GT40s.com Paddock Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Obstructionist? Almost one year and no hearings for Merrick Garland.

'Ever hear of the BIDEN Rule? 'Ever heard SCHUMER parrot Biden's Rule? I'll bet you HAVE. If not - GOOGLE both.

Your side INSISTED in the past (when a GOP was in the White House) that no SCOTUS nominee should be put forth in a presidential election year. 'Shouldn't be done 'til AFTER the election, your side said. And yet here you are being "indignant" about Garland not being considered in the last year of Obama's admin calling it "obstructionist"!!! Do as we SAY and not as we DO? That's referred to as "hypocrisy", innit?

Now, as I've previously mentioned, I am NOT going to waste endless time countering your every claim/charge/accusation/position...or your never ending 'spin' on my counterpoints. I am tired of doing that...
:chug:

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Your side INSISTED in the past (when a GOP was in the White House) that no SCOTUS nominee should be put forth in a presidential election year. 'Shouldn't be done 'til AFTER the election, your side said.

You bring up a valid issue, Larry...but I have to admit I do not remember that. Can you give me a bit more information? I'd be the first to say that what is good for the goose is good for the gander, so I'm not so worried about what you view as "obstructionist" now because I've seen your side of the fence be equally obstructionist...but the issue of nominees to the SCOTUS is an incredibly important "privelege" for a sitting president. I was not aware that there was any long standing practice of prohibition on either side about this issue.

I'm asking in all sincerity...please post a bit more information about this. I want to learn as much as I can about it. If this is SOP, well, then, so be it and the left can just cry all they want...if it is just an isolated incident, well, then that would be different.

Hoping to hear back from you! Thanks!

Doug

Impeachment is not going to happen, get over it! I get that you don't like Trump, given where you live, you can''t like Trump. I certainly don't like Obama, but I didn't piss and moan about it for 8 years. I'm more concerned about America than who I think should be POTUS. While not liking Obama, I still wanted the best for America, I still want the best, so get over it, just sit there, or help.

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
Impeachment is not going to happen, get over it! I get that you don't like Trump, given where you live, you can''t like Trump. I certainly don't like Obama, but I didn't piss and moan about it for 8 years. I'm more concerned about America than who I think should be POTUS. While not liking Obama, I still wanted the best for America, I still want the best, so get over it, just sit there, or help.

I think Trump may well have committed some impeachable acts, but you are probably right, Al...given the current makeup of congress it would be very difficult for an impeachment to be successful.

I agree with you...whether or not I like our current POTUS, I want for AMERICA to succeed. I do believe Trump can lead us to greater financial prosperity, he has definitely shown he has "economic chops", so to speak. There are probably differences between private industry and government that he'll need to learn about those in's and out's, but I am hopeful our country as a whole, not just the wealthy, can flourish.

As for his military leadership...I must admit I've been disappointed so far, but he's just now getting through his first 100 days. I see a bit of a renegade in him and don't like that he is so secretive...thought we had gotten past that as a nation...but I also understand not telegraphing our military moves.

The things I think he needs to re-evaluate are his nepotism and his refusal to acknowledge his mistakes, no matter how minor or major. We're all human and to be so egocentric as to deny our mistakes will not endear him to the majority of the population, IMHO.

Where I think he's going to have trouble is holding on to the Republican majority in congress...and that's not a bad thing. At one time during B.O.'s tenure I believed that having congress controlled by a different party than was in the White House would mean that they had to work together...now I realize it just provides impetus for gridlock. If Trump is the master of "the deal", as we've been led to believe, maybe having to deal with a different party controlling congress might lead to new, greater cooperation between the two parties :idea: ?

As do you, I remain hopeful for America, no matter who is in the White House...but also remain skeptical enough to recognize when there is no reason to support our leadership...case in point...the mess in North Korea. That idiot is just as self-absorbed as is Trump and putting the two into a boxing ring is the way this ought to be settled, not over "Nukes and Breakfast".

Cheers, Al!

Doug

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
...Can you give me a bit more information? I'd be the first to say that what is good for the goose is good for the gander ... was not aware that there was any long standing practice of prohibition on either side about this issue...If this is SOP, well, then, so be it and the left can just cry all they want...

Joe Biden himself mentions there's been a long standing "practice of the majority of (Bush's) predecessors" of not naming a nominee until AFTER the November election.

View/listen to the vids in their entirety OR just FF as indicated:

FF to 01:18...02:15...03:05...04:05

Biden From ’92: President Should 'Not Name A Nominee Until After The November Election' - YouTube

FF to 00:28...and again to 02:29

2007 SCHUMER CALLING TO BLOCK SUPREME COURT JUSTICE NOMINEE - YouTube

If memory serves, there have been darned few SCOTUS justices nominated/confirmed in the last year of an administration.

