GT40 public attention

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Hmmm, I once took my car to a charity show for a school, I went to grab something to eat and came back to find despite signs saying look admire but please don't touch supplied by one of the sponsors, a father allowing his young kid not only to sit in the car but put his muddy boots on my dash!
When I asked him politely to get his child out of my car he wanted to fight me. Fortunately his fear was bigger than his bark.
On the other hand I once had a young lady in a passing car flash her boobs at me, so it's not all bad.

Pat

Supporter
At a show at Disney world, we had just pulled in to where they planned to display the cars. I opened the rear deck to let things cool a bit. A couple (Brazilian I think) came over and instructed their age 4-5 child to climb on top of the engine for a photo. I was stunned standing next to the car and asked the parents immediately to retrieve their kid. They gave me the universal "I don't understand gesture" and junior kept climbing. I grabbed the child just before he was about to put his flip-flop sandal wearing foot on one of the still hot headers. The father started shouting, I started shouting and fortunately Disney cast members were there to prevent further unpleasantness.

The photo below is a different kid. His name is Billy. Whenever you have a show where kids will be there, have a good coat of wax on the car so you can remove the "traces of Billy" without a buffer and polish. Aside from wanting to touch everything, his parents tried their best to keep him a safe distance away. I have a feeling Billy will be a real joy in his teen years...

Attachments

• I love kids.jpg
    I love kids.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 423

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I had the MK II at Carlisle import/kit and came from the far end of our display to find a guy seated in the car, door closed. I tapped on the window and he opened the door "Nice car" I said, "is it yours?" "No, dude, I wish!" was his reply. "Well I said, it IS mine!" I explained that had he asked I would have certainly let him sit in it and in fact have only ever turned one person down (it was a matter of gallon into a quart container if you understand) and that he had not respected the "Code of the Car Guy" i.e. you NEVER fool with someone else's car. You might sleep with your buddy's wife, but you would never fook with his car!

I feel so, so, so, so sorry for you guys, the sacrificing you endure at the pump, the bothersome question you get from those who are just wanting a minute of your fill-up time.

Sell it or find a way live with it OR: Tart it up with all kinds of livery, decals and add the fuzz to the list of pull me over conversations :)

Chris

It confirms there are a lot of idiots in this world that have zero respect for other people's property, confirming they were raised by the same bigger idiots.

I'm very surprised by the bad adventure you had in car show in the US.

Each time I came in the US I have felt people respectful, honest and polite.

Here it's the contrary.. I never had problems with people in or on my cars whereas they were not invited to.

ROBY427

I have been "showing" cars for more than 40 years. In that time I've experienced all kinds of positive and negative situations. Chris your comments are unnecessary and disregard the cost and effort it takes to put an automobile in a public location for others to see and appreciate. This is not done for a trophy or monetary reward.

As an owner I expect a minimum level of respect for my property and recognize that not everybody gets it. for every kid/adult who can't keep their hands to themselves, there's many who enjoy seeing automobiles not in the normal purview. There are many kids who had their picture taken in my 40 because I enjoy seeing the smile it brings. Hopefully these people will have the opportunity to someday display their vehicle for the pleasure of others.

I feel so, so, so, so sorry for you guys, the sacrificing you endure at the pump, the bothersome question you get from those who are just wanting a minute of your fill-up time.

Sell it or find a way live with it OR: Tart it up with all kinds of livery, decals and add the fuzz to the list of pull me over conversations :)

Chris

I don't know what prompted this comment. Nobody feels bothered. I gladly let others enjoy my fortune and talk to them happily about the car. I think we're merely describing some of the more or less comical situations we run into. Although, I think I would be seriously irritated with people not respecting my property by loading their kids into my cars without my approval or touching my cars.

Pat, your restraint is far superior to mine. Knowing you as I do, if coming from someone else I'd find it hard to belief. Your experience is one I'd slot into the "you've got to be kidding" class. Unreal anyone would think that would be acceptable behavior.

Thinking as a man who's single.....was his wife much to look at because as soon as the child put any body part on my car I'd have returned the favor by placing my hands on his wife's body parts!

Pat

Supporter
Thinking as a man who's single.....was his wife much to look at because as soon as the child put any body part on my car I'd have returned the favor by placing my hands on his wife's body parts!

While the brat's Mom was a bit of a looker but you've met my wife and know that no one can compare... ;)

Actually, I was more worried about somebody screaming "child abuse" when I picked the kid off the sponson. The Disney cast members were quick to the scene and probably gave them fee tickets to something. The problem with some of these shows is that many in the general public think it's like a new car dealer show room and it's permissible to climb all over everything. One of the other fellows in the club had someone decide they wanted his skull shift knob and pinched it when he took a bathroom break.

