the Steinard MK3 takes shape

As much as I love the sound of the megaphones, unfortunately they wont make the 90 Db noise limit at most tracks, so I invested in a couple of stainless mufflers,* still sounds tough but a lot quieter and deeper tone, and they have a removable silencer that can be fitted to quieten them down a tad more.

hopefully they will keep the powers that be happy.
cheers John

finally after 2 of us slogged for 4 days the front clip is ready for primer.

now the fun begins as we start on the rear clip.
oh what joys.
cheers John

Question for the masses, front wheel arch vents, do I really need them or not, as i'd hate to cut a hole it the top of the guards if they're not all that necessary.
cheers John

I think the question do you need them for the look, the performance advantage is so minimal it wouldn't be noticed for the track time you do. Me ? I'm about the detail for authentic appearance so I would do it. That's my 2 cents worth.

Cheers Leon.

Question for the masses, front wheel arch vents, do I really need them or not, as i'd hate to cut a hole it the top of the guards if they're not all that necessary.
cheers John

Hi John,

I have no empirical data on whether they work or not because I haven't run without them, but I do know my front brakes get pretty hot when racing. I've made a few running changes to keep front brake temperature under control. I've got Wilwood 6 pots on 355 x 32 rotors front and back with equal bias and same master cylinders, cooling air picked up from 4 inch ducts on the chin spoiler (hard to see in the second photo) applied directly to the centre of the rotor. So basically anything I can do to evacuate hot air from that area I would do. Put them in I reckon.

Cheers, Andrew

andrewrobertson-albums-mclaren-m1b-replica-build-photos-picture1389-p1010263.jpg

andrewrobertson-albums-mclaren-m1b-replica-build-photos-picture1678-1511140032-2-compressed.jpg

John
For my penny`s worth, put them in. The detail just adds more to the car and any clearance of heat from the front is important. On a hot day with the radiator also throwing heat at you its good to allow it to escape.
Looking good...wait till you have some colour then you will really get excited.
Cheers
Russell

Attachments

• DSCN0289.jpg
    DSCN0289.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 305

Glenn M

Supporter
As much as I love the sound of the megaphones, unfortunately they wont make the 90 Db noise limit at most tracks, so I invested in a couple of stainless mufflers,* still sounds tough but a lot quieter and deeper tone, and they have a removable silencer that can be fitted to quieten them down a tad more.

hopefully they will keep the powers that be happy.
cheers John

90db! Wow! That is tough! Is that static or drive-by?

I turned up to a trackday once thinking it was a 105db (static) day but the limit that day was 98db. doh! That was a struggle! No way I could make 90db.

Just had a few pics arrive from Leon, trans is all finished and on its way yeh ha
feast your eyes on this master piece, and this time all bench tested and everything working as it should.

all I need now are a couple of axles
cheers John

Very Very nice.
All we need to do now is decode the letters
MSR more speed required
MSR my sport racer
MSR Mclaren sport racer
Top marks on a marathon effort.
Russell

Was sitting out on the patio last night with a coffe trying to figure out how to get a 3" brake ducting hose to slip fit onto a 5" dia D shaped inlet in the nose, then I had a brain wave, so out to the shed I sneaked , found some left over hi density foam I had and cut 3 blocks and glued them together and stuck them in the vice over night.
then this morning armed with one of the wifes prize steak knives I proceeded to cut it into shape to fit in the D shaped opening on the nose then tapered it down to a 3" dia round to take the ducting tube.
so my mold looked like this.

so I then fitted that into the opening from the back wrapped it in cling wrap the glassed over the whole thing including the D shaped opening, then when it was almost off I removed it and sat it outside in the sun to go off, gave it a clean up and a coat of paint an walla we have one slide on brake duct adapter
so heres the opening in the nose

and here's the adapter sitting in place

and now I can use a cut down of the same mold to make two ducts to fit on the upright to feed the rotor.
some days it just all falls into place, not often just some days lol :pepper:
cheers John

Last edited:
Hi Dave well I certainly wont tell her if you wont.
and yep its nice to have a win once in a while aye.

cheers John

the big day at last, first up was bolt the bell housing to the tranny, a small mod was need in the way of a smidge ground off one rib on the side plate to clear the starter and all good.
then came the big job, and if you've ever fitted a road ranger to a truck youll know exactly what it was like, because its got a triple plate clutch it had to be perfectly in line before it would budge, but once we got it all lined up on a couple of dowls in popped in like a willy in a gumboot here's a shot of the starter its bloody tight but it fits.

and drive shafts look like they will be spot on level at ride height bonus.

will have to alter the exhaust and a couple of other minor changes but all in all very happy chappy

cheers John

Geezz!! that starter just fits in there. But it looks great with the uprights can't wait to see it on the ground with it ready to run. Its been worth the effort.

Cheers Leon.

Back