Last edited:

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks, Larry! I'll look at all those things you listed.

Cheers!

Doug

Larry, I'm tired of it too. We're polar opposites, so we can agree to disagree as the saying goes.

But the fact of the matter is that the "Biden Rule" didn't include holding the position open indefinitely, as Senator Cruz was on record as saying. And the timing was a bit different too. Biden was speaking about within 6 months of an election. Garland was stonewalled for 10+ months.

Al, plenty of people pissed and moaned about Obama for 8 years. In fact, Trump keeps blaming everything on Obama and Clinton in his first 4 months. He should "get over it."

So far Trump looks incompetent, potentially treasonous and without any moral bearing.

A FISA warrant was issued and the FBI is investigating the whole enchilada and personally I'm hoping they find something BIG, because I want him out of office. The sooner, the better.

The guy can't even execute a simple handshake without looking like Forrest Gump.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
But the fact of the matter is that the "Biden Rule" didn't include holding the position open indefinitely, as Senator Cruz was on record as saying. And the timing was a bit different too. Biden was speaking about within 6 months of an election. Garland was stonewalled for 10+ months.

You're again parsing, nuancing and spinning certain comments made in the vid in order to justify your interpretation of same. No one said anything about holding the position open "indefinitely". E.g.: Ten months is not an "indefinite" length of time. It's ten months. That's a 'finite' amount of time.

In any event, Biden himself said the practice of the majority of past presidents has been to 'pass' on nominating a SCOTUS Justice in an election year until after the November elections. Replay the vid as many times as you wish...he'll say the same thing every time! :nice:

You're again parsing, nuancing and spinning certain comments made in the vid in order to justify your interpretation of same. No one said anything about holding the position open "indefinitely". E.g.: Ten months is not an "indefinite" length of time. It's ten months. That's a 'finite' amount of time.

In any event, Biden himself said the practice of the majority of past presidents has been to 'pass' on nominating a SCOTUS Justice in an election year until after the November elections. Replay the vid as many times as you wish...he'll say the same thing every time! :nice:

I'm not "parsing, nuancing or spinning squat." I didn't watch the video, don't care to. You could post links and embed videos all day long for me and I won't watch it. :thumbsdown:

But Cruz and McCain are on record as saying that the seat could remain open indefinitely, if Hillary Clinton is elected, which is BEYOND the 10 months left in Obama's Presidency. Admit or don't, I really don't care.

I just can't wait for Trump to meet the next head of state and say "I've got to go pee." :laugh:

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
...Cruz and McCain are on record as saying that the seat could remain open indefinitely...

...which it actually could 'constitutionally' if you think about it. But, neither of them said they thought it SHOULD or it WOULD...did they?

Once again; Biden himself said the practice of the majority of past presidents has been to 'pass' on nominating a SCOTUS Justice in an election year until after the November elections. That is the nuts and bolts of "The Biden Rule". And nominating a 'justice in an election year was all the discussion was about/focused on in either vid. Buuut, there's no way for you to know that 'cause you refuse to watch 'em!

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
So far Trump looks incompetent, potentially treasonous and without any moral bearing.

Well, Rod, it's hard to argue with any of that...however, I still maintain that even Trump cannot hold a candle to John Boehner in regards to treasonous actions. Boehner was the most egregious example of obstructionism I have ever experienced in my (admittedly) short period of political interest.

This is just one definition of "treason":

"...the action of betraying someone or something"

In my opinion, Boehner not only betrayed the citizens he was elected to represent (he was the primary factor in stonewalling many issues from which his constituents would have benefitted), but he committed treason against the entire population of the United States when he created such an obstructionist movement that the government was for all intents and purposes shut down during his "resistance" to Obama. I doubt he will ever be tried, nor do I suspect Trump will ever be tried on charges of treason (although we CAN dream, can't we?), but I would certainly (at this point...I am sincerely hoping things will get better) say "Shame on them!".

Really, though, as displeasant as I have found Trump so far, I do like some of the things he has done. I have maintained for years that we were being "invaded from the south" because I work in the field of Special Education and it is impossible to count the number of severely handicapped youngsters I have helped through our Special Education programs...many of those young individuals were the children of undocumented immigrants who came to the U.S. specifically to take advantage of those educational services, which for all intents and purposes are non-existent in Mexico. It was not unusual for multiple families to live in the same household and therefore qualifed for food stamps as well as those expensive educational services, which by law must be provided without charge. Trump has increased the number of border guards and by all accounts the tidal wave of undocumented immigrants has slowed considerably, so I say good to that. He did all of that by creating new job opportunities without having to build an uber-expensive wall, too...and, I might add, a wall WE in America will have to pay for and for which Trump will NEVER be able to make Mexico pay, regardless of how many times he says he will.

