GT40 experience England

I almost quit my GT40K build today when I read you can not weigh more than 20 stone to do the GT40 drives in England. It took a while I am 6 feet 0" tall shortest of my 13 cousins in Ireland and as it turns out I am 16 Stone or stones which ever is correct. I didn't realize that the 40 could not carry any one heavier. I was working on my door hinges this weekend and my daughter said that looked totally boring.lol. engineers may not be able to spell, but they seem to be able to put things together well. still summer here in Louisiana, hitting 90F nearly every day. we have 2days of winter usually in Jan or Feb. I get some super ideas from the builds on the forum and appreciate it very much. I think i have decided on bright white as a color. My wife says it will look like a washing machine so i will add a couple of blue Shelby stripes.
tom

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Nonsense

I would have to have been on a huge diet and had 3 inches chopped from my shins to meet those measurements!

Ian

Keith

Nonsense Ian, you are svelte mate..

Well, relatively speaking.. :laugh:

As long as you can drop that floor a tad, you can fit anyone in there. Even Jeremy Clarkson got in an original with a Gurney bubble fitted and they are considerably smaller than modern replicas.

Have another bag of fries! :thumbsup:

My ERA GT was builder is over 6ft tall and fits with no problem without the gurney bubble. For heavy driver just add the removable steering wheel for easy in and out

Lowered floor,

Attachments

• DSCF2213.JPG
    DSCF2213.JPG
    370.2 KB · Views: 389
  • DSCF2217.JPG
    DSCF2217.JPG
    330.8 KB · Views: 401

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Even Jeremy Clarkson got in an original with a Gurney bubble fitted and they are considerably smaller than modern replicas.

Would that be the whole automobile or just the inside, Keith?

I ask b/c it seems like a lot of the more successful replica builders have splashed their molds from original 40s, so externally the replicas should be no smaller or larger than the originals.

Just curious...I have yet to even get the chance to sit in a 40 replica, but at 5'10" (on a good day) and a slim weight of 150# think I will enjoy the experience. I like the smaller, more "cozy" cars, always have!

Cheers!

Doug

Dwight

RCR GT 40 Gulf Livery 347 Eight Stack injection
Doug you will fit into a 40.

I'm 5' 10" at 165 and I fit.

Dwight

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Doug you will fit into a 40.

I'm 5' 10" at 165 and I fit.

Dwight

Thanks for that, Dwight! I kind of figured I would, it's nice to hear from someone my size who now verifies that! I'd like to be at 163#, but at my age (almost 69) I'm struggling just to hold my weight, much less gain weight...and I eat like a horse!

Cheers!

Doug

Back