GT40s.com Paddock Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Judging by the position of the damage on both ships, the cargo ship had right of way over Fitzgerald...

'Agreed...if the ships had both been holding steady courses before the collision. However, it's supposedly been reported (I know not by who) that the freighter made a "sudden"(?! A relative term!) last moment course change into the Fitz. Similarly, the captain of the freighter has claimed the Fitz made the sudden course change into his ship...after he (the freighter's captain) had previously flashed collision warning signals to the Fitz.

For any of that to be true, looking at the aftermath photos, it would appear at the time of the collision both vessels would have to have been 'sailing' parallel to each other on the same course with the Fitz probably 'overtaking' the freighter...and doing so pretty darned close-in. (IMHO there's really no need to pass close-in out on the open seas...if in fact that's where they were at the time. [I don't know exactly where they were].) I don't recall my "Dutton's Nautical Navigation" well enough to know whether or not doing so (passing close-in on the open seas) is an absolute 'no-no'...but it isn't the brightest idea.

It's also been reported that the freighter was on 'autopilot', BUT, 'had been making odd course changes. Really??? Why? How? Regardless, if that HAD been the case, the Fitz observing that and yet still overtaking 'close-in' would have been nuts.

Having had both "the deck and the con" on a U.S. Navy destroyer myself, and knowing the 'standard procedures' that are supposed to be followed to avoid collisions, I cannot imagine how this came to be (especially TODAY with all the latest satnav gear, etc., etc.). There's an awful lot more info I'd need to have in order to figure it all out...but then, I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree.

Tonkin is their battle cry!

...and Pres. Johnson(D) is the boy who coined it.

Last edited:

Keith

Thanks Larry, that is a very informed response, unlike so many other statements on the internet by so-called 'experts'.

I look forward to your informed opinions as and when mate :thumbsup:

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Not much traffic on here recently...not a big surprise the way the Trump admin is imploding!

The entire world must be laughing at us...:drunk:

Nothing to cheer about here...:lipsrsealed:

Doug

It's all a big success Doug. No chaos. That's fake news. Everything is humming like a poorly tuned set of Weber carbs. :thumbsup:

I don't even know where to start, but here's a polling statistic that I heard this week. Roughly 50% of all Trump supporters believe he won the popular vote. :lol:

That says it all there for me.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I had a plan.

It was to post on here about my daily (not almost daily, but daily) embarrassment that I suffer as a US citizen at the hands of our highest elected and appointed government officials. This is not 30% of the time, not 60%, not even 95% of the time, but 100% of the time (in days). At no other previous time have I witness a saturation of complete embecility as I have with the current administration's leader (and some leaders), and that goes back a long time. Never ever before have I been convinced that every word out of this administration is an example of any lack of knowledge, of hyperbole, and just plain lying. I rack my mind trying to remember when the truth was actually spoken by this administration's leader. At the beginning, I laughingly told my wife that Spicer wouldn't last 3 months with what he had to deal with. I was wrong, it was about 6 months.

I was thinking (imagining instead) that I could come up with some observations and comments about our leader that any self-described rational, level headed, critical thinking human being would agree with. And then (no surprise) I went back through various and random pages of this forum, and a slow darkness came over me as I became more and more convinced that there are many that frequent this forum, that would still drink "the" cool-aid, even if Trump left a steaming pile in the middle of the punch bowl, arguing (and actually believing) that it was instead some magical flavoring additive.

So I decided that it wasn't worth my time, and decided to return back to the sensible part of this wonderful site, that deals with a more logical, and obviously the more technical (yes, science does actually have a welcomed place in it) automotive topics.

For the record, my post above was BEFORE the news of the change in Chief of Staff this afternoon.