So...good and bad...yin and yang....we'll have to endure it either way and I think it's a great opportunity to learn from our "differently opinionated" friends here on this forum though these discussions.

...at least we're not trying to kill each other :thumbsup:

Cheers!

Doug

Doug. seriously, treasonous? Beghazi was treasonous, making up lies about it was treasonous, putting classified documents on a public email was treasonous. As far as impeachment goes, don't you think that all of the Dems in the congress and senate that arer frothing at the mouth would do that in a heartbeat if there were something? Do you think that Trump just calls a tomahawk strike and naval movement without first consulting a host of people? I'm quite happy that he isn't drawing red lines in the sand making us look like whimpy assholes to the world. 3 months Doug, give it a chance. You sure sound like you want him to fail, every day as a matter of fact. He's done a lot of good things in 3 months, Larry listed part of them.

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
Doug. seriously, treasonous?...3 months Doug, give it a chance. You sure sound like you want him to fail, every day as a matter of fact. He's done a lot of good things in 3 months, Larry listed part of them.

Al, Benghazi is history, as is B.O., and no amount of angst over what did happen and what didn't happen is going to help us move forward...I prefer to focus on our nation's future, which as I see it lies in great peril. I've said it many times...I truly want Trump to succeed, because if he succeeds our whole country succeeds. I have posted positive comments about some of his actions...did you not read my complimentary post about how the increase in border guards resulting from Trump's initiative has reduced illegal immigration?

Sure, I certainly do have strong reservations about many of Trump's other actions, but who among us (well, other than Larry in his blinded fury about liberals in general) hasn't recognized both good and not-so-good in all of our Presidents? It is just human nature...none of us are perfect, but we all have some good in us.

So...my serious concerns remain about his nepotism (which has been taboo since the days of JFK and RFK...yes, it was wrong even when the POTUS was a liberal!!!), his lack of honesty/ethics/transparency, his refusal to follow what might be considered "tradition" regarding releasing his tax returns while at the same time refusing to follow tradition and divest himself of his private enterprises (yeah, they are in a trust...but the only beneficiary of the trust is...wait for it...it's coming...Donald Trump :eek:), believing it is OK to delay the confirmation PROCESS involving a nominee for SCOTUS and invoking "tradition" when challenged, his very distasteful nature of egocentricity...but those issues ARE real and they are the consequences of Trump's own choices....and he CAN make other choices in these and many other areas, and needs to (IMHO) if he is going to gain the trust of the MAJORITY of the American population.

I do remain hopeful, Al...it is just my human nature...but I am not blinded like some on the "Radical Right".

We have him for 4 years, I think...unless the public grows tired of him and the Repubs suffer significant losses in mid-term elections. I do not think impeachment will be successful before then, but if the current trends I see on the shows with the political "talking heads" continue Trump could be in a very precarious situation if the public "pendulum" swings left...a distinct possibility!

Oh...and about those "good things" Larry posted...I'm not convinced that the majority of us American citizens believe they are all "good"...but I concede that Larry does!

In the meantime I shall continue to support him when he does right (border guards) and criticize him when he does wrong (nepotism, etc). We all knew this was going to be a bumpy ride when the election results were such a surprise...hang on, Al !!!

Cheers!

Doug

Last edited:

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Al, plenty of people pissed and moaned about Obama for 8 years. In fact, Trump keeps blaming everything on Obama and Clinton in his first 4 months. He should "get over it."

LOL! I just can't let that one go! I just can't!

Uuuuuh......................WHOM did the entire Obama Administration, the DNC, and every lib in the country blame for EVERY problem/failure/bad econ stat/bad foreign policy outcome, etc., etc., etc., 24/7/365 for the entire duration of Obama's eight year tenure?????????

BUSH!!!

Do as we say and not as we do yet again, right, Rod?! :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4:

Al, Benghazi is history, as is B.O., and no amount of angst over what did happen and what didn't happen is going to help us move forward...I prefer to focus on our nation's future, which as I see it lies in great peril. I've said it many times...I truly want Trump to succeed, because if he succeeds our whole country succeeds. I have posted positive comments about some of his actions...did you not read my complimentary post about how the increase in border guards resulting from Trump's initiative has reduced illegal immigration?

