Something is missing

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Will take another couple weeks as I am not in Colorado until late next week. Can't wait!

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Dave. Nice progress. The guys did a great job. Hopefully will be on the road in the next week or two.

2017070101.jpg

2017070102.jpg

2017070103.jpg

Last edited:
Mike,
I think you'll like that stainless exhaust. The pipes seem to cool down quickly after shutdown and they'll brown up nicely in no time. I also used a thinner wall stainless for my water pipes vs the supplied aluminum.

Mike, maybe I missed it in the thread earlier but do you have a list of all the things you did since the beginning of the project? I remember the paint a few years ago and then I thought you tore the entire car down as well as doing the new engine and exhaust. Just curious.

Thanks
Kevin

Mike, I noticed that your exhaust cradle appears to have a flat surface. Just a heads up...after time the pipe and bracket could start pounding each other or floating around more than you'd like. I used the curved Go-Kart exhaust cradles on mine. I believe they can handle up to 4" pipes and they come with a stiff rubber mounting washer for additional damping. You could also line the cradle with a piece of exhaust wrap for a pad.

I see Pegasus Auto Racing sells the Kart air intake/exhaust cradles: Kart Air Box Mount Cradle only, with springs - Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies

Looking forward to hearing it run....

Attachments

• KartCradle_comp.jpg
    KartCradle_comp.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 265

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Mike, maybe I missed it in the thread earlier but do you have a list of all the things you did since the beginning of the project? I remember the paint a few years ago and then I thought you tore the entire car down as well as doing the new engine and exhaust. Just curious.

Thanks
Kevin
I have tried to post everything I've done in this thread Kevin. The list is long enough I've probably forgotten and need to go back and read from the beginning.

Tom, yours look very nice. In my old setup I went through a couple different design iterations. The first setup was rigid and ended up cracking in no time. We went back and redesigned them only this time with cradles and springs. I did not have any problems after that. I will say that even with cradles, the megaphones really only made contact in one or two points in the cradle. Nothing is perfectly round. The lesson I took was give the system room to move. The flat bracket is 6061 1/8" aluminum so it is stout but also should have some give to it. The springs gather the pipes in a single location so I don't expect them to move much. Hopefully just enough to prevent stress cracking. We shall see how it holds up and address if flaws are found. I do like the rubber biscuits in those units you use. Anything that provides some give I think makes it more durable.

What are those muffler looking devices I think I am seeing???? :lipsrsealed:
we had cradles

Kevin, his car's not original anymore. :)

Mike, agree....rigid is not the way to go. Too much expansion/contraction, twist, vibration, resonance, and so on, so it has to float around a bit. A doubled up piece of exhaust wrap underneath where the pipe meets the cradle can be used should you need to go that route later. I have over 3000 miles on mine and nothing has moved or shown any stress....stainless is stout!

Mufflers? Well, they just look like mufflers... The beauty of the V-band clamp is that we can quickly swap pipes/mufflers/megaphones in just a few minutes. That was my intent, and that you can index the pipes by rotating them so they're spaced the way you want them.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
There will be audio soon I promise in all it's ticket getting, neighborhood ruining, fire spitting, unrestrained glory :)

Looks great, must sound great.
I have a similar set up; straight pipes. Sound is brutal!
Question, why did you choose for straigt instead of megaphone pipes?

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Engine has not ran except on dyno. I do not know yet what tone it will have with the new exhaust. I chose straight pipes because most of the originals I have seen run them and there is a tone I am after that I think is predominantly a product of primary/collector/megaphone size, along with engine cubes, cam selection, and flywheel weight. We shall see how close I have gotten. This car most closely replicates the tone I am after.

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fwwiIn9CdUE" allowfullscreen="" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0"></iframe>
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mkYeTqQVA-I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back