Winged Dzus fasteners

Hello
I know this subject has been covered before, but I think unresolved. I would like some winged Dzus fasteners but I know you cannot buy them. I can make them myself if I had the dimension of the wing. I have not been to any period race meets in the last few years otherwise I would have measured a set. Does anyone have access to a car that could measure the profile of the wing for me?
Thank you in advance
Adrian

Adrian,
I have a drawing also but can't get it to you for a day or two. I don't see why you can't tig weld the wing to a modern day standard Dzus fastener. I am planning to do the same but it's low priority at the moment.

Adrian,

I had several laser cut out of stainless steel and then we used a laser welder to attach them to the Dzus fasteners. I have measured a winged Dzus on Randy's original GT40, and Bob Putnam's drawing is very close to what I measured but my measured dimensions were slightly larger.

I made my wings slightly smaller than the original, but very close to Bob's drawing.

Be aware that the pop rivet holes are not aligned with the direction of the slot in a Dzus fastener, so you will have to clock the fastener slightly to get the wing to align with the airflow.

-Bob Woods
Tornado GT40 in Texas

Attachments

• Dzus wing 2.jpg
    Dzus wing 2.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 664
  • Dzus closeup.jpg
    Dzus closeup.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 1,184
  • Dzus clocking.jpg
    Dzus clocking.jpg
    350 KB · Views: 928
Adrian,
Dr. Bob has the same drawing I have. You can scale it down till it fits the dimension of your fastener.

Like Bob said, it's good practice IMO to index the fastener so the slot is aligned with the airflow, even without the 'wings'. It gives you a quick visual during your walkaround if one of the fasteners is not fully locked...

Last edited:

Mike Pass

Supporter
This is the drawing I have of the original winged Dzus. The ones on my GTD are different so I have attached the drawing for those as well. The slot is roughed with a Dremel disk wheel and then the wings in 14 gauge steel are silver soldered into the slots and then rechromed.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• GT40 Dzustab 2 off orig.gif
    GT40 Dzustab 2 off orig.gif
    8.5 KB · Views: 703
  • Red GTD Dzus tabs inch.jpg
    Red GTD Dzus tabs inch.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 719
Hello All

Thank you for all of the responses. I have printed out the various iterations and I will check which size fits my fasteners.

I will make sure that they are fitted the correct way round as my fastners are not all facing the same direction.

I get my small items profile cut by a company I use and they always have a minimum quantity, which is usually half an 8 by 4 sheet so there will a lot left over so if anyne wants some let me know.

Best Adrian

Mike,

I hope you are better at silver soldering than I was. See if you can find a micro laser welder. I didn't have to rechrome. I didn't do anything to them after welding.

-Bob Woods
Tornado GT40 in Texas

There a 6 fasteners on my CAV, 4 on the nostril and 2 on the back edge of the front clip.
They have been fitted in such a way that some of the grooves are in line with the car, i.e. forward to back, and some are at 90 degrees to the car, across the car. I will have to fill in the cross ways grooves as I attach the wings. If I bronze weld them on it will be easier to fill in the groove on the cross ways ones, rather than silver solder, tig or laser weld.
I will then get them zinc plated as that is how the fasteners are finished.

Mitch Krause

Supporter
Adrian

For what it is worth, the welding guy that I spoke with was less than confident that he could weld the Dsuz fastener without really scarring if badly (I guess that doesn't matter if you can get them recoated), and also had some concerns that it might warp or something since it was relatively small and thin. I ended up affixing the wings with Loctite medium gray metal epoxy. It is very strong, I did some tests and used a pliers to try and break the seals and it is plenty strong enough to stand up to even the hardest you can turn the fastener by hand. I think the look is OK also, as it is not very noticeable. I attached a picture of the final product to show you what I have.

Attachments

• DSUZ_Epoxy.jpg
    DSUZ_Epoxy.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 816
Mitch,

That is a very good solution. I should have tried that. I have some 3M 08115 epoxy that body shops use as a replacement for welding. It is slightly stronger in shear than the Loctite, but comes in a larger dispenser.

I have some spare wings and it sounds like Adrian will have a bunch of them if someone else wants to make winged Dzus fasteners now that you have a easy fix.

-Bob Woods

Hello Mitch

Thank you for the tip. I will have a look at doing that way also.

I will have a go at bronze welding to see it the fasteners can stand the heat. I do not mind breaking a few eggs to get a good result. I do it quite regularly in my restoration business.
Hopefully, and if I remember and can find the thread again later I will share my results.

Adrian

Now I have stepped into the minefield. Finding good quality Dzus fasteners is a little harder than I thought.
Does anyone have any preference on sizes, manufacturer, supplier or head type. There seem to be flush fitting heads and countersunk heads...and spring loaded.

Mike Pass

Supporter
The Dzus I have on my GTD were marked EHF6 - 60. I tried to buy some more to make up a few winged sets but i would need to buy too large a quantity so went no further with it. Pic of the sizes of the ones on my car attached.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• Dzus dimensions GTD.bmp
    916.6 KB · Views: 1,785
Hello Mitch

Thank you for the tip. I will have a look at doing that way also.

I will have a go at bronze welding to see it the fasteners can stand the heat. I do not mind breaking a few eggs to get a good result. I do it quite regularly in my restoration business.
Hopefully, and if I remember and can find the thread again later I will share my results.

Adrian

I think we silver-soldered ours together.

I can tig weld them for you but it will burn the zinc off even using silver bronze. You could have them cut out of stainless I don't know what it would look like after trying to re zinc them. All stainless would be best. Rod

Dzus fasteners for CAV GT 40

I have CAV GT40 Ser #170. I need a Dzus fastener/latch for the rear clam shell. Don't need the round fasteners.

Any ideas?
Thanks for any help.

Back