930 transaxle puking fluid?

They are not Holy just metal. Plan carefully and ask questions, look at exploded views of your box and drill yout will be happy you did!

Found a problem with the catch can idea - there's nowhere for me to put it that doesn't form a p-trap with the hose, or have the catch can hanging very low on the car (bottom of catch can around bottom of transaxle ... I'd be worried about some manometer effect I didn't think of and somehow accidentally end up draining the transaxle) or have the hose hitting the exhaust

So i went to the simpler solution - I ran a ~10'' section of -6 hose straight(ish) up from the original vent location then stuck the oem vent into the other end, hose clamped it on and attached it to my roll cage with a rubber insulated mounting clip, pointing vent hole slightly up-ish

this way any fluid slung into it will naturally bleed back down into the transaxle and the only way fluid should come out is if the fluid has to vent from pressure (at least I hope that's the only reason).

Hopefully this solves my issue - I drove the piss out of my 917 for a few miles and when i got back it the area was bone-dry. First time in 2yrs.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Now you see why I didn't add this other catch can. No room, plus I didn't want yet more weight on the rear. You may have finally found your solution.

Now you see why I didn't add this other catch can. No room, plus I didn't want yet more weight on the rear. You may have finally found your solution.

in theory the catch can seemed like a great idea :)

I was a bit concerned that if any fluid ever blew out it'd spew everywhere (since the oem fitting is now essentially elevated a foot), so 1'' in front of the fitting i zip tied a 1'' piece of cut open heater hose and pointed it down the side of the transaxle .... this way if the fitting ever blows fluid the cut-open heater hose will act like a splash shield and drain any fluid down the side of the transaxle (and then i'll know it blew out some when it's a gooey mess down there that needs cleanup)

fancy, i know :)

As follow up after I relocated the vent fitting the transaxle never puked out any fluid out again. Yaaay, simple solution; wish I'd known that when I was on the dyno - during each run it was spraying fluid everywhere ... nasty!

Where did the fitting end up?

I used a -8 hose, ran it up and to the right about 10'' where I zip tied the original fitting onto the roll cage ~10''

Your original idea - attach a tube that goes straight up with an air filter on the end - would have also worked, but in this case I didn't have too much clearance above the transaxle so I just used hose and relocated the fitting.

Back