McCopy mk 5

I need to bring some bits down from the States so am looking at some extra stuff so questions.
Fuel filters.
I am running a Bosch fuel pump to the 1uz, what micron filter...filters and what is the ideal set up. Ie. tank- filter- pump- surge pot- gauge- fuel rail - return to surge pot- return to tank.
Electronic speedo`s using GPS signal.
What works well.
Cheers Russell

Hi Rus, if your running an in tank hi pres pump you only need a filter before the fuel rail, the good thing about an in tank hp pump is the lack of need for a surge tank etc, it makes the system so much simpler to plumb.
cheers John

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Hi Rus, if your running an in tank hi pres pump you only need a filter before the fuel rail, the good thing about an in tank hp pump is the lack of need for a surge tank etc, it makes the system so much simpler to plumb.
cheers John

I like this idea, but wouldn't some special design of a sump in a tank, including baffles or doors be required to ensure the little remaining fuel stays near the pickup?

After much measuring, guess work and blind hope I chopped the front vertical of the chassis back at an angle to clear the radiator air scoop and the lower frontal area of the McLaren vs GT40. Finally got an extra set of hands around and tried the nose section from my track car on for a test fit. Microns to spare but it fits. Also took patterns for the radiator mount itself as we end up with a max of 300mm height at the back of the radiator so space is critical.
Because I hope to end up building more of these chassis, I have also recorded all my alterations so as to build without drama. Have also completed re manufacture of my front suspension so its away for crack testing. Slowly getting back on the job now that Carol has her chemo behind her as we have got a 4 month `break` before what ever transpires. Have booked a holiday in Australia and will call in and see Johns Mclaren.

Attachments

• DSCN2249.jpg
    DSCN2249.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 346
  • DSCN2250.jpg
    DSCN2250.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 323
  • DSCN2251.jpg
    DSCN2251.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 303
Getting to that stage where you are not sure if you have finished construction, are there any more brackets ? or bits you may have missed. I plan on comparing chassis to see what more could be done.
Meanwhile all suspension parts are off being crack tested because its going to be road registered.
Stripped all surplus parts of the Toyota 1uz and took of the rocker cover to see what sort of condition it may be and was pleasantly surprised at how clean it was with no signs of wear on the cam lobs. Big question now is what colour to paint the rockers.
Once I am completely happy with the chassis, I will get it sand blasted and powder coated and then its time to start assembly.
Cheers

Attachments

• DSCN2273.jpg
    DSCN2273.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 310
  • DSCN2275.jpg
    DSCN2275.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 310
  • DSCN2276.jpg
    DSCN2276.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 334
Wow, that engine looks brand new on the inside, mutch better than mine.
are you going to do any mods on the engine ?

keep up the good work

Thanks Peter,
Yes the motor appears in good condition, the slight mods required to fit the OBIX throttle bodies involves a small grind in the centre and at the end where it gets very close to what looks like a gallery on the side of the head to the right of the cast #24. I plan on doing nothing other than TB`S ,extractors and a Microtech computer. We have the other car going into the `Speedshow` this weekend so its time to put a for sale sign on it.
Cheers

Attachments

• DSCN2281 (2).JPG
    DSCN2281 (2).JPG
    236.6 KB · Views: 344
  • DSCN2282 (2).JPG
    DSCN2282 (2).JPG
    243.7 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
At last its finally time to come off the rotisserie, I have been around and around so many times checking what I have missed out in the way of brackets etc. I plan on getting it sand blasted and then powder coated ready for assembly.
I have finally got the ends for my steering rack shortened and threaded to take the modern style of rod end, as you can see, it started out as a Mk4 Cortina rack and now is hopefully the right length. Its fully adjustable for height and for / aft.
Now its time to start assembly....nice clean work.
Cheers

Attachments

• SSCN2411.JPG
    SSCN2411.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 262
  • SSCN2412.JPG
    SSCN2412.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 265
  • SSCN2413.JPG
    SSCN2413.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 272
  • SSCN2407.JPG
    SSCN2407.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 247
  • SSCN2408.JPG
    SSCN2408.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 278
  • SSCN2410.JPG
    SSCN2410.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 265
Looking good mate, but I tell you what it doesn't matter how many times you go over it, once its powder coated you'll find a couple you missed. with the Brabham I cheated, I completely assembled it, got everything working then In two days I stripped it to a bare chassis and got it powder coated.
cheers John
ps and yep I still missed a couple.

