Windshield interchange

The problem with Lexan are at least three fold. First they are "usually" screwed to the supporting edge of the fiberglass which is weak at best. I guess they could be glued, but that won't help much as they have a tendency to flex with the wind forces. Which leads to problem #2. The Lexan has to be supported "usually" right in the center of the opening to keep the flexing down(with enough they might blow into the cabin. The third problem is that they can't be driven on the street(not legal or DOT aproved). The shops that would be supplying the Lexan(not the race shops) have to go through about the same process to make them for your car which means you have to have your car in their shop where ever that is. Trust me I researched this long before I went the route I did.
The Desman Corp is on Lake Hartwell, just a few miles off I85 one of the largest lakes in the southeast. You could make a vacation out of the trip there. Lots of loging choices, hotels, cabins, VRBO and many other other recreation sites nearby, The Biltmore Mansion and other sites not far away, so there are many things to keep the family occupied.

Lake Hartwell Map

Bill

Did a quick search and found this thread which may help all you guys looking for screens.

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tech-exterior-interior-ac-trim/47470-need-windscreen.html?highlight=windscreens

Last edited:
I had mine professionally fitted by a local glass shop. They will install after I am out of paint with frame and drive train installed. I got the windshield from Rock Auto for $185 and $80 shipping.

Attachments

• windshieldNewOct2017$185RockAuto.bmp
    546.8 KB · Views: 335
Just did a search of rock autos page, not coming up, how did you word your request for parts, or is this a joke? When it comes to windshields not much of a sense of humor on this site

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I had mine professionally fitted by a local glass shop. They will install after I am out of paint with frame and drive train installed. I got the windshield from Rock Auto for $185 and $80 shipping.

What body are you using - that does not look like a normal GT40 Spider to me..

Its a Corvair Screen in the Kellison, not really relevant to this thread.

Back