Sure, I certainly do have strong reservations about many of Trump's other actions, but who among us (well, other than Larry in his blinded fury about liberals in general) hasn't recognized both good and not-so-good in all of our Presidents? It is just human nature...none of us are perfect, but we all have some good in us.

So...my serious concerns remain about his nepotism (which has been taboo since the days of JFK and RFK...yes, it was wrong even when the POTUS was a liberal!!!), his lack of honesty/ethics/transparency, his refusal to follow what might be considered "tradition" regarding releasing his tax returns while at the same time refusing to follow tradition and divest himself of his private enterprises (yeah, they are in a trust...but the only beneficiary of the trust is...wait for it...it's coming...Donald Trump :eek:), believing it is OK to delay the confirmation PROCESS involving a nominee for SCOTUS and invoking "tradition" when challenged, his very distasteful nature of egocentricity...but those issues ARE real and they are the consequences of Trump's own choices....and he CAN make other choices in these and many other areas, and needs to (IMHO) if he is going to gain the trust of the MAJORITY of the American population.

I do remain hopeful, Al...it is just my human nature...but I am not blinded like some on the "Radical Right".

We have him for 4 years, I think...unless the public grows tired of him and the Repubs suffer significant losses in mid-term elections. I do not think impeachment will be successful before then, but if the current trends I see on the shows with the political "talking heads" continue Trump could be in a very precarious situation if the public "pendulum" swings left...a distinct possibility!

Oh...and about those "good things" Larry posted...I'm not convinced that the majority of us American citizens believe they are all "good"...but I concede that Larry does!

In the meantime I shall continue to support him when he does right (border guards) and criticize him when he does wrong (nepotism, etc). We all knew this was going to be a bumpy ride when the election results were such a surprise...hang on, Al !!!

Cheers!

Doug
UUUH, can you say Bobby Kennedy? Not one liberal was concerned then, and neither was I, as long as the job got done. You are pissing and moaning Doug. :)

Cheers!

Doug
UUUH, can you say Bobby Kennedy? Not one liberal was concerned then, and neither was I, as long as the job got done. You are pissing and moaning Doug. Talk to me after a year. :)

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
UUUH, can you say Bobby Kennedy? Not one liberal was concerned then, and neither was I, as long as the job got done. You are pissing and moaning Doug. Talk to me after a year. :)

Nepotism in politics is wrong, no matter the political orientation, Al...JFK was incredibly popular, but his choice of his brother was one of his mistakes. Do you remember the "Bay of Pigs" fiasco?

It's going to be a rough year, Al...but we are all going to have to endure it, that's for sure. Onward...thru the fog!!

Cheers, Al!

Doug

Well Keith,

I am not American, but in answer to your question I came across this, bit long, no doubt the wrong fact checker for some, ;) but interesting.

My own opinion is he is looking more and more, all mouth no trousers, and fine words butter no parsnips. :)

Fact Checker
Analysis

Trump’s claim that ‘no administration has accomplished more in the first 90 days
President Trump falsely claimed that "no administration has accomplished more in the first 90 days," during a speech in Wisconsin on April 18. The Post's Fact Checker found that other presidents, most notably Franklin D. Roosevelt, accomplished more than he has so far. (The Washington Post)

“No administration has accomplished more in the first 90 days.”
— President Trump, remarks in Kenosha, Wis., April 18, 2017

The first 100 days of a presidency mark a rather artificial milestone, but one by which all presidents have been measured since Franklin D. Roosevelt’s whirlwind of action when he took office in the midst of the Great Depression. President Trump appears especially conscious of this marker. During the presidential campaign, he even issued a list of 60 promises that he said he would fulfill in his first 100 days.

We’ve been tracking Trump’s promises, and so far he has not even taken action on 60 percent of the promises — and he’s broken five of them, such as his pledge to label China as a currency manipulator.

Yet here’s the president declaring that he has accomplished more in his first 90 days than any previous president. So how does he stack up?

The Facts

There are various ways to measure presidential performance, such as number of laws passed. But of course not every law is created equally, so you have to parse the data. The same goes for executive orders and memorandums.
We sought an explanation from the White House for Trump’s claim but did not get an answer. However, White House press secretary Sean Spicer on April 19 was asked what single piece of legislation the president was most proud of in his first 100 days.
Spicer did not really answer the question but instead responded with a laundry list that he said demonstrated a “very robust agenda of activity,” such as reversing a dozen regulations set by President Barack Obama and the Senate confirmation of Supreme Court Justice Neil M. Gorsuch. He also noted a drop in illegal immigration at the southern border and “a lot of activity that we’ve been very proud to see in America manufacturing and job creation” — claims we have fact-checked in the past.

