GT40s.com Paddock Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Scientific American had a recent article about guns. Summarizing the article with the best generalization I can:
1) Locations with the most guns have the greatest gun deaths.
2) Locations with the least guns have the least gun deaths.
3) That the author shot a gun for the first time in her life (during the research), and was surprised by the instant feeling that with this in my hand, I fear little.
4) Presence of a gun in a house results in a 6X increase of the risk of being shot by a family member versus being shot by an intruder.
5) That the gun lobby has pressured lawmakers to defund any gun-death research.

One focus of the article was a town in Georgia where the local law requires gun ownership by all residence.

Good read for anyone who wishes to argue for/against gun ownership/regulation/safety.

Link? Google isn't cooperating...

More Guns Do Not Stop More Crimes, Evidence Shows - Scientific American

Crude odds??? A note in the article.

Locations with the most guns have the greatest gun deaths. This would make you believe that the cities with the strictest gun control (Chicago, LA, New Orleans, Detroit, New York, Washington) have the most guns.

Locations with the least guns have the least gun deaths. Common sense statement. Places with fewer snakes have fewer snake bites.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
More Guns Do Not Stop More Crimes, Evidence Shows - Scientific American

Crude odds??? A note in the article.

Locations with the most guns have the greatest gun deaths. This would make you believe that the cities with the strictest gun control (Chicago, LA, New Orleans, Detroit, New York, Washington) have the most guns.

Locations with the least guns have the least gun deaths. Common sense statement. Places with fewer snakes have fewer snake bites.

From the above article:

"But about 30 careful studies (???!) show more guns are linked to more crimes: murders, rapes, and others. Far less research shows that guns help."

You don't suppose, as I mentioned earlier, the REASON "far less research shows that guns help" is because law agencies don't keep STATS on incidents wherein bad guys were deterred or flat out ENDED by a good guy with a gun? That is, the death of a perp killed in the commission of a home invasion, robbery, or what-have-you is just LUMPED IN with all the other gun deaths w/o any distinction made regarding the circumstances?

Anyway - I'll read the whole article when the Mrs. and I get back home...

Thanks for the link, Al. ;)

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Actually the article did compare actual (reported) crimes in which guns were used as a defense, and the rate of "protection", based on actual police reports was less than the surveys based on "have you every used a gun to defend yourself". It was a very small rate.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
He's maned up and admitted not only what he did but also that his actions were reprehensible. He's even asked for an ethics investigation and promises to cooperate fully, and I don't doubt that he will, based on his responses so far. He seems truly contrite.

Part of me says "Hey, a lot of this happened long ago when we were not so careful about things like sexual "harassment"...and the other part of me says it should have never been OK.

...and another thing...when does simply asking a woman to go on a date become "harassment"...there must be a fine line somewhere.

I think what the Trumpdylite "Roy Moore" did was much more out-of-bounds. What 30 year old actively pursues and harasses teenage girls in public locations, like a mall? He's scum!!

There will surely be more to come forward with complaints against our political heroes. Political power can be a rather "invigorating" situation and there are many women who flock to politicians like groupies to the Grateful Dead concerts...if we are going to say that certain individuals' actions are unacceptable, we really need to look at when those actions occurred and what the prevailing mores regarding dating were at the time of the "infraction". To judge those long-ago actions using the values we purport to embrace in this day and age seems a bit heavy handed to me.

Just MHO, though!

Cheers!

Doug

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
thumbnail

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
To judge those long-ago actions using the values we purport to embrace in this day and age seems a bit heavy handed to me.

Just MHO, though!

Cheers!

Doug

I'm in the same boat, except when one denies the original misguided, questionable, or inappropriate behavior ever happened. It's easier to forgive for a prior indiscretion, than to accept continual denials that it ever happened in the face of overwhelming testimonials. That response tells me nothing was learned from the previous experience, and that honesty and integrity are meaningless to that person.

Last edited:
Our Moron-In-Chief nastily tweets about Franken, but keeps quiet about Moore. And then there's all those women, who claim Trump sexually harrassed them, plus there's that video tape of him with Billy Bush on the bus. His hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Thankfully, Mueller is working in the background building his case(s).

