Making Brackets?

Never knew that about plasma and cutting aluminum, some good info! For kicks, I'll have to ask around and see if there's any local places that does water jet. I'm sure at least one place exists around my area and could come in handy at some point.

Oh man, on steel I've done flame cutting and talk about some tasty cuts! It works and is nice on thick steel but lots of work to make it look good. Cutting the tail light holes on the bumper to flush mount them on the trailer I built was a PITA to clean up. Well worth the effort though. Went through about 1.5 blades on the chop saw building that thing, was kind of shocked how long it actually lasted through all that 1/4" steel.

I got a belt/disc sander combo for SLC brackets, just need to get some hardware to mount it down to the new work benches. Next weekend I'll get a table top band saw, power supply and soldering station. My Aircraft Spurce catalog was shipped earlier this week, so I need to order some aluminum angle soon too and start stocking up on miscellaneous SS hardware. If the 16 week schedule is still accurate, i'm 4 week out of it being finished!

Budget is often a consideration for me with tools * depending on what it is, it's not always better to try and save money but I've been happy with everything from Grizzly so far. I'd say they are on the more affordable side (not U.S. made) but my direct experience is their customer service set them apart. Very nice to deal with. Replaced a lathe at no cost and were happy to do so.

Shop Tools and Machinery at Grizzly.com

I've been going back and forth about polishing stuff and if I'm going to or not and doing it now or later. I'm leaning towards doing it since on days I don't have a lot of time to invest, I can always polish something.

I'm with you on that Scott, budget is a consideration for sure with me. I hate to go cheap on some stuff, but unless I need precision or will be using it an awful lot, it's all about budget. It's kind of crazy that some HF tools are the same price or more as better known brands. I'll have to get a Grizzly catalog. I've heard the name before, but never looked into them.

I've actually had very good luck with HF (the toy store LOL) tools & I use them hard. The thing is today even the "name brands" are being made overseas (China). So you're paying for the name but the tools are only about the same quality (forget Craftsman any more). Home Depot carries some pretty good tools at reasonable prices too. I go cheap on tools so I can spend it on stuff for the car LOL

Having built 5 cars now, my most used tool would be a disc grinder, one of 7!. I have all manner of set ups, 1mm stainless cut off wheel 125mm dia. cut offs do amazing work. Then there is grinding and sanding of different grades, have multi tools means that you just grab the correct one..no changing heads or blades. I also have a band saw / cut off saw that is often pressed into service along with a dril press and lathe, I rarely ever use the jig saw, then there are drills etc and strong magnets to hold things in place.There are also 3 types of welders with Mig the most used.
The beer fridge appears to get the least use!
Cheers
Russell

The plasma works great for cutting Alum. but the one we use is $200K and uses different gases for different materials. Like I said its not cheap.

Figured I'd go ahead and make an order from Aircraft Spruce to get some aluminum here to have on hand when I need it. Can anyone recommend what size and thickness of pieces I should get? How about how long of a piece for some 2"x2"x1/8" angle?

I also get all my metal from Onlinemetals.com. They have pretty good prices but I'm driving distance to the their warehouse (also aircraft spruce), so I save a ton that way. I've also saved a bunch by price matching there. I usually use midweststeelsupply.com for the prices to match (check they're daily deal). They're very cheap for certain things. Also Onlinemetals almost always is offering 15% off or more with codes.

Here's a current code DCD7B for 20% off done today. If you can find a place locally that price matches...thats your place though since shipping is what makes this stuff so expensive.

Last edited:
That's what I'm a little concerned with, shipping. But it is what it is, I will need it and want quality materials. I'm trying to determine some pieces/sheets I should be and what size? Just want something to get started with so I have it on hand when it's needed. I don't mind having extra either, I'll always find a way to use it on future projects for sure.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Don't buy anything until you need it. Aircraft Spruce will get you material in a few days.

Get a hot glue gun and a bunch of cardboard. Mock up everything until you are really happy with the results. Otherwise a couple of years from now you will have a huge pile of first and second try's in a pile in the corner of your garage.

An idea for you. You can make 90 degree brackets from 2X4 or even 2X6 square tubing. That way you can make differing length arms by cutting out the side you want and keeping the rest for the next time. I have several 5 gallon buckets full of pieces of scrap. That way I have that little 2 inch piece of aluminum when I need it.

Get a sawsall and some bi metal blades. I think I have used my borsch sawsall more than any other tool with the exception of a 3/8 variable speed drill. One good 110vac plug in model will always be ready to go. I have sworn off cordless tools. They always go dead right in the middle of a project.

