Ron McCall

Supporter
Speaking of beautiful work!!Check out these before and after pics!!

Attachments

• 20171025_121009.jpg
    20171025_121009.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 648

Kurtiss H.

Supporter
Amazing how much better that looks. From school bus to GT in one move! Amazing workmanship and thank you for posting and sharing all your modifications.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Wow Andy!

I often wondered how to effectively repair aluminum bodies... Do you have to anneal the metal first to soften it up so it can be re-worked without fracturing?

Ron McCall

Supporter
That's some pretty impressive work!
Your GT-R looks like it's ready for a test drive!!! How far are you from the maiden voyage???

Ron

Wow Andy!

I often wondered how to effectively repair aluminum bodies... Do you have to anneal the metal first to soften it up so it can be re-worked without fracturing?

Hi Randy, Just working with 3003 as it comes into the shop, only annealing where I'm rolling it around the steel round bar frame as its so tight. the biggest issue is welding to some of the old body which in places is a 1/32" or less and not the most clean of material. An interesting project though and my first go at this kind of thing.

H

That's some pretty impressive work!
Your GT-R looks like it's ready for a test drive!!! How far are you from the maiden voyage???

Ron

Hi Ron.
Once I get the Infinity boxes back and hopefully they do what there supposed to do then I'm just short of a couple of vital parts to help propel it forward, Ive been hoping for some time now that they will show up.

H

Wheel arches, fronts that is. Getting ever closer now.

colLwr.jpg

The rear upper arches that bond into the engine cover have now been modified from the race versions to fit the GT-R and have now gone to have molds made so they will be available soon, the whole arch kit will consist of eight pieces two front and six for the rear.

Ke9RmR.jpg

IMSyR9.jpg

Are those ever nice! I have been a little worried about the wheel well liners. so it is nice to know you have some. I understand that Fran will have some also. Thanks for thinking of us in making then available.

Turned up some standoffs for the tail gas struts today. The strut runs between the side of the upper wheel arch and the bumper frame.

oN1Vd2.jpg

YqyuHG.jpg

6IhUjH.jpg

whilst a pair of 60lbs struts hold the tail up right now I think that Ill have to go for a stronger pair once I've finished adding paint, trim and the rear window.

I,m still working on fitting the wheel arch sections that go in front and behind the rear wheels, making brackets to hold them in place and generally going around the body adding brackets and fasteners to hold it all in place.

Your hinged rear clamp is the target I (We) shoot for. Looks awesome and it is the right thing to do. I know it requires a bunch of details to get right, but worth the effort. Or I send my car to you.

Progress has slowed for sure, too many other projects going on. Not least of which is a new GT-R build for Jared, this build will also be a fun project, lots of extras already.
Mine is down to fiddly bits and pieces now, I'm trying to Finnish up the cold air delivery to the air filters, the air will enter from the ducts on the top of the engine cover into the rear arches then out the side of the arches into the air filter buckets.

Air enters here.

9zvRSe.jpg

Then into the wheel arch which is bonded to the engine cover.

xqhUIA.jpg

Then I'm creating these fences that will funnel the cool air into the air filter buckets, they will seal onto the air filter buckets with a rubber bubble seal as the engine cover closes.

4JK1HA.jpg

Z5Ji46.jpg

HyXbxB.jpg

Jared V

Supporter
I had the priviledge of seeing H's GT-R in person last week and I must say that the build log does not do it justice. H has seemlesly integrated many of the factory GT parts (unobtanium for most of us) to the RCR platform. There are too many fine details to fit in this build log. He even machined spacers in the chassis to eliminate the washers that the kit comes with to position the control arms. So many little but time consuming details are going into his car.

Back