Mark's GT-R Build

In a previous post(#36) Luke showed the K & N cold air filter/ intake, and it was pointed out that it is good for about 250 to 350 hp. I have a dual throttle body set up and it looks like the motor will be around 600hp. Would a pair of these work? They look great and will fit on the throttle bodies after the custom adapters. I think I could run the tubing right up to the air inlets in the "B" pillars, and with a little fiberglass work, could make a sweet cold air intake setup. Any comments?

I just got word that the GT-R is ready to ship and should be arriving here in Naples on June 5th. The crazy thing is that I have a 2 month motor home trip planned with departure the day after the car gets here. At least I will get to see it.

I have been working on the final stages of my garage, with the "Car Bar" being the last project. The bar is in. Working on the rock veneer for the back wall and the front of the bar. Lighting, plumbing and AV, then it is finished. Just in time for the car to get here.

Some photos of the bar. Car pics to soon follow

Attachments

• Car Bar Construction 2.jpg
    Car Bar Construction 2.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 877
  • Car Bar Construction.jpg
    Car Bar Construction.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 895
In a previous post(#36) Luke showed the K & N cold air filter/ intake, and it was pointed out that it is good for about 250 to 350 hp. I have a dual throttle body set up and it looks like the motor will be around 600hp. Would a pair of these work? They look great and will fit on the throttle bodies after the custom adapters. I think I could run the tubing right up to the air inlets in the "B" pillars, and with a little fiberglass work, could make a sweet cold air intake setup. Any comments?

I was considering these intakes for my LS1 build but I had some concerns about them. I'd say with a Katech LS3 and cross-ram intake with dual throttle bodies, these filter/intakes will be limiting your airflow at high RPM. That 350 hp is for turbo engines. 250 hp NA. If you took advantage of a ram air effect maybe you could be closer to 300, but you wouldn't be forcing as much air as a turbo for sure. Take a look at the filter. I think you would need more surface area. This is at 47 sq in. There are calculators out there to determine requirements. You can compare to your heads/intake combination CFM.

RC-5052.jpg

I have a bone stock LS3, with just the one stock throttle body. I tried a K&N filter that was just a tad larger than the one in your PIC and it was too restrictive. In fact, it caused a “Fuel rich mixture” ODBII code. I swapped it for a much larger filter and the ODBII codes went away.

You can just barely see the filter in this PIC. Sorry its the only PIC of the filter I could find. The filter is near the center air vents, so I fabricated a top for it to keep most of the rain out of the intake.

Attachments

• SLC John connor-8 small.jpg
    SLC John connor-8 small.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 892
I have everything finished in the "Car Bar" except the lighting. As you can see, I cut out a wall in what was once an office, then changed the ceiling so I could store parts in the "loft." Added a bar, seating, some rock wall accents and pictures. Now ready for the "arrival" party. Just don't know when that will be.

Attachments

• IMG_2184.JPG
    IMG_2184.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 958
  • IMG_2176.JPG
    IMG_2176.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 907
Thanks, Guys, for the info on the air filter. I can see that I need to speak to the guys at K&N and see if they can help with a solution. I want to make use of the 'B' pillar air ducts, if I can. Hot air is a problem for mid engine cars. Hopefully can find the right answer. Again, thanks for you info.

I have everything finished in the "Car Bar" except the lighting. As you can see, I cut out a wall in what was once an office, then changed the ceiling so I could store parts in the "loft." Added a bar, seating, some rock wall accents and pictures. Now ready for the "arrival" party. Just don't know when that will be.

Very cool! Very nice 458 Spider too!

I finally got the call. My GT-R is on the transporter headed to Florida. I am traveling, but will fly down on Monday to see the delivery. I won't be able to actually start the build until October due to travel plans, but will get some pictures to get this build finally started.

The car finally arrived, so this officially starts the build. Before I go into any details, I would like to thank Dean, Allen, Will, Howard, Scott, and all of the others who contribute to this forum. Without your help, I would be on the side lines looking at others builds.

Also want to thank Fran Hall for developing such an awesome car.

My car arrived without any real problems, other than a small chip in the front splitter. The driver admitted it was his fault and would have to pay out of his pocket to get it fixed, but I am doing this for the fun and experience of the build, so I will repair and paint the splitter at some point.

Mannix Automotive is next to me in our business park condo, and those guys have been looking forward to the car arriving almost as much as I have. They helped unload and get it in the shop. After we stared at it from almost every angle, it was time to start removing some of the body.

