possibly the sickest engine/tran package for an SLC ??

Hyder

Supporter
Top of my list for domestic V8 would have to be the Ford Voodoo - IF only you could buy one! Only source would be a GT350 mustang.
DOHC, Flat Crank, 8200 rpm, 540hp with room for more.
Must be said though, the LS fits the bill perfectly for 3 very sensible reasons - power, cost, and reliability!
Some of us just arent very Sensible when it comes to these things - first and formost myself!

Thanks Ian. Very different looking gearbox. Rated at 450hp with 7 speeds, unless you change it to a 5 or 6 speed. Not necessarily a bad thing mind you. Do you know if it has a reverse? Don't see it in the specs.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Ian. Very different looking gearbox. Rated at 450hp with 7 speeds, unless you change it to a 5 or 6 speed. Not necessarily a bad thing mind you. Do you know if it has a reverse? Don't see it in the specs.

I know nothing more than I have read about it
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/all-gt40...html?highlight=Quaife+sequential+brands+hatch
Shows one in a GT40 being hustled around Brands Hatch
Perhaps send a PM to Mike Pass and ash him about it

And
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/all-gt40/45154-new-quaife-gearbox-tested-gt40.html?highlight=Quaife

Regards
Ian

Last edited:

Glenn M

Supporter
I drove that Gearbox in their GT40. It is a stonking gearbox, really well thought out and very strong. Very easy to change the ratios. And yes it has reverse.

You have a PM Dave.

More for us to think about with the BMW V-8.
. . . the engine—the 2018 M5 uses the same basic powerplant as the 560-hp 2011–2017 M5, mildly updated. It is now a 600 hp, twin-turbo, 4.4-liter V-8 known within BMW as the S63B44T4. S is the typical designator for production M engines (ordinary BMW motors use the prefixes N, M, or B). The second number is displacement—the M5’s engine is 4.4 liters. The T bit represents a technical update—this is the fourth major update the S63 has received since the design was launched, in the 2010 X5 M and X6 M. (The changes for the ’18 M5 are in detail: new turbochargers with larger compressors, a new oil pump, and so on.)

The S63 is a neat mill. Its layout is colloquially referred to as “hot vee”—the engine’s exhaust manifolds rest inside the vee made by the the cylinder heads and block, as opposed to outside it. The engine's intakes live on the side of each head—the place where a traditional vee engine puts its exhaust. This sort of setup is occasionally referred to as “reverse flow,” because it mirrors how the majority of vee engines, automotive or not, have operated for the past century. BMW chose it to maximize responsiveness; the layout allows for a clever (and patented) exhaust manifold that would be practically impossible in a cold-vee setup. Along with a nontraditional firing order, the arrangement allows the engine’s turbochargers to be fed exhaust pulses at even intervals. Which results in more linear power delivery—and less turbo lag.

Short version, made palatable for people who aren’t tech doofuses: The S63 is built in a cool, nontraditional way, chasing linear response, a BMW hallmark.

Like its predecessor—like every S63—the new M5’s engine produces torque everywhere. Virtually any point on the tach, in buckets, great flowing gobs of the stuff. It is a firehose of violence. In terms of power delivery and character, it is one of the great modern engines, a shocking combination of linear thrust and willingness to rev. There is lag, but it is so minimal that you barely notice.

. . .

. . . power isn’t that much different—the F90’s 600 hp was essentially matched by the 600 hp in the F10 Limited Edition—but its delivery seems to have been massaged to be smoother . . .
From a Road & Track article on the latest BMW M-5.

OK Les, here's a candidate for smaller engine:

1.5l V6
david-sexton-albums-images-picture1715-d05c16f5-8740-4547-b8af-f7e6e672e60e.jpg

What's not to like? Small, lots of horsepower and very light. I know where two are for sale right now.

mercedes-amg-m178-04-1.jpg

Aston Martin Vantage V8

2018 Aston Martin Vantage review - Vantage leaves an impressive first impression | Evo

Listen to this!

"It seems that almost the first thing anyone says about the new Vantage (after ‘that’s quite a large grille’) is something to do with it having a Mercedes engine. Yes, it has the same 4-litre V8 with two turbos sitting inside the V as plenty of AMG models. However, I don’t think this is a bad thing. In fact it is a very good thing because it is one of if not the best of the current crop of turbocharged performance engines. Moreover, it has been retuned by Aston Martin and I think it might be even better in the British car. It has a fantastically linear delivery and the throttle response in particular is stunningly good - so good in fact that that it’s pretty much impossible to tell that it is turbocharged.

"The sound is obviously important and here again the Vantage is onto a winner. Listen hard and you can detect elements of AMG in the noise, but it sounds remarkably like the old Vantage’s naturally aspirated 4.7-litre V8. Big, heavy on the bass and almost a bit American in character, it is glorious. Full-bore upshifts in Sport Plus mode are accompanied by some terrific explosions that sound like there could be a host of tiny pyromaniacs partying in the exhausts."

Last edited:
Back