Chassis away being sand blasted and painted so its time sort out some of the bits. The front uprights are Toyota Lit Ace and I have made adapter plates for the Willwood 4 pot calipers. The 10mm plates place the calipers 2mm off set so welded some pads onto the mount area and milled them back to the correct thickness with the mill drill. We end up with 15mm clearance between the caliper and inside of rim. Also got the rear tyres mounted and now need to paint the insides black. Steering rack all assembled and painted.
Cheers

Attachments

• SSCN2427.JPG
    SSCN2427.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 277
  • SSCN2426.JPG
    SSCN2426.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 274
  • SSCN2424.JPG
    SSCN2424.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 229
  • SSCN2425.JPG
    SSCN2425.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:
Reluctantly I have put my 2nd McLaren M8B replica up for sale on NZ TRADE ME Listing number 1389081077 because of our current situation.
Money does not grow on trees and I am privileged to be building a 3rd one for the road.
Having trouble loading pics so will shrink some to post.
Cheers

Happy to say that my McLaren M8B replica has been sold to the Southward Car Museum near Wellington to be set up in a Bruce Mclaren display. Great to be keeping the name and history alive.
I still have my last car under construction, the chassis is being powder coated as we speak.
Cheers

Now that there is some space in the workshop, I can spread out a little. Today I started the assembly stage, hope I can find all the bits!.
Got most of the floor on, thank goodness for the air pop riveter I bought last time. This car will have a lot more panel work to keep out road grime ect. and be finished to a higher standard. Sat the throttle bodies on the motor just for fun, also mounted the alternator and picked up the fly wheel yesterday, chose not to scallop out the outer diameter due to clearance tolerances. Its great to finally be assembling the car now after having probably our best holiday ever in Aussie recently where we caught up with John, M1.
Since advertising the other car, I have had inquiries for a couple of static cars for display so have put those off till next year.
Rather than put a large panel in the guard for the head lights, has anyone fitted the small modern lens into what would basically a tube for each element.
Just thinking ahead.
Cheers
Russell

Attachments

• DSCN2733.JPG
    DSCN2733.JPG
    195.5 KB · Views: 257
  • DSCN2737.JPG
    DSCN2737.JPG
    190.8 KB · Views: 259
  • DSCN2735.JPG
    DSCN2735.JPG
    199.5 KB · Views: 290
  • DSCN2736.JPG
    DSCN2736.JPG
    198.3 KB · Views: 261
  • DSCN2734.JPG
    DSCN2734.JPG
    186.1 KB · Views: 249
An air riveter lucky sod, I keep saying to myself I should buy one but probably to late now as I don't think ill do another, we'll see.
that engine sure looks the part.
cheers John

Back into that smelly stuff again..only seems like yesterday that I was moulding the last car..no disasters this time, thick gel coat with plenty of cure time before layup of the chopped strand matt.
I need to make these lower side panels because they are fixed to the car and need to be fitted after the fuel tank goes in. All my aly panels are away being cut to size, more rivets yeh.
Cheers

Attachments

• DSCN2759.JPG
    DSCN2759.JPG
    187.3 KB · Views: 214
Well big day in the shed today, fitted the balance of the aly floor panels and the drivers side fibre glass body work. The left hand side needs to have the fuel tank installed tomorrow before that fibre glass body work gets fitted.
Starting to get wide now....1820mm at the doors.
Cheers

Attachments

• DSCN2761.JPG
    DSCN2761.JPG
    191.7 KB · Views: 228
  • DSCN2762.JPG
    DSCN2762.JPG
    194.8 KB · Views: 232
  • DSCN2763.JPG
    DSCN2763.JPG
    195.6 KB · Views: 225
  • DSCN2764.JPG