Attachments

• DSC00710_zpsdiqy8zeq.jpg
    DSC00710_zpsdiqy8zeq.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 992
  • IMG_2578_zpsqx8fkfqi.jpg
    IMG_2578_zpsqx8fkfqi.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 955
  • DSC00714_zpsojjmak1n.jpg
    DSC00714_zpsojjmak1n.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 1,072
  • IMG_2586_zpslrosepu3.jpg
    IMG_2586_zpslrosepu3.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 982
While I was waiting for the car to arrive, I built some wheel dollys and two body carts. I had no idea what dimensions to make the carts. Just used some of the measurements from other cars. The front fit with little modification, having a horizontal support contact under the headlight boxes where there is some vertical support. I tied the sides together where there were locator pins, as you can see just ahead of the wheel well. The rear made contact where there was, again, adjacent vertical support. The carts are on casters, and high enough to be able to work on them when it is time for paint prep.

Attachments

• DSC00730_zpsazojmorg.jpg
    DSC00730_zpsazojmorg.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 694
  • DSC00729_zps4fyrgi0i.jpg
    DSC00729_zps4fyrgi0i.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 690
  • DSC00728_zpsyq4azy7t.jpg
    DSC00728_zpsyq4azy7t.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 677
  • DSC00732_zpsn5ohajzt.jpg
    DSC00732_zpsn5ohajzt.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 833
  • DSC00733_zpscgm9uf0z.jpg
    DSC00733_zpscgm9uf0z.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 609
  • DSC00731_zpsxldypf2f.jpg
    DSC00731_zpsxldypf2f.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 680
The rear clam also fit rather well, with minor modifications to the body cart. We wanted to limit the spread of the body panels, and there is a groove in the mating body panel that the clam fits into, so we used two pieces of wood to make the "groove" in the cart. Keeping the body shape the same as it was on the car was the priority. The support areas contacted the rear clam only where there are adjacent vertical body material.

Attachments

• DSC00734_zpseaeavpwi.jpg
    DSC00734_zpseaeavpwi.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 701
  • DSC00735_zps5spfthpf.jpg
    DSC00735_zps5spfthpf.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 618
  • DSC00736_zpstp9knrkz.jpg
    DSC00736_zpstp9knrkz.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 600
  • DSC00739_zpsdgvvdi5o.jpg
    DSC00739_zpsdgvvdi5o.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 572
  • DSC00742_zpsxrgapzlr.jpg
    DSC00742_zpsxrgapzlr.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 566
  • IMG_2599_zpsuxrskorb.jpg
    IMG_2599_zpsuxrskorb.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 628
After the carts were made, it was time to use the little I beam hoist that I put in to get the carts and the body parts up to the loft I use as a storage area. As I remove parts, tires, etc., they will go up to the loft until needed. Keeps the main floor clear.

Attachments

• DSC00746_zps02xlknln.jpg
    DSC00746_zps02xlknln.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 750
  • IMG_2590_zpsngttu4aj.jpg
    IMG_2590_zpsngttu4aj.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 731
  • DSC00745_zps6cflpvtf.jpg
    DSC00745_zps6cflpvtf.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 731
With some of the body removed, it was time to put the car up on the hoist and look around. The car is so low, I had to use a jack to lift the car enough to get the hoist arms underneath to the areas on the car that will support the lift. Some photos show the awesome suspension, engine and transaxle mounts. The motor looks just as I was hoping it would look. This is going to be a street car. I hope to take it on the Hot Rod Magazine Power Tour. It will look great.

To get this manifold to fit, we needed some custom throttle body adapters and needed the firewall modified. The boxing in the firewall and adapter can be seen in the close up.

I assembled the pedals and master cylinders, just to fill in some time. I am leaving for a month for family (grandchildren's birthdays) and overseas travel (kayaking and hiking in Greece), but will be back in October to get back at it.

As others have mentioned, please feel free to add any comments or errors you see I might be making. This is my first time doing anything like this. I worked on my 1971 Ford Pinto to keep I running and my 1977 Corvette to keep the costs low, bit that was back in college. Now I am retired and getting back in it with this project. I welcome your comments and suggestions.

Attachments

• DSC00747_zps7kknvpyz.jpg
    DSC00747_zps7kknvpyz.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 925
  • DSC00741_zpstbzzjaa1.jpg
    DSC00741_zpstbzzjaa1.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 1,111
  • IMG_2593_zpsqotxmepu.jpg
    IMG_2593_zpsqotxmepu.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 896
  • IMG_2592_zpsfrhxhjxf.jpg
    IMG_2592_zpsfrhxhjxf.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 904
  • IMG_2594_zpsnw4l9rg6.jpg
    IMG_2594_zpsnw4l9rg6.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 910
  • IMG_2595_zpscjegeppp.jpg
    IMG_2595_zpscjegeppp.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 822
Mark,
I saw your car in Fran's shop a few weeks ago when I picked mine up. Really impressive. I'm sure you will have a great time getting it finished up and on the road.

Back