Rear Fog light IVA.

Hi all has any body fitted the rear fog light gadget that turns off the fog light once you turn your light off. And don't allow the fog light to be left on .

I'm fitting one now ........ And wanted to know how you got on with it ..
It became part of the IVA list in 2013.

Can you let me know please ...
John.

Hi all has any body fitted the rear fog light gadget that turns off the fog light once you turn your light off. And don't allow the fog light to be left on .

I'm fitting one now ........ And wanted to know how you got on with it ..
It became part of the IVA list in 2013.

Can you let me know please ...
John.

Hi John,

Have you bought the CBS box of tricks, I did mine with relays and it passed that part.

Nick

Hi Nick Yes m8 I got the box of tricks ... All fitted now ... I also fitted an indicator buzzer . Just so I can hear it over the engine noise .. Fitting my starter button today .

John

Hi John,
I know it's a bit late, but the attached is how to met the IVA requirements with a relay and a momentary switch. The only disavantage of this wiring is that you need to switch off the headlamps for the fog lamp relay to drop out. Good enough for the test though!
Keep up the good work
Rgds,
Andy

Attachments

• GT40 - Wiring IVA fog light mod.pdf
    43.5 KB · Views: 376
Hi John,
I know it's a bit late, but the attached is how to met the IVA requirements with a relay and a momentary switch. The only disavantage of this wiring is that you need to switch off the headlamps for the fog lamp relay to drop out. Good enough for the test though!
Keep up the good work
Rgds,
Andy

Hi Andy,

I did similar for mine but put an extra on off switch so I could turn the rear fog light on and off without needing to turn the lights off.

Just remember if your tester checks your fog light is working, then accidentally turns off the on / off second switch before checking the tell light, it will be off and you will get a fail on your sheet ...... don't ask me how I know :( .

Ed McClements

Supporter
This has been discussed on all the usual forums - Pistonheads, Westfield owners, Locostbuilders etc - and debunked. There was a change in the 2013 IVA, but only to add some additional options for the operation of the fog light, not to make it mandatory. It's not helped by the column layout of the IVA manual...I'll try and make it clearer below:-

Rear fog lamps;
1. They must be operational
2. The correct number must be fitted to the vehicle (Table 1)
3. They must only emit a red light
4. The rear fog lamp(s) must only illuminate when dipped beam, main beam or front fog lamps are lit (see alternatives in Notes 3 and 4).
5. They must be positioned correctly to meet
a) the positional requirements of Table 1
b) the angles of visibility requirements of Table 1
6. Must be fitted with an operational “tell-tale” lamp (non-flashing) visible from the driving position
7. Either the switch or tell tale must clearly indicate that operation relates to the Rear Fog lights (see Note 1).
8. Must not be operated by a brake control
9. Fitted so that the reflector is facing squarely to the rear
10. An optional rear fog lamp must form a matched pair with the obligatory lamp.
11. An optional rear fog lamp must only operate with the obligatory rear fog lamp
12. All rear fog lamps must display an “e” or “E” mark with a “B” or “F” (see Note 2)

Notes
Note 1: This may be achieved by an unlit pictogram (see section 33) or appropriate words, the tell tale may be any colour provided it cannot be confused with any other tell tale.
Note 2: This does not apply to mass produced vehicles where there is evidence of either FMVSS or CMVSS approval:

• when the fog lamp has been produced by conversion of a brake lamp,
    or
    evidence that the lamp gives suitable intensity has been provided.
    or
    In the case of North American produced vehicles the lamp gives equal intensity to the stop lamps.
Note 3: front fog lamps may be illuminated with the side lamps only.
Note 4: Either of the following scenarios will also be considered acceptable:
  • The rear fog lamp(s) may continue to operate until the position lamps are switched off, and the rear fog lamp(s) must then remain off until deliberately switched on again or,
    An audible warning, additional to the mandatory tell-tale light, must be activated if the ignition is switched off or the ignition key is withdrawn and the driver's door is opened, whether the lamps in (RS4) are on or off, whilst the rear fog lamp switch is in the "on" position.

Basically what the new wording tries to do with Notes 3 & 4 is describe the foglight operation which is built-in to many CANBUS-equipped vehicles. If one of these vehicles is brought into the UK as a personal import and has to pass IVA it will be able to do so under the optional modes of operation in these notes. If you're building your own vehicle then it's business as usual - have the rear foglight only come on if dipped/main are already on (main point 4).

VOSA have offered the following clarification by e-mail to several clubs / enquiries:-

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good Morning ****

We understand that there is some confusion over Note 4 in section 28 regarding the operation of rear fog lamps, the intention of Note 4 was to allow these options but not mandate them.

The requirement for the rear fog lamps are as follows:
The rear fog lamp(s) must only illuminate when dipped beam, main beam or front fog lamps are lit,

But the other conditions listed in the Note 4 will also be accepted if manufactured / wired up that way,

The manual is currently been amended and will clarify the operation of the rear fog lamps and the accepted alternatives, we have already issued a memo to all IVA Examiners with the correct information so VOSA Station should now be applying the correct standard.

Hopefully this will resolve your concern

For all the requirements regarding IVA can be found in the Inspection Manual which is free to download from Vehicle approval - GOV.UK

many thanks

Approvals Policy Engineer
Approvals Scheme Management
Scheme Management and External Relations

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope this helps anyone who happens upon this thread.

Back