Hurricane Harvey - Now a Category 4

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I hope you all in the gulf states (particularly Texas) listen to the officials and evacuate when asked....

Stay safe and please check in when you can!

We are approx. 15 miles north of San Antonio, TX. Although we were told to brace for high winds and extensive rain/flooding, we have been spared both. .5" rain so far and max of 45 mph winds. Lots of low water crossings are flooded and roads closed, but in general, we are good. San Antonio is serving as a shelter point for people coming in from the coast. Sat. & yesterday the gulf coast got hammered between Corpus Christi and further northeast. Rockport & Port Aransas on the Padre Island barrier area on the gulf coast (a place we vacation every year) were hit very hard, with 150 mph winds and heavy rain/storm surge. Significant property destruction at the coast from Sat/Sun impact. Fortunately, they had a mandatory evacuation order for the coastal towns (the Mayor of Rockport said that if you violated the order and stayed, you needed to write your name and social security number in permanent marker on your arm so they could identify the body). After the storm surge, the flooding took over. A big problem is that this is an extremely slow storm, moving at only 5 mph, which means it is spending a lot of time over each area, and dumping a lot of water, wind (and a couple dozen hurricanes) on the areas as it travels inland. Fortunately, only one death so far, from a fire in a building that was not evacuated.
Today, the storm has stalled about 50 miles southeast of San Antonio and is dropping 25-30" of rain per day on the area to the area east of the storm as it sweeps water in from the gulf (counterclockwise rotation). Houston is now in a critical flood stage (wind is not much of a problem now), having received a full year's worth of rain in the last 24 hours, and as much as 50" more of rain expected in the next 2 days.
We are sitting tight (and safe) in our area, but the news pictures of the coastal towns and Houston look really bad. Houston people are also now be evacuated to San Antonio. Areas northeast of us (Austin, etc) are getting lots of rain, but I have not heard of any major issues except for rivers overflowing.
Best news is that everyone is working to help the people. Keep praying - its not over yet.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I own a home about 35 miles southwest of Houston. The Brazos River borders the town on the north and east sides. So far everything has been okay where my property is located, but if the Brazos River goes out of its banks that could change. This has been unexpected good luck...but it's not over yet and we are all aware of that.

Here's hoping all of our members in southeast Texas AND their vehicles survive unscathed!

Cheers!

Doug

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Anyone heard from Howard?
Did he not move to Texas from Kalifornia in the last 18 months?

Keep safe guys the news reports show a lot of water around

Ian

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
Anyone heard from Howard?
Did he not move to Texas from Kalifornia in the last 18 months?

Keep safe guys the news reports show a lot of water around

Ian

Howard is in the San Marcos area, IIRC. That is significantly inland, pretty much straight south on I-35 between Austin and San Antonio (closer to Austin). My daughter lives in Austin and she has said that they have had some rain but not enough to cause flooding.

Cheers!

Doug

Keith

Some serious weather there guys, keep safe. People pulling together to get by. Perhaps that's what's needed to get each other talking to each other without rancour these days..

Seems a poor exchange though :(

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Seems a poor exchange though :(

I know right where to find several thousand people who'd unanimously agree with that.

'Saw video coverage of the area wherein the camera zoomed in on a flooded roadway underpass over which was a sign saying "clearance 16'-4"" (or something similar). The surface of the water flooding that underpass was about two feet below that sign.

God only knows how many cars might be submerged there. Hopefully no people/pets are inside any of them.

('Can't help but wonder how many flood-ruined cars will be sold out of state after having had their titles 'laundered' thru several other states by unscrupulous private individuals and/or car dealers. Buyers beware.)

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I heard on the radio today that the number of flooded vehicles is in excess of 600k....

I read in a newspaper it was a million.

And Irma is steaming towards Florida and is expected to make landfall as a Category 4 storm which would make the first time two Cat 4 storms hit the US in a single year for 102 years. The governor has already declared a state of emergency there.

Meanwhile, California and Oregon are busy burning down for lack of a good rainstorm. What we need is a big east-west water pipeline!

And Jose is just behind it, and supposed to become a Hurricane on Friday.

You have to wonder what's going on with the weather!

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
Looks like the country is in for another round with Hurricane Irma...and it is much more powerful than Harvey was...and now there's Jose? Geez!

Florida is going to get hammered by Irma! Let's hope our members in FL are evacuating and that they will still have homes, shops and projects left when Irma moves on! This one would not be a good one to ride out... :eek:

Doug

At our Corvette club meeting last night, our sponsoring dealer told us that there are approx. 1.25M cars & trucks that have been destroyed by Harvey and if you need a new or used car in the next 6 months, you should probably buy it now.

We are hearing that Irma will be more devastating than Andrew in 1992. I have a radar picture of Andrew just before it took the radar off the roof of the Miami weather centre roof. So I hope what we are hearing isn't true.

Good luck to everyone in its path, my thoughts are with you.

Back