I don't know what prompted this comment. Nobody feels bothered. I gladly let others enjoy my fortune and talk to them happily about the car. I think we're merely describing some of the more or less comical situations we run into. Although, I think I would be seriously irritated with people not respecting my property by loading their kids into my cars without my approval or touching my cars.

Although I never did get to complete my MDA, when it was parked on the driveway to do some work there would be people who would stop their car and come over for a chat, people out for a walk etc. It was nice to meet them and I had a lot of positive experiences.

Never did get much done some days... ;0

Chris

Attachments

• Top-Front_01.jpg
    Top-Front_01.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 408
As someone said, you have to be in the right mood. If I was working late and had driven my VX220 into work I would often take the long route home on the motorway to avoid cutting through town and having every boy racer with a lowered Corsa trying to race me.<?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I do a fair amount of vehicle testing in prototype cars, occasionally on public roads here and in the US. In the UK you do get people nearly having accidents, and photos are a given. In the US people are FAR more likely to stop you and ask questions, usually with a lot more whooping and hollering than the UK… After a couple of weeks on the roads in a prototype GT car you do get a bit sick of it, especially if you are British, and therefore not used to talking to anybody who you don’t know.<o:p></o:p>
That said I remember reading a post from a guy years back that influenced me quite a bit. He said something along the lines of “You are very privileged to own a supercar of any form, it will be a dream car for many people who aren’t as lucky as you. You should try and do everything you can to maintain that dream for them. Always keep you car clean and in the best condition. Show it a car shows for others to see and photograph. Take passengers for charity rides, and allow small kids to sit in it. You were that kid once.” <o:p></o:p>
I can still remember every fancy car I saw as a kid and going to car shows with my dad. That was probably what shaped me into a job in automotive engineering and to build a GT40. I think this guy was right and you should try and give back where possible. It’s a simple way to make a memorable day for a lot of people.<o:p></o:p>
I’m obviously a way off finishing my car, but I’ve already decided when it’s finished I’m going to sign up for Sporting Bears. It’s a UK based kids charity where people can pay for charity rides in a range of owner driven sports/super cars. There’s already a guy with a GT40 replica who earns them £75 a 10min ride (most cars are cheaper) on the charity days. I think it’s a lovely way to show off the car to true enthusiasts but also give a little back.<o:p></o:p>

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
“You are very privileged to own a supercar of any form, it will be a dream car for many people who aren’t as lucky as you...allow small kids to sit in it. YOU WERE THAT KID ONCE.”

Wow! That caused a few 'flashbacks'!

The one I remember most for some reason happened as my wife and I were about to pull out onto the street leaving a restaurant parking lot. In my drivers-side mirror, I caught a glimpse of a young kid (8 or 9-years-old?) bursting through the restaurant's front doors about 30 feet away...eyes as big as dinner plates and mouth agape in awe...'you know the look? I'd seen that look a time or two before (I'd had that same look on my own face more than once as a small boy) and 'knew exactly what was going on in that young man's head...sooo...

I explained to the Mrs., "I'm going to have to back up and pull over and park for a minute or two"...so, I did. Once I'd stopped the car, I opened the driver's door and motioned for the young man to come over (by that time, his older brother [a teenager] and his mom and dad had caught up with him just outside the restaurant). 'Took the young man roughly .005 seconds to cover the 30 feet-or-so between the restaurant doors and my GT! That kid was QUICK!

You can guess the rest.

We were probably there for about 15 minutes.

As we were about to leave, their dad thanked me "for taking the time to make my boys' day", and he said he doubted either one would ever forget "this morning"...'that seeing/sitting in the car would be all the younger one would be talking about for weeks.

An Aside: I know they'll remember. I'll remember "(that) morning", too....and the look on that young man's face. "(I was) that kid once." Memories like that work both ways.

I'm 72-years-old and I still remember seeing my first Corvette...a brand new 1957 "Fuelie"...brown w/'tanish' side coves...southbound on (a certain) Avenue going by (a certain) Catholic church - and I only saw that 'Vette for a few seconds...I didn't even get the chance to walk around it let alone sit in it...and yet I can still see that car in my mind's eye as clearly today as if it were in front of me right now.

Judging from my own experience with the 'Vette, my bet is when those two boys are my age they will remember when they saw their first Ford GT every bit as clearly.

Last edited:
Back