213.1 KB · Views: 631
  • IMG_0022.jpg
    IMG_0022.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 569
  • IMG_0018.jpg
    IMG_0018.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 600
Your all very polite.
Isn't there something you want to tell me?
Some changes to be made before the body is fitted.
Thanks Lee!

Hi Bob,
Look like:
- Reservoirs mounted too high ?
- Radiator mounted upside down (looks like the drain at the n/s top)?
Great build, keep up the good work
Rgds
Andy

Hi Andy. Thanks for that. Yes the brake reservoir has to come down slightly. I haven't cut the bracket down yet. It will end up the same height as the clutch cylinder which is ok. Well spotted!
The radiator is, I think, ok apart from the "top" hose. Most 40 radiators dont have a top hose but Bob Jones bought one that has! Anyway Lee Dawson pointed out that there's no way I can fit the nostril panel with the hose the way I fitted it. Bloody obvious (now it's been pointed out)! Easy sorted just a bit embarrassing.

Ok, I think I've got it now.
Hoses should miss the nostril panel and I've lowered the fluid reservoir.

Attachments

• IMG_0037.jpg
    IMG_0037.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 578
  • IMG_0038.jpg
    IMG_0038.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 593
Thanks Daniel.
Well that didn't take long I'm busted!
It's vinyl wrap.
It'll protect the panels while I build and if I need to I can just strip it off, paint, polish or wrap again.
Bought some off eBay and it worked fine.
The finish I chose was plain carbon fibre.
There are loads of finishes out there including patterned carbon fibre and chrome!
It's all over YouTube. Here's one example.

Perfect Job TeckWrap Red Matte Metallic Full Wrap by Vinil Masters Russia - YouTube

Fitted the fuel pumps and been doing a bit of wiring.

Attachments

• IMG_0337.jpg
    IMG_0337.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 564
  • IMG_0317.jpg
    IMG_0317.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 610
  • IMG_0326.jpg
    IMG_0326.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 580

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Bob

Looking good.

How thick a metal are the rear suspension mount points? Compared to my DAX they look thin.

Do doubt more knowledgeable people on here will confirm if they are beefy enough.

Ian

Bob

Looking good.

How thick a metal are the rear suspension mount points? Compared to my DAX they look thin.

Do doubt more knowledgeable people on here will confirm if they are beefy enough.

Ian

They are 3mm Ian. Your right compared to a lot of others they do look thin but then again, compared to some earlier cars, so is the chassis box section. I "think" they are the same as Tornado. I'm more concerned that I didn't allow for castor when I welded them on. Perhaps an area for some"development"!

That's looking good Bob, nice to see the progress.

Thanks Nick.
Wish I'd started building a forty before reaching my late sixties.
Laid up with disc problems again.
Back not brake!
Took the picture of the wiring like that because I knew I wouldn't be doing any more for a few days.

Thanks Nick, sorry I didn't make the meeting "again"!
How's it going?
Registration?

Regards Bob.

I didn't make it either :( , registration is interesting! we now have to fill in form V627/1( Built up vehicle report ) as well as V55/4 ( application for first vehicle tax and registration of a new motor vehicle.)

It does not seem to mention needing to fill in V627/1 anywhere and also upon reading it. everything points to the form being for a rebuilt car. Still we will be one step ahead when it comes to your turn in a few months :)

I didn't make it either :( , registration is interesting! we now have to fill in form V627/1( Built up vehicle report ) as well as V55/4 ( application for first vehicle tax and registration of a new motor vehicle.)

It does not seem to mention needing to fill in V627/1 anywhere and also upon reading it. everything points to the form being for a rebuilt car. Still we will be one step ahead when it comes to your turn in a few months :)

Found this on the web and your right it doesn't seem applicable to you mate.
Perhaps someone else could chip in?
You certainly don't want the second option!

"Built using parts of an already registered vehicle (age related registration)

To qualify for an age related registration, the vehicle must have been built using a combination of new components and components from a single donor vehicle. The major components (engine, chassis, axles etc.) used from the donor vehicle are given a points value which must add up to at least 8 in order to get an age related registration. If it doesn't, then you will be allocated with a Q registration."

This page .... Paul's Kit Car Pages - Vehicle Registration

Found this on the web and your right it doesn't seem applicable to you mate.
Perhaps someone else could chip in?
You certainly don't want the second option!

"Built using parts of an already registered vehicle (age related registration)

To qualify for an age related registration, the vehicle must have been built using a combination of new components and components from a single donor vehicle. The major components (engine, chassis, axles etc.) used from the donor vehicle are given a points value which must add up to at least 8 in order to get an age related registration. If it doesn't, then you will be allocated with a Q registration."

This page .... Paul's Kit Car Pages - Vehicle Registration

Yep that 2nd option is my biggest concern, apart from getting it running right :eek: I talked to DVLA about it and they were adamant it needed to be completed. I have stressed that the only 2nd hand item on the car is the block and you are allowed one 2nd hand item to get a new 2017 registration.

On the plus side this is me ; Built using all new components (current registration)

"To qualify for a current registration, the vehicle must have been built using all new components, with one exception, the engine. If the vehicle was built with a used engine, a "certificate of newness" should be supplied stating that the engine has been rebuilt to "as new" condition. Receipts for all major components must be provided at the time of registration."

Certificate of newness from SGT sent in, I have receipts for everything...literally :) and Dan Winkworth has been giving me a lot of useful advice he has just registered his SGT and had to fill in the same form as well. Seems to be a new thing, and to be fair DVLA have been very helpful so far and answered my queries on it really promptly, so hopefully just worrying about nothing, and it's just a process we have to go through.

Last edited:
You guys that do this truly amaze me. I wouldn't even want to think what it would look like if I tried something like this.

Awesome looking job. Keep 'er going.

Back