Something is missing

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
2017082000.jpg

2017082001.jpg

2017082002.jpg

Steve

Supporter
Congrats Mike! Glad it was worth it in the end. BTW, how is your oil temp sensor plumbed into your system?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Gorgeous Mike!!!!
Congratulations on getting this stunner back on the road again!

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Randy. It has been a long two years but very much worth it. The 302 pulls very hard on top and it's hard to tell much difference between it and the 427 once it's turning some RPM. The light flywheel makes getting away a little more delicate but after that it is so snappy compared to the 427.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Well done Mike
What great looking countryside you live in.
Car sounds good

What is the next upgrade? Perhaps move the steering wheel to the correct side? :thumbsup::poke::poke::poke:

Just be like me and drive the wheels off it!

Ian

Isn't the first snowstorm in Nederland around the 1st or 2nd week of September? You better driving....
Put this on your calander...FROZEN DEAD GUY DAYS MARCH 9-11, 2018

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Thank you gentleman. At some point I'll get some video from the outside. It sounds pretty good coming out the back. I bit noisy.

I would love to have the steering wheel on the wrong side Ian. If I ever ended up with another GT40 it would be wrong sided steer!

Yes, it could snow almost anytime after Sep 1st but it usually does not well into Oct. I would like to be able to put 500 miles on it before I put it up.

I don't expect any additional changes at this time. It runs very well no stumbles or flat spots. There are no drips or leaks at this point. Fluid temps are all as expected. It does seem like when hitting quick dips in the road at speed the front tire(s) may be making contact with a rib on the front bonnet. I can't see any marks but I have felt it a couple times I think. It looks like there is plenty of material to trim slightly. Possibly swapping out front springs for slightly stiffer units might help as well. I will continue to nut and bolt the entire car after each drive. I have marked nearly all the major hardware with a paint pen to keep an eye on things. I did fail to re-install the nordlocks on the header bolts so will be putting a wrench on them after each drive until end of season when I will re-install properly.

The number of looks one gets driving these cars never ceases to amaze me. I stand by my assertion that the GT40 is the most beautiful car ever made and we are all fortunate to have them!

About time, Mike...I was wondering if you'd get it running before end of summer. Have you thought of purchasing storage at the Vehicle Vault or Man Cave to store your car over the winter so you can drive it on warm winter days?

I was running mine at the Colorado State Patrol track last Saturday with the Shelby American Auto Club for their track day. It would have been a good place to stress test your car and get those temps up. Next SAAC event is at High Plains Raceway in Sept...

For me, the Cobra gets much more attention and thumbs up compared to the GT-40, which I believe most people don't know much about their historical significance.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I spoke both Vehicle Vault and Man Cave some time back. I'm not comfortable leaving keys to the car with them and having them move it when they need to juggle things around. I nearly and should have bought a large unit a couple years back down at Hogback industrial park but did not. I'll figure something out at some point. I don't drive it in the winter just because even on nice days the roadways are still filled with sand and these days, salt.

I doubt I will ever track the car other than some sort of exhibition type session at some place like Road America or Watkins Glen should I ever have an opportunity. It's a garage queen. I raced moto-x at the pro level for many years earlier in life. I've had more broken bones, surgeries, and ambulance rides than most. I'm a golfer and cyclist these days ;)

I'd suggest we meet up for an early a.m. weekend cruise up a canyon one of these days but I'm guessing that you'd be found on the track.

Mike,

I thought that one reason you switched to the SBF was for that wonderful unique sound. Are you happy with the sound quality? Can you tell me the length of each pipe?

Bob Woods

Mike,

I meant the length of the headers from the engine to the collectors. You would want equal length but that might be hard. How close did you get?

Bob Woods

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I'm not comfortable leaving keys to the car with them and having them move it when they need to juggle things around.

No one in their right mind would feel otherwise.

Handing over the key$ just open$ the door to very predictable, major league, unplea$ant con$equence$ befalling your car $ooner or later.

'Risky enough just having to leave your car in a storage building to which other people have access.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
LAgreed Larry I'm not comfortable with that either.

They are near equal length Bob but I don't recall what that length is.

Keith

Great sound Mike and I think you nailed it! I just received delivery of a couple of new Presonus active studio monitors so running your vid was an ideal first test for them. No I didn't hear any tappet noise but there again I'm a bit Mutt n Jeff these days.

I noticed that Larry once again has the dreaded black screen and unless I miss my guess, that is possibly because he views it on iPad and IOS doesn't do Flash. Just a guess mate...

Million dollar question: How does this concept of engine differ in driving experience from the Roush stroker?

Can't speak for Man Cave but the Vehicle Vault car custom garage condos range from 24x24 ($154k) to 40x80 (~$500k). You own your custom garage space so you have full control of your car, and the land it’s on. No land lease. Enjoy the tax benefits and perhaps build some equity.

Back