The season starts soon.

I know nothing about Porsche drivetrains but wondered if one could fit in an air-cooled flat 6 from the 911? 917s are right up there with me but have never considered one as I imagined the expense of running the proper flat 12 would make it an unrealistic proposition.

Yes, you could very easily! Graham's car has an air cooled flat 6 in it, I am putting a 3.4ltr Direct Injection flat 6 in mine (from a Cayman S)and transaxle too. I think with an air cooled engine you'd be looking at using a G50 transaxle.
You could fit any engine in to be honest as there is a lot of room
I know of someone who is planning on putting a BMW M5 engine in his 917…!! That'll certainly be an interesting ride!!

As my 917K is an outright race car, and in order to comply to "historic" type regulations in various series I have to run an aircooled Porsche engine. Mine is a "breathed upon" 3.6 ltr (964) engine and mated to a 915 gearbox for lightness. The G50 type are way heavier, and weight, or lack of, is everything in racing, especially with the 917, and the last place I want extra weight is on the tail end. Having to run silencers for most meetings does not help its balance, although I do remove the dog before a meeting !!!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_9475.jpg
    IMG_9475.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 236
Back