The money you save with a few simple tools will pay for themselves many time over. The one thing I wish I had was a good drill press. I want a nice slow speed so I can drill big diameter holes in steel. You can't do that with a hand drill and most cheep drill presses run to fast even on the slowest speed. I keep looking on Craig's list but most of the time it's worn out junk.

1. 3/8 variable speed plug in hand drill
2. saws all. Get a full size one.
3. 12 inch disk sander
4. Nice big vice bolted to a heavy table.
5. Drill press if you get a good one. If not get a 1/2 inch variable speed hand drill.

Not many things you can't do with that list and a good pile of garage sale hand tools.

That makes me feel better about my selection and with the help of this forum for sure. I've been collecting alot of this stuff over past 2.5yrs, some of it like belt/disc sander and band saw was pretty recent

- Cord and cordless 3/8" variable speed drills
- Saws-all, big and with a cord
- Only 6" disc sander, but same machine also has a 4" belt sander too.
- 6" vice on opposite end of the shop, plan to get another 6" for SLC side because I'm OCD.
- Band saw. I can't wait to use this.
- 3 dedicated 4x8 work benches
- Drill press, variable speed. It is a cheap one, but should suffice (I hope) for aluminum. I
got to use it last weekend for 1st time on some aluminum and really wished I'd bought
one sooner...so much easier.
- 13.7v, 6 amp, power supply (both sides of shop)
- Soldering station (both sides of shop)
- Basic air tools
- Bench grinder
- tap & die set
- torque wrench
- All 1/4, 3/8, 1/2" hand tools, as well as pliers, vice grips, etc, etc.... All the basic stuff

Stuff I still want/need to get:
- 6" vise for SLC side
- pneumatic pop rivet gun
- Lots of Loc-Tite
- Lots of anti-seize
- Extra 10-32 & 1/4"-20 taps
- Cutting fluid for taps and drill
- QuickJack lift (not required, but think it'll make my life easier in long run)
- Engine hoist

When I was younger my grandparents had only the basic stuff which allowed us (brother and I) to do alot of things, but it also made us waste alot of time in hindsight. Them letting us do, build, create, modify whatever we wanted had a huge effect on both of us. I distinctly remember being around elementary age and dreaming of building my own car from the ground up. Back then it was building a Lamborghini kit car and of course I realized how much of a waste and time and money that'd been which eventually led me to the GTM (and to start saving my money) and the negative stuff I've read about the bodywork on them led me to the SLC. I guess dreams do come true eventually, I'm probably a little more excited about building my SLC as I am driving the car itself. :) That being said, it's kind of overwhelming just thinking about all the hours I'll be putting in, but I'll love almost every minute of it!

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I already have some chipboard for my templates and already know I wished I'd bought this stuff WAY sooner!

I think I'm going to order some 2x2x1/8 angle, a small sheet of 1/8" and 1/4" as well. I know it won't go to waste, but it'll give me something on hand when I need. :)

If you are making brackets as well, I'd recommend getting some Q cutters and the same size dimple dies to remove material that is not required and then strength

Scott have you tried Industrial Metal Supply in Irvine? I think they have one in LA too. I use Schorr Metal in Anaheim too. But IM is a bit cheaper I think.

If you are making brackets as well, I'd recommend getting some Q cutters and the same size dimple dies to remove material that is not required and then strength

Sorry for the likely dumb question, what are Q cutters? I did a search, but not sure if it's showing me the right thing... Dimple dies I do know though. :)

Scott have you tried Industrial Metal Supply in Irvine? I think they have one in LA too. I use Schorr Metal in Anaheim too. But IM is a bit cheaper I think.

I did look at IM awhile back but I haven't used them because they use a quote system instead of listing prices which is like an extra step for me (lazy and impatient I guess). I did check their prices on 1.5" DOM though when I made a purchase a couple months ago and midwest steel handily beat their price (and online metals matched it). But I see they are open part day on Sat...So I might have to change my mind about those quotes. Thanks.

Btw online metals is actualy ThyssenKrupp. The warehouse is giant. What that means is they actually have nearly everything in stock too.

Sorry for the likely dumb question, what are Q cutters? I did a search, but not sure if it's showing me the right thing... Dimple dies I do know though. :)

Probably referring to knock out punches...they have a wavy edge.

You Need This Tool - Episode 61 | Punch Flare Dies and Hydraulic Punch Kit - YouTube

Last edited:
Thanks for that, now I see and agree would make a nice​ and strong panel.

I think Amazon will be my best friend for this venture. I got all the suggested SS hardware from McMaster-Carr and didn't realize how little $700 worth of stuff looks like when organized, lol

Back