GT40 new build - Sources?

PaulProe

Supporter
Were I to tackle a new GT40 build, what are my options for kits, assuming I want a kit and not a roller:

• RCR 40
  • Tornado
  • GT Forte
  • Others?

I am in the central US (Saint Louis) and any foreign option is complicated with freight and packaging, (and remote customer support?)

Any suggestions on where I should concentrate my search. Anyone in the US have a semi-completed kit?

Thanks

Paul Proefrock

Go with the RCR40 without hesitation! Make a visit to the facility and bring your checkbook.
You will be impressed!

Also be sure to scratch GT Forte OFF your list. He practically disappeared after he was paid.

Joe

I have a Tornado and I am pleased with the quality and completeness of the parts and I don't regret my decision.

I think you should consider how long the company has been in business. I also think it is important to be able to buy every part required to build the car from one source; otherwise you will spend a lot of time hunting for parts that might not fit together. Check their websites to see if they can provide every part for the car or better yet could supply a rolling chassis. Of course buying a rolling chassis is a different issue than building your own.

The second question is the support after the sale and the cooperation in answering questions. Unless you are an overly competent engineer (or even then) you will have questions. It should be a partnership for success and they should be invested in helping you build a good product.

This forum is a great place to answer these issues. Best wishes and we look forward to your project.

Bob Woods
Tornado GT40 in Texas

Paul
Investigate how many 'kits' are never finished. Even 'rollers' are sometimes never finished. If you have to fabricate vs assemble you can be in for a lengthy build as you may know. I bought an ERA roller that had been assembled but not finished. It took several months to go through the car an correct errors. Then it went to Olthoffs to check my work and a body off dissemble to repaint. Study the build very close and ask other members who have built their cars. Some have very detail builds on this site. GOOD luck with your choice.

Back