McCopy mk 5

Hi Russ, instead of a balance tube, have you thought about a nice cross over pipe from burns stainless, that's what I used and made plumbing a lot easier.

cheers john

John
Thanks, but with the way I cross the pipes over the gear box to get some length, it would not appear possible but will have a look at it.
Cheers

Attachments

• rear irs 1.jpg
    rear irs 1.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 561
Hi, just a little bit of progress with the fuel tank in place. Now that my front wheels have arrived, I have started out with the front suspension, I am using Toyota Lite Ace front hubs and upright which has a nice bolt on (wide) bottom mount. I have spent hours making the jib asymmetrical so that they are both the same. The bottom mounting plate started out as a piece of 4mm RHS and after much chopping you can see whats left. The main parts have been tack welded for a trial fit and appear fine. This car will run 8" x 15`s front and 9" x 15`s rear. All my other parts,shocks, springs etc and trani are still somewhere on their way from the States and my rears rims are coming from England so slow progress.
Cheers

Attachments

• DSCF3708.jpg
    DSCF3708.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 490
  • DSCF3705.jpg
    DSCF3705.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 538
  • DSCF3706.jpg
    DSCF3706.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 559
Mike
Good spotting
Its actually a very rare NEW ZEALAND species custom made from Dowel wood, It has disposable in linus shaftus properties that save your bushes.
Just a simple solution that makes alignment easy.
Cheers
Russell

Mike
Good spotting
Its actually a very rare NEW ZEALAND species custom made from Dowel wood, It has disposable in linus shaftus properties that save your bushes.
Just a simple solution that makes alignment easy.
Cheers
Russell

Russell, I think most americans will be too befuddled from Trumpus Majora to realise what you just explained so clearly to them!

A good idea Russell, I have some aluminum ones a machinist buddy made me. For fixturing while welding (don't like the smell of the rubber ones burning. Smells like money going up in smoke LOL)

Jac, I will try and not put the wood on you for my next question.
I have been trying to find a replacement Toyota 1uz front sump pan with no luck so far so was planning on doing further mods to this already modified sump.
Basically I was thinking of dropping a 100mm to 150mm `tube` thru the bottom opposite the sump plug and to the same depth of the stock sump. The oil pick up would sit inside this sump inside a sump! Whats your thoughts thanks.
This modified sump has about 500 to 750mls less volume which I was going to compensate for with an oil cooler and possibly an accusump.
Cheers

Attachments

• DSCF3704.jpg
    DSCF3704.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 465
  • DSCF3703.jpg
    DSCF3703.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 428
Russell, why not just slice off that 'mod' approx 1" down from pan rail and make up a box pan along the lines of the dwg attached.
Or you could fit a 3 stage dry sump pump ( 2 scav & 1 pressure ) and use that pan as is. Possibly do away with cooler and lose the accusump in the process.

Attachments

• russell pan.jpg
    russell pan.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 345
Jac
I do prefer the chop and replace facet but was trying to avoid to much welding which could / will cause distortion. I suppose I could get a bit of suitable plate and bolt the existing pan `frame` down before I did the welding, that would help I am sure.
Not keen on the dry sump bit for it as its a `road car`.
On a different note, we have just been to `Gibbs Farm` where he has some very large sculptures.....there is a wall made from 50mm thick Corten steel...its 258mtrs long and 12 mtrs tall, curved and made from 56 individual panels that are set in the ground with a perfect 2mm gap and are not joined. They are each separately rolled and shaped to form a continuous sinuous winding wall that even Trump would be proud of. There is over a million dollars in steel let along forming and shipping from Germany twice! as it was not to spec first time.
Very impressive and I will post some pics later.
Cheers

On TRS I see some pics of #5 at the Mclaren Taupo meeting Russell, is that you driving? Also did TVNZ do a story on the 'Gibbs Farm?, seem to remember the sculpture/wall.

Jac
No that`s the new owners nephew, its the first time he has run the car since I sold it some 4 years ago. He has spent some considerable effort in sourcing inlet manifolds to suit Del Orto carbs and revert it back from the Holley that I sold it with. I was supposed to be with them doing a double act but Chemo got in the way.
Fortunately we got round 3, dose 2 completed today some 2 weeks late due to no imune.
So far so good.
Cheers

Attachments

• DSCN1698.jpg
    DSCN1698.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 449
  • DSCN1704.jpg
    DSCN1704.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 410
Well I have been chasing a standard Toyota 1uz front sump for ages now and despite 3 people saying they had one, nothing has resulted so today I got busy and made a new suction pipe and gauze and enlarged the bottom of the sump to accommodate, coat of paint and it will look the part.
I will down load the pics later as its not working at the moment.
Cheers

Spent the day striping the headers that came with my 1UZ as they were not suitable for my car nor much else as nobody wanted to buy them. They had never been used but had surface rust and I had coated them with fisholene, great rust stopper but sticky horrible stuff to clean off.
Managed to use all the old stuff and only buy 1 new u bend, so now have 1 bundle of snakes ready to fit the collector and turn left into the muffler. Then all I have to do is copy the same onto the other side.
Pretty happy with the results.
Cheers

Attachments

• DSCN1801.jpg
    DSCN1801.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 410
  • DSCN1802.jpg
    DSCN1802.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 423
  • DSCN1803.jpg
    DSCN1803.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 451
  • DSCN1804.jpg
    DSCN1804.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 425
What was your engine used in? I see a lot of oil pans on ebay. But they all refer to the model name they are for. Or are you satisfied with the pan you've made?

Mike
Yes thanks, basically there are front, mid and rear sumps with different pickups for each so needing both sump and pick up, I made them both. What sort of money do they ask?
Regards
Russell

There are variations in the upper alloy oil pan section as well as the lower steel pan.

Attachments

• 1uz-2uz-oilpans 005 (Medium).jpg
    1uz-2uz-oilpans 005 (Medium).jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 386
Back