Frankly, this is rather thin gruel if you are going to compare yourself to Roosevelt or other notable presidents. So let’s go through the data.
There were 76 bills signed into law under Roosevelt in the first 100 days, compared with 28 (with a week to go) under Trump. “This is higher than any first-term 100 days since 1949 (55 bills signed), but less than all first terms from 1901-1949 except for 1909,” said John Frendreis, a political science professor at Loyola University in Chicago who co-wrote a well-regarded study of legislative output in the first 100 days from 1897 to 1995.

Thirteen of the Trump bills disapprove of major regulations put in place by Obama, which signifies a reversal of action, not new action — though the agency is barred from ever repromulgating the rule in question or anything similar without congressional approval. Other bills include such actions — what Frendreis called “minor or housekeeping bills” — as naming a Veterans Affairs outpatient clinic in Pago Pago in American Samoa or creating a waiver to allow Defense Secretary Jim Mattis to be appointed even though he had recently served in the military.

Moreover, none of Trump’s bills can be considered “major” legislation according to political science standards, whereas at least nine of Roosevelt’s bills met that standard. Historians H.W. Brands of the University of Texas at Austin and David M. Kennedy of Stanford University count 15 major bills in FDR’s first 100 days, including some that remain in place.
“In this regard, Trump’s tenure has been less impressive, with no major pieces of legislation passed,” Frendreis said. “By contrast, the stimulus package was passed during Obama’s first 100 days” — actually, within Obama’s first 30 days.

Frendreis noted that the 73rd Congress was highly unusual because of the crisis atmosphere and the huge Democratic majorities, giving Roosevelt an opportunity to make a quick impact.

“Some of FDR’s initiatives were submitted to Congress in the morning and back on his desk that very same day for signatures,” said Max J. Skidmore, a political science professor at the University of Missouri in Kansas City. “Hardly anything other than the most extreme of emergencies could bring that about.”

“FDR’s first session of Congress was a special session he himself had called,” Brands said. “He also had the advantage of preparation, having been governor of New York for four years, three of them Depression years. So he knew what he wanted, what was popular and what might work. Trump is a novice.”

As for executive actions, as of April 19 Trump had issued 24 executive orders, 22 presidential memorandums and 20 proclamations. One of his executive orders, imposing a travel ban from certain Muslim-majority countries, was a redo of an earlier executive order that had been blocked in the courts. But the new one has also been stymied by court challenges and thus has not been implemented.

To some extent, it’s difficult to compare executive orders and memorandums among presidents, because only executive orders are numbered, but it’s somewhat arbitrary how something is labeled. (We explored this at length in 2014.) In any case, Trump’s first 90 days of executive actions do not stand out as especially unusual.

Meanwhile, Trump is woefully behind in presidential appointments, especially in naming people for Senate-confirmed posts.

In contrast to many other presidents, Trump has also not led on legislation but mostly taken his cue from Congress.

At this point, President George W. Bush was well ahead in ensuring passage of a major tax cut that he had pressed for in the election campaign. He proposed comprehensive tax legislation on Feb. 9, about three weeks after taking office, and a $1.35 trillion tax cut was passed by both houses of Congress by May 26, less than a month after Bush’s first 100 days was completed. Trump has yet to release a tax plan — and his bid to repeal and replace Obama’s signature health-care law was blocked in the House.

“Trump’s ‘skinny’ budget is not a strong start on the budget issue, even for a first-term president,” Frendreis said, adding that “my own professional judgment is that he is off to a slower-than-normal start.”

Few presidents achieve much on foreign policy in their first 100 days, and Trump is no exception. Trump has signaled a tougher posture toward North Korea and Iran and launched a volley of cruise missiles to punish Syria for a chemical-weapons attack. But it’s too early to tell whether his policies will result in positive outcomes.

“Trump actually is unusual for his first 100 days, but for a reason opposite of what he said,” said Skidmore, author of “Presidential Performance: A Comprehensive Review.” “Not only has he accomplished almost nothing, but rather his initiatives (executive orders stayed by courts, a major legislative proposal failing even to come to a vote when his party controls both houses, etc.) have notoriously been unsuccessful.”

“FDR definitely outclasses Trump,” Brands said. “Fifteen major bills through Congress, to zero for Trump.”

The Pinocchio Test

It’s rather silly for any president to suggest that his first 100 days somehow topped Roosevelt’s achievement. Lyndon B. Johnson, Ronald Reagan and Obama are credited with significant legislative achievements early in their first terms, but much of their success generally came after the first 100 days. Trump would be well advised to not make such a big deal about this because the available evidence shows that he in no way comes close to matching FDR’s record.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back