Paint protection Film

Apologies for cross-posting but no response in the "All GT40" subsection, so thought I'd try in here:

I'm wondering if anyone has experience of using PPF on their GT40, and whether anyone can recommend any particular company in the UK. Have you found it necessary, have you just covered the front clip, or elsewhere as well?

I'm getting a new SPF next year, I would guess with the low ride height that the front might take a bit of a hammering?

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris,
I had PPF added to mine immediately after I had it painted. The areas I had covered were:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
P><P><FONT size=3><FONT face=Calibri><FONT color=black>It was done by a local company (ffice:smarttags
<st1:place w:st="on">Norfolk</st1:place></st1:City>), who had to generate the templates of my car, as it isn’t on the general database for film cutters<o:p></o:p>

Regards,<o:p></o:p>
Andy<o:p></o:p>

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Chris:

I had 3M protection film put on my car. I placed it in all the same areas as Andy, but I also put two small circles on the edge by the fuel caps so when the fuel caps are open they do not scratch the paint that they rest on. I also put film along the entire length of my bottom sills on both sides. From just underneath the car up to the "Ford" stripe. I think anyone who buys a new car should spend the money to do this. I just passed 12,000 miles and don't have a nick anywhere on my car. If you look very closely you can see where the film stops, but otherwise you don't even notice it.

Chris, congratulations on your purchase. The pic below is of my car and where I cut patterns for and installed the 3M Pro Series PPF myself. The solid red areas are what I feel are mandatory and the dash as optional, but recommended. I have about 3000 miles on mine since late Aug including driving through some heavy downpours so I kept an eye on where the water/dirt splatters along the sill and rear clam areas before committing to a specific pattern. At least on mine, the areas that get blasted the most are the front sill area immediately behind the front tires and the rear sill/clam area. So much so that I will be applying a second "sacrificial" layer in the lower rear rocker/sill. Word of caution: If you do plan to remove the top layer at a later time, you will need to first apply a few coats of wax before applying the "sacrificial" PPF layer or it will permanently bond to the bottom film defeating its purpose. Those front Avons will let go of pebbles at a pretty high muzzle velocity!

Another thing to consider is track use. If you have decals in that lower sill area, the sticky tires will eject hot molten rubber and you'll eventually have to clean it off. Most cleaners aggressive enough can remove the ink on the decals so consider protective film to go over these, too. That's why I extended my PPF over the sill stripe and flag emblem...

Aside from the obvious nose protection areas noted earlier. I have decided to cover all of the access panel over the winter. I find myself removing and replacing this piece quite often and I think in the long run the PPF will keep it looking consistent vs covering up to the lip and smaller pieces cut around the DZUS fasteners.

Attachments

• IMG_0266.JPG
    IMG_0266.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 340
Thanks very much for the replies. I going to contact a local company who install XPEL PPF, and are also G-Techniq approved, and see what they have to say. I might show them your photo Tom, very useful!
Cheers
Chris

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Mine is covered in each of those areas in addition to having a 1" wide piece around each fender lip top to bottom. It bends around the outer edge and goes all the way to the inner edge. IMO that is where most of the chipping will occur when running sticky tires like the Avons. I've done this on all my cars where so far it has been effective.

Has anyone done the windshield film? I don't drive in traffic much and always hang back when I do but would still like to protect.

Mike,
While at SEMA last week I did look into the optically clear PPF for windshields and found some were quite affordable, especially if it's DIY. Although I doubt there will be a pre-cut PPF out there for the various GT-40 windshields, it shouldn't be that hard to make your own pattern first before cutting the film from a 6 foot roll. Installing it the traditional way should be easy compared to dealing with the compound curves on other parts of the body.

I did get two tiny nicks on my windshield during the first 500 miles on E-470, south of 285 when they were repaving that stretch of highway. Replacing a windshield is something I do not want to do for a long time. I think the damage incurred from the removal would require respraying the spider!

Hi Cobrajet,

I, too, have been looking for a clear plastic windshield protector. Do you mind sharing the names of the products and/or manufacturers you mentioned finding at the SEMA show?

The 3M paint protection film on my bodywork works well, and I'd like to avoid stone chips on my windshield glass.

Thanks,
Jack

Back