Lastly, I'd like to point out that Shep Smith, over at Fox News, is the only sane person left on that network, besides Chris Wallace.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Our Moron-In-Chief nastily tweets about Franken, but keeps quiet about Moore. And then there's all those women, who claim Trump sexually harrassed them, plus there's that video tape of him with Billy Bush on the bus. His hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Birds of a feather stick together, Rod...and yes, there does seem to be somewhat of a "double standard" in effect, doesn't there?

I guess that's SOP for this "Moron-in-chief", though, from what I've seen.

Sadly, this time...no cheers!

Doug

When I was young, my parents told me that it doesn't cost anything to compliment someone. With all this sexual innuendo crap going on, it kind of makes one take pause before offering a compliment to a women. Telling a women that she looks nice could get you in trouble.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
When I was young, my parents told me that it doesn't cost anything to compliment someone. With all this sexual innuendo crap going on, it kind of makes one take pause before offering a compliment to a women. Telling a women that she looks nice could get you in trouble.

You’re right...
I learned a long time ago while working for Corporate America - unless the person is working for you, you keep your mouth shut. The only time to open your mouth in regard to someone’s appearance is if that person is in violation of Corporate Policy (dress code)...
Making any other non-solicited remarks is a great way to be dismissed from your job as most HR Departments find it easier/cheaper to get rid of you than to deal with a sexual harassment suit (bogus or not)....

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter

You’re right...
I learned a long time ago while working for Corporate America - unless the person is working for you, you keep your mouth shut. The only time to open your mouth in regard to someone’s appearance is if that person is in violation of Corporate Policy (dress code)...
Making any other non-solicited remarks is a great way to be dismissed from your job as most HR Departments find it easier/cheaper to get rid of you than to deal with a sexual harassment suit (bogus or not)....

Ppppppppppft..........if I feel a compliment is in order - I'LL GIVE IT. I flat-out r-e-f-u-s-e to bow to "p.c." on any level.

'TIRED of that crap... :evil:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Ppppppppppft..........if I feel a compliment is in order - I'LL GIVE IT. I flat-out r-e-f-u-s-e to bow to "p.c." on any level.

'TIRED of that crap... :evil:

No longer in the work-force eh Larry?
You’d not last long in a Corp America job.... Sad to say... :sad:

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
No longer in the work-force eh Larry?
You’d not last long in a Corp America job.... Sad to say... :sad:

The REASON all the cowardly, "p.c."-blessed male/female 'pussyfooting around' is going on in the workplace as well as everywhere ELSE in our society today is because NO ONE ever stood up to all that crap when it first reared its ugly head. Obviously there are APPROPRIATE/INAPPROPRIATE times/places to say many things, but, I'll never be convinced there's anything wrong with, say, telling a stunning woman she IS stunning...or her 'outfit' is stunning...or her hairdo...or whatever...especially when one means it...and that's the ONLY circumstance in which I will say something like that. In fact, I DID that very thing yesterday.

While passing thru the lobby of our local hospital, I caught an almost blinding 'flash' from a very LARGE diamond wedding ring on the finger of a woman seated with her back to me. As I passed by, I pointed to her ring and said, "Stunning ring"...and as she turned to acknowledge the compliment, I noticed she was STUNNING as well ...so I quickly added, "...not nearly as stunning as you, Ma'am...but stunning none the less. Have a great Thanksgiving"...and, as I started to walk away, she bid me a Happy Thanksgiving as well and added what I believe to her was simply a more-or-less socially obligatory, "Aren't you just so charming" (obviously SHE didn't/doesn't know me as well as those on this board!). 'True story.

Now, I ask you...WHAT was wrong with my having done that?????

Answer: N-O-T-H-I-N-G.

HOW could that in any way have been considered an "unwanted advance", blah, blah, blah?

Answer: It couldn't. Not by any SANE person anyway.

Who knows, in some small way that exchange may have even "made her day" - and it had cost NEITHER of us a darned thing.

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Rules are different for workplaces Larry...
You might get away with it, but if that woman was a peer or subordinate, you’d likely not be there for very long...
I’m not saying I agree with all the PC, Diversity, Inclusion stuff Larry - but I know all too well what happens to people that buck the system...

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
...I’m not saying I agree with all the PC, Diversity, Inclusion stuff Larry...

...that was obvious.

- but I know all too well what happens to people that buck the system...

...so do I, which prompted my rant above.

'Pretty darned ridiculous when a completely innocent compliment can land someone in hot water anywhere.

The world truly has gone nuts...'mostly because we allowed "p.c." to get a foothold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back