Hi guys and gals .... I'm not using my 40 yet IVA in January ,,,,,,,,,, I have running in oil in my engine 302 ..... How long should this be left in ? ..I am running it up now and again .. so when I change the oil and filter what oil do you guys use ?? I used Valvoline in my Cobra with no problem . Would you use this ...or ... other

Thanks all John..

Ron Earp

Admin
I use oil that is slippery, typically carmel colored.

In 15 years of racing I've never had a failure related to brand of oil. I have had various failures related to lack of oil though, so one thing is certain, you need oil.

If Valvoline is slippery you're good to go. If not, then I'd look at changing brands.

Mike Pass

Supporter
Flat or roller tappet? Roller cams nowhere near as fussy so most quality oils of the correct viscosity should be good.
I have flat tappet cam and use Lucas racing Oil which has the highest ZDDP content of any oil as this was recommended by engine builder. I used to use Valvoline VR1 but changed on their advice as the they had lowered the zinc content. There is a website where every brand of oil is tested for content and ultimate fail loading. Lucas Racing Oil comes out top. Joe Gibbs Racing Oil is also well rated. It is worth noting that the different types of Mobil 1 synthetic have quite varied levels of additives.

Cheers
Mike

Its not so much about the oil as what you do in the engine build to prevent issues like cam wear etc. It also matters a great deal on how you, the owner treat the engine.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Its not so much about the oil as what you do in the engine build to prevent issues like cam wear etc. It also matters a great deal on how you, the owner treat the engine.
Agreed. My DD Toyota just rolled past 180K miles. I change oil regularly and always let it start to move the temp gauge needle before pulling away and putting any load on it. I grease driveline every oil change and am still on the original u-joints. Truck drives as tight as it did when new. Fuel consumption is less now than when new. Zero oil consumption. I've replaced left from hub and that is it. I expect it to easily make it to 300K with minimal fuss.

I'm running the high zinc Joe Gibbs oil in the GT40. Treat it with even more respect than the Toy.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Something to consider on the zink content issue. Oil manufactures change the blend of their oil from time to time. Usually this is a result of regulation. This how we got into this mess to begin with. What was once a fine oil with plenty of zink in it might change from one oil change to another. This a hard thing to keep on top of.

So another idea would be to use whatever oil you like and add zink with each change insuring safe zink content each time. I use name brand 30 weight (whatever is on sale).

I change my oil in my GT40 and SLC each winter without regard to mileage. Usually less than 2000 -3000 miles.

Here's what I use:

ZDDPlus – Maintain proper ZDDP levels in your engine

Back