spin and 8th. The good news is the car is in one piece and has four wheels pointing in the same direction.
Sandown in a couple of months.
The picture shows our car after the spin, the infield was a bit damp and yes the car is covered in mud. Took forever to clean.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 361
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 437

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Last weekend it was Sandown Park Raceway in Melbourne where we did battle.
Qualifying on the Saturday went o.k.with us qualifying 3rd out of a field of 35 cars.
There was also a race on Saturday in which we finished fifth and managed to blow a head gasket fortunately on the slow down lap. We changed the head gasket and discovered the gasket appeared to have been pinched on assembly.

Sunday was a much better day weather wise, andwith a new head gasket fitted we were ready to fire with two races scheduled for the day. Race one saw David overtake two cars early to gain third place, but on lap five he stopped the car with overheating problems and lack of power.:thumbsdown:

We decided that something more was amiss with the engine and chose not to start the next race and risk damaging the engine. We haven't pulled it down yet as our next race isn't until March next year. When we do l'll let you know what I discover.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    168.2 KB · Views: 374
Last edited:

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Congratulations Pete on getting the car back together and getting back on the track, real racing in Formula Ford, always tight going.

5th sounds like a good result.

Pity about the engine problems

Ian

Hi Pete
I see your car on the Phillip Island entry list, I will be there hope to see you.
Just purchased a FF in a pile of boxes. Should be a fun project.

Darrell DRB LS1/G50

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Pete
I see your car on the Phillip Island entry list, I will be there hope to see you.
Just purchased a FF in a pile of boxes. Should be a fun project.

Darrell DRB LS1/G50

It was great to meet up with you, we were seriously down on HP on the week end.
Here is a clip of the final race, David started in 6th put a wheel on the grass at turn 2 and went back to last 32nd. He fought his way back to 16th, all good fun.PI Historic?s - YouTube

Back