Terry, I recommend watching the Late Show with Stephen Colbert. His monologue is spot on target for me and he's genuinely funny. Watching both him as well as Seth Myers in his "A Closer Look" will get me through the nightmare and abject failure of the nitwit in the White House.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Rod, all of that is good entertainment, and was good comic relief for past leaders that tried to do well and good, but had faults, gaffs, and policies that periodically (key word here) caused serious discussion. Trump and nearly all of his appointees go way beyond that. There is no "periodic" stumble with the current leadership. Comic relief is something that fills the gaps between the normally rational thought and statements of the comedian's targets. With this administration, there hasn't even been periodic sanity, so I'm beyond seeing anything funny about our current national embarrassment, and even more so, the lack of backbone (not completely, but words are one thing...actions are another, and there hasn't been any actions to back up the words) in his party to right the ship. What compounds this "illness" is that there is a large minority of Americans that have no ability to look at him objectively and ask themselves WTF is going on here, and to seriously question his character rather than making excuses for him. Just when you think someone will shut up, quit tweeting, or let things lie, the feces start boiling out again. It never ends.

Last edited:

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
But Hillary was worse! Emails! Benghazi!

NOTHING could be worse than this. Not a left/right issue at all. It's a rational/irrational one.

Scarypooch quit today or got fired. What a saga. Hired, a few days later he's talking about Priebus being a paranoid schizophrenic and Bannon sucking his own cock.

I'd love for the Trumpsters to try and defefnd that. No wait, I wouldn't. Because they will, and it will just sadden me.

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
Guys, here's my take on what happened:

Americans were FED UP with the manner in which our legislative branch had become dysfunctional and decided we needed to shake things up. Political "lifers" were ALL looked at with increasing disdain.

Enter a businessman who is highly skilled in manipulation, but not in people management. He promised to make America great "again", which sounded good but there was no plan to do that, just endless incompetency and manipulation...but the EC elected him, anyway, so here we are in a big mess.

Really, I think Trump has about run his course...we're getting the idea that he likes to stir the pot and then just sit back and watch to see who drowns and who survived. I predict he'll be impeached, but given Trump's inability to manage a staff I suspect he will either resign early or be dumped by voters at the next Presidential election.

He's a flash in the pan, folks...a "knee jerk" reaction by a country who was tired of the liberals' promises, but knew better than to give Conservatives free reign. Within a couple of years he'll be a bad memory and within a couple of decades he'll just be a footnote in our nation's history.

In the meantime, I plan on just sitting back and enjoying the show as the Repubs try to find a way to "control" a renegade (dare I say?) party leader who offers more comic relief than solutions :evil:

Cheers!

Doug

Rod, all of that is good entertainment.

Yep, that's about all it is. NY Post had a cover calling it "Survivor White House." Who will get voted off next? It'll be interesting to see how the new Chief of Staff John Kelly, supposedly an honest high-integrity person will function under someone who's his exact opposite, a dishonest no-integrity person.

What bothers me more is that around 35% of country still loves the guy. And 50% of them think he won the popular vote. What does that say about our country? :shocked:

Everyday there's a new stupidity. If it's not the Boy's Scout speech, or saying he's the 2nd best President behind Lincoln, then it's asking the police to bang a suspect's head when they get into the back of a police car handcuffed. And then it's dictating Don Jr.'s response about the meeting with the Russian lawyer at Trump Tower.

It'll never happen, but I wish he'd just STFU.

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
It'll never happen, but I wish he'd just STFU.

It won't, Rod, because his deranged, egocentric mind will not allow it. He is a compulsive manipulator, plain and simple.

Not gonna happen, not now, not ever, NEVER!

Cheers!

Doug

Not gonna happen, not now, not ever, NEVER!
Cheers!
Doug

My hope is that Mueller and his team of lawyers will find sufficient evidence of a crime or crimes against Trump, the Trump Family and the supporters around him so that he will follow Nixon's path and resign, or be impeached, since I don't see him quitting. Either way, I don't care.

Pence has his flaws too, from a policy perspective, but he's rational and doesn't suffer from all the psychoses that Trump suffers from, since his childhood (according to a biography of him).

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
My hope is that Mueller and his team of lawyers >will find< sufficient >evidence< of a crime or crimes against Trump, the Trump Family and the supporters around him...QUOTE]

'Odd. The way special counsels are supposed to work is to investigate when there IS evidence (not accusations) a crime has been committed and go from there. Whereas in the Russia!, Russia!, RUSSIA! - collusion!, collusion!, COLLUSION! situation, we have a special counsel that's evidently been appointed to search for evidence of a crime to investigate...a special counsel, BTW, whose crew of lawyers largely consists of individuals who've donated to Democrat politicians/campaigns and/or have worked for them.

OTOH, there is a FLOOD of actual evidence - actual evidence - that crimes actually have been committed by Bill & Billary, Wasserman-Shultz and others in that whole crew (including collusion with Russia/Ukraine, obstruction of justice, domestic AND foreign election tampering, pay-to-play, etc.)...but, have we seen/DO we see even so much as a hint of a possibility that there WILL BE a special counsel appointed to look into any/all of that...let alone any prosecution? Uh...nooooo.

What we DO see instead is a special counsel looking for evidence that some actual crime - ANY actual crime - has been committed by Trump and/or his staff...despite the fact that countless Democrat and media ('same thing) blood hounds have been trying to find that evidence for about a YEAR now with no success whatsoever.

But, nope. There's obviously not even so much as a smidgeon of a possibility that the whole "Russia" thing is just a political witch hunt intended to derail the Trump administration. None whatsoever.

BTW, just about a week ago a lib friend of mine told me he has it on good authority the Pope is Jewish.

G'day, y'all.

Last edited:
A Grand Jury! YES! Suck it up buttercup! I love it!

A criminal is a criminal, if there's evidence of criminality, then investigate, whoever it is. If Hillary or Wasserman-Shultz committed crimes, then they should go to jail. There's a Republican House, Senate and President, another investigation of any Democrat should be easy to start. Let's go!

You're presuming, like Fox News, that a lawyer who's contributed to Democratic campaigns (and Republicans too) can't be fair and impartial? Stop, puh-leeze. You must have more than that Fox News nonsense.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
A criminal is a criminal, if there's EVIDENCE OF CRIMINALITY, THEN INVESTIGATE...

Was that not exactly what I said??? That's the way things are SUPPOSED to work. The D.O.J is NOT supposed to be investigating ACCUSATIONS without legit collaborating evidence that seems to confirm them. The D.O.J. is NOT supposed to launch an investigation in the hope of finding evidence that a crime of some unspecific/unknown type HAS been committed somewhere at one time or another by a person or persons unknown.

...while in the meantime, a PILE of actual evidence of 'major league', specific wrongdoing by a whole HOST of specific Democrats both big and small sits gathering dust. No D.O.J. investigations. No grand juries. No media coverage - or interest (surprise, surprise). No nuthun.

'Disgusting...

'Said all I'm gunna say about it. I'm tired of the whole absurd situation. 'Waste of time/energy continuing to bat it back and forth.

Last edited:
Was that not exactly what I said???

Fake news. Let's just say the credibility of your words is low, very low IMO. I'll wait for the results fom Bob Mueller, his team of lawyers and the Grand Jury. Lots there to look at, like banks and a bunch of Trumpettes who met with The Russians.

As for investigating the Clintons, the Republicans have control of all three branches of government. What are they waiting for? Maybe there isn't any evidence, maybe? :dead:

Wow, a pre-dawn no-knock FBI raid at Manafort's home. That can't be good in Trump's world. :gossip:

And then the same day, the National Enquirer, run by a Trump buddy, runs a story attacking Manafort. Curious timing. :shifty:

Sure sounds like the walls are closing in. :dunce:

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
Yeah, he must be aware of the shadows closing in around him, Rod.
...on second thought........he might be too egocentric to even notice :eek:
Soon they'll all be saying "...and he seemed like such a nice old fart!"

Cheers!

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back