Coolant tank scratch build.

Thought I would share some pictures of the coolant tank I built. The old tank was simply terribly wrong and I hated it. So I finally had a day to mock one up out of cardboard then fabricate an aluminum one from scratch. Way better! I hope you guys approve!

Attachments

• tank rough3.jpg
    tank rough3.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 1,020
  • tank rough2.jpg
    tank rough2.jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 694
  • tank rough1 (1).jpg
    tank rough1 (1).jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 542
  • coolant tank installed.jpg
    coolant tank installed.jpg
    412.5 KB · Views: 728
  • tank finished.jpg
    tank finished.jpg
    550.1 KB · Views: 843
  • rear pic gt40.jpg
    rear pic gt40.jpg
    398.1 KB · Views: 965

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Looks really good Ken - you’re quite an accomplished weldor as well!

Chuck

Supporter
Very nice work. Beautiful welds. Nice thick material, which is good.

Since that header tank is pressurized, any concerns about the hose as a level indicator? Guessing there will some hefty hose clamps on that hose.

Will there be a separate expansion tank connectecd to the radiator cap fitting? The expansion tank would be a good place for a clear hose style level indicator. Set up in that manner, our header tank remains completely full at all times while level in the expansion tank will vary.

Very nice work. Beautiful welds. Nice thick material, which is good.

Since that header tank is pressurized, any concerns about the hose as a level indicator? Guessing there will some hefty hose clamps on that hose.

Will there be a separate expansion tank connectecd to the radiator cap fitting? The expansion tank would be a good place for a clear hose style level indicator. Set up in that manner, our header tank remains completely full at all times while level in the expansion tank will vary.

The tank does have a clear reinforced hose that holds 70psi @175 degrees. I have used it before in similar applications and it lasts for years! I always end up changing them just to keep a nice clear color. Hose clamps are a must!
The cap fitting does have a hose fitting coming out of it. Right now the overflow dumps under the car but I will make a small tank to catch it because I want to use this car on the track.
the tank is very heavy duty, about .125 inches thick aluminum sheet, and the mounting tabs are .25" x2" x 4" with 5/16th grade 8 bolts. fittings are OTS brass NPT and the aluminum threaded bosses I spun on my manual lathe then welded them in. fun times!

Ken,
Have you made any in stainless? I was planning to weld up a few in stainless over the winter. There are weld on radiator necks available in stainless so that's not an issue. I'm curious to see if a thin sheet stainless tank will weigh less than a comparable sized aluminum tank...

I am not sure about the stainless sheet as far as cracks being so thin as to weigh less than aluminum. aluminum has a great strength to weight ratio. very little in automotive is made in stainless as far as tanks and frames... might be for a reason I don't know of. I do know that stainless is heavy! steel typically is 2.5 times more dense (heavy) than aluminum. so the same tank weight made out of 1/8 inch aluminum would need to be 2x thinner to try to compete in weight. that's thin! but they would look nice and shinny if polished and would stay shinny way longer. it may be better to make a thick one to avoid steel from cracking at the corners if it is thin.

After a good temperature cycle the tank is functioning perfectly! As you can see I fabricated a mounting plate so that I could make the maintenance part much easier. The coolant level is expanding and cooling perfectly and is an easy check with the clear reinforced hose.

Attachments

• IMG_20171230_101824_034.jpg
    IMG_20171230_101824_034.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 481
Back