Tire straps?

Has anyone tried using tire straps like these for towing? They go along the tread of the tire, up one side and down the other.

They use three J hooks, one each in front and behind the tire and then a third for the ratchet.

Car Carrier Wheel Strap w/ Wire Hooks & Adj Rubber Blocks & Ratchet - 4 Pack

WNTH32J-4PK_1_640.jpg

That's what I use, except my straps have the attachments that go directly into the e-track. Works good for low ground clearance and places where you don't want to hook onto the chassis or parts.

Thanks for the recommendations. Paul, your photo answers another question of mine (does the ratchet need to be inline with the other two hooks).

Has anyone used them with a narrow 155x13 tire?

I have a metal trailer with holes in the bed, so I use J hooks instead of an e-track.

BTW, this is what I currently use. It's a combination of a single strap with something like an axle strap that wraps around the top third of the tire. It's easy to use as long as there's clearance for your hands.

Attachments

• DSC_3256.JPG
    DSC_3256.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 809

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Ben, I would never use only an over-the-tire strap except for very short distances. We transported six cars in a transporter using those and after 3,000 miles (yes, a long trip), several of them had let go or come off. One of the cars only had one strap still holding properly. It scared the crap out of me. I only use the E-Track and the straps that go over AND around the tire. No issues yet.

Attachments

• IMG_1605.jpg
    IMG_1605.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 658
At the moment, I'm leaning towards tire basket straps. With an 8" or 10" wide tire (such as those on a GT40), I think that the straight tire straps will work well on my trailer, but I don't think they'll work well on my trailer with a car with narrow 155R13 on my trailer (I compared the car's width to the trailer's holes for the J-hooks).

US Cargo Control also makes tire basket straps with J-hooks. I'll need to order them and see if they'll fit a small tire.

Car Carrier Tire Holder Basket Straps w/ Swivel Hooks & Ratchet - 4 Pack

WNTH24-4PK_1_375.jpg

Back