X Mass greetings

To all of the group that is GT40's, firstly a big thank you for all the kind words and encouragement over this past year, it all paid off thankfully and the Macca is finished.
So to each and all i would like to wish you a very merry X Mass, may Santa bring lots of goodies for your projects, and may you have a safe and prosperous new year.
ho ho bloody ho
cheers John

Merry Christmas to you too John. :)
Thanks for all your work on my latest project and thanks also to those who helped by providing parts.

Tim.

Could someone tell me what the object is of taking Christ out of Christmas. If you don't believe in the birth of Christ, don't celebrate it. Merry Christmas.

Ok, I haven’t done much here lately so I’ll make up for it by writing a small book in defense of John’s message..

See sources (amongst many) such as Xmas Abbreviation - The abbreviation of ‘Xmas’ for ‘Christmas’ is neither modern nor disrespectful. The notion that it is a new and vulgar representation of the word ‘Christmas’ seems to stem from the erroneous belief that the letter ‘X’ is used to stand for the word ‘Christ’ because of its resemblance to a cross, or that the abbreviation was deliberately concocted “to take the ‘Christ’ out of Christmas.”

Actually, this usage is nearly as old as Christianity itself, and its origins lie in the fact that the first letter in the Greek word for ‘Christ’ is ‘chi,’ and the Greek letter ‘chi’ is represented by a symbol similar to the letter ‘X’ in the modern Roman alphabet. Hence ‘Xmas’ is indeed perfectly legitimate abbreviation for the word ‘Christmas’ (just as ‘Xian’ is also sometimes used as an abbreviation of the word ‘Christian’).

None of this means that Christians (and others) aren’t perhaps justified in feeling a little miffed when people take the shortcut of writing ‘Xmas’ rather than ‘Christmas,’ but the point is that the abbreviation was not created specifically for the purpose of demeaning Christ, Christians, Christianity, or Christmas: it’s a very old artifact of a very different language.

Snopes was just the first reference I found but I saw references to this decades ago in religious groups when I cared about such things.

BTW - if I remember correctly, Christ isn’t a name, it means anointed.

Once again I wish you all a Merry Christmas/Xmas/holidays or whatever it is you do at this time.
Especially to the unhappy and unhealthy.

Tim.
(I am no longer religious, but lost soul that I am, I keep getting invited to join in Christmas celebrations by people that are - they remind me of an inclusive someone I learned about as a kid, he said things about the dangers of judging others and some stuff about specks and planks in eyes...

Attacking a message that is simply wishing people joy, happiness, merriment etc speaks volumes about the attacker.
Patent US20120313060 - Decking and plank removal tool - Google Patents

Ok, I haven’t done much here lately so I’ll make up for it by writing a small book in defense of John’s message..

See sources (amongst many) such as Xmas Abbreviation - The abbreviation of ‘Xmas’ for ‘Christmas’ is neither modern nor disrespectful. The notion that it is a new and vulgar representation of the word ‘Christmas’ seems to stem from the erroneous belief that the letter ‘X’ is used to stand for the word ‘Christ’ because of its resemblance to a cross, or that the abbreviation was deliberately concocted “to take the ‘Christ’ out of Christmas.”

Actually, this usage is nearly as old as Christianity itself, and its origins lie in the fact that the first letter in the Greek word for ‘Christ’ is ‘chi,’ and the Greek letter ‘chi’ is represented by a symbol similar to the letter ‘X’ in the modern Roman alphabet. Hence ‘Xmas’ is indeed perfectly legitimate abbreviation for the word ‘Christmas’ (just as ‘Xian’ is also sometimes used as an abbreviation of the word ‘Christian’).

None of this means that Christians (and others) aren’t perhaps justified in feeling a little miffed when people take the shortcut of writing ‘Xmas’ rather than ‘Christmas,’ but the point is that the abbreviation was not created specifically for the purpose of demeaning Christ, Christians, Christianity, or Christmas: it’s a very old artifact of a very different language.

Snopes was just the first reference I found but I saw references to this decades ago in religious groups when I cared about such things.

BTW - if I remember correctly, Christ isn’t a name, it means anointed.

Once again I wish you all a Merry Christmas/Xmas/holidays or whatever it is you do at this time.
Especially to the unhappy and unhealthy.

Tim.
(I am no longer religious, but lost soul that I am, I keep getting invited to join in Christmas celebrations by people that are - they remind me of an inclusive someone I learned about as a kid, he said things about the dangers of judging others and some stuff about specks and planks in eyes...

Attacking a message that is simply wishing people joy, happiness, merriment etc speaks volumes about the attacker.
Patent US20120313060 - Decking and plank removal tool - Google Patents

It was a question, not an attack.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Stop, stop, stop.
You are all a lovely bunch of guys.
Just get on with the festive period and not tearing each others eyes out.
peace and good will to every one of you.

Dave M

Good lord ive just resigned from one forum i'd been a member of for 15 years because political correctness reared its ugly head, so i was thoroughly canned for calling the Macca a replica,
and now i get got at for wishing people a merry X Mass,
and just for you Al i am indeed a christian.

its a sad day indeed.
Kaspa

Happy Friday to one and all! :thumbsup:

And this is not meant to discriminate against those in the world, whose day has moved on to Saturday. To them I wish a Happy Saturday!

Whatever your celebrations and views, I wish you all a very Happy time of year.

Here's looking forward to a